Thread: KWallet for SVN via PuTTY

Question KWallet for SVN via PuTTY

Hi, all.

I have an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed virtual machine set up where I log in via PuTTY to do my development. This involves the use of SVN. I don't like the idea of storing passwords as plain text, so when KDE Wallet popped up in the first place while setting up the machine and doing my first check out on the GUI (Konsole) I happily accepted it.

However, whenever I try to use SVN from PuTTY, KWallet does not ask for my wallet password on the PuTTY terminal, but on the GUI of the virtual machine and I can't even <CTRL> + <C> the KDE Wallet password away to enter my SVN password (as one would do without any password manager). All I can do is to switch to the virtual machine and enter KWallet password there or cancel the request. Now imagine if I would SSH into the machine from home instead of the office. I would be stuck forever until a good Samaritan would handle the GUI prompt every time I need to use SVN (with authentication).

My question is: is there any way to tell KWallet to ask for the password through the terminal the request came from, not through the server's GUI?

I can disable KWallet in ~/.subversion/config, but I'd rather use it if it supports the terminal.

Thanks,
    --
    Shakaron

Blog Entries

Default Re: KWallet for SVN via PuTTY

When you post something like this, details are important, in this case you have to describe the syntax (command example) when you're making your remote connection.

So, more specifically in your case are you really passing both your kwallet username and password in your connection string?
    And, in the case of something like kwallet you might consider that the values might have to be hashed(I don't know if that's the case here). A quick Google search doesn't turn up any "kwallet svn putty" results, but I'd guess that your putty should be configured with whatever works using ssh. If you need to, set up another Guest running Linux and try to ssh to discover the working connection string, then use that string in putty.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi TSU,

thank you for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    A quick Google search doesn't turn up any "kwallet svn putty" results.
    I started with some Googling of course and after 15 - 30 minutes, I couldn't find anything that described what my problem is, let alone how to solve it. So that's why I figured I should ask this on the OpenSUSE forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    When you post something like this, details are important, in this case, you have to describe the syntax (command example) when you're making your remote connection.
    Yes, agreed on the details. I just did not know what else is required. So, connection details: I am not exactly sure what you need for connection details. I just pass the server and enter the user credentials when prompted. No kWallet is involved in the login, as far as I am concerned. I don't even think username and password are stored in my kWallet.

The problem is not limited to PuTTy. I just tried SSH-ing from a physical Linux machine's terminal (non-GUI) (OpenSUSE 10 or something ancient) to my virtual machine with command
    Code:
    ssh [IP]
    I entered the password (same username on both machines) and that's about it.

Then I ran
    Code:
    svn up
    and the kWallet password request popped up on the virtual machine's graphics screen, not the physical machine's terminal was asking for the credentials.

So what else shall I provide for a better description of my problem? (I'm not an expert Linux user.)

Thank you and kind regards,
    --
    Shakaron
    Last edited by Shakaron; 06-Jul-2017 at 17:16. Reason: grammar

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure kwallet isn't supposed to be used to store server-side credentials, only client-side.

You should instead set up SSH authentication using public/private keys.

The following is one of many tutorials on the Internet which contain steps for generating the key using putygen. After you generate your keys, you can upload the public key to your server

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...nnect-to-a-vps

If you want more info on configuring the Server or configuring support for Linux clients, then the SDB SSH can be consulted

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configure_openSSH

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi TSU,

thanks for the links. I'll get through them to have a better grasp of things of what's going on. This would happen next week only as my working hours are almost over.

Thanks and kind regards,
    --
    Shakaron