Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582

    Question openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    In the *buntu world, aptik is a marvellous utility program "for migrating system settings and data to a fresh install of a Ubuntu-based distribution. It can be used while re-installing or upgrading to the next Ubuntu/Linux Mint release". In my usage it's especially useful for automating the installation of all the same programs on PC-B as you might already have on PC-A. http://www.teejeetech.in/p/aptik.html

    Can anyone pls tell me if something similar exists in the openSUSE Tumbleweed world? Note - i'm not talking merely about programs to back up a User's data; that's comparatively trivial, & different.

  2. #2

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    Have you found 'machinery' yet?

    https://software.opensuse.org/package/machinery
    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    Have you found 'machinery' yet?

    https://software.opensuse.org/package/machinery
    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.
    Thank you. No, i'd not known of it before. I installed it direct from main repos, in one of my testing VMs just to look at it. I suspect it's probably a bit above my head unfortunately --- aptik is nice for amateurs like me due to its comfy GUI

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    GUI you say? Crazy! ;-)

    https://machinery-project.blogspot.d...ux-system.html


    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    GUI you say? Crazy! ;-)

    https://machinery-project.blogspot.d...ux-system.html


    --
    Good luck.
    Well yes, i'm quite sure that i am bonkers. Thanks for the link; it looks interesting. Initially i thought it still couldn't help me as i misunderstood, thinking it only produced a static listing of what my system currently is. I became rather interested though once i read:
    Service migration
    Migrate your services from one kind of system to another. Migrate physical systems to the cloud. Migrate from one operating system version to another. Do this in a repeatable, documented way, which can be adapted to your needs.
    ...which is the entire point of Aptik, & what i seek here now in openSUSE... a way to automate or at least semi-automate the process of me being able to mimic my setup on a different pc, without having to manually install every package myself, the second time. I shall need to study Machinery more, to decide if it really might satisfy my objective. Thanks once again.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,648
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    On Thu 06 Jul 2017 02:26:03 AM CDT, GooeyGirl wrote:

    ab;2828905 Wrote:
    > GUI you say? Crazy! ;-)
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/ycqx7cy5
    >
    >
    > --
    > Good luck.


    Well yes, i'm quite sure that i -am- bonkers. Thanks for the link; it
    looks interesting. Initially i thought it still couldn't help me as i
    misunderstood, thinking it only produced a -static- listing of what my
    system currently is. I became rather interested though once i read:
    > Service migration
    > Migrate your services from one kind of system to another. Migrate
    > physical systems to the cloud. *-Migrate from one operating system
    > version to another-*. Do this in a repeatable, documented way, which
    > can be adapted to your needs.


    ....which is the entire point of -Aptik-, & what i seek here now in
    openSUSE... a way to automate or at least semi-automate the process of
    me being able to mimic my setup on a different pc, without having to
    -manually- install every package myself, the second time. I shall need
    to study -Machinery- more, to decide if it really might satisfy my
    objective. Thanks once again.


    Hi
    There is also autoyast, kiwi (with OBS) and SUSE Studio
    (https://susestudio.com)

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.73-18.17-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    There is also autoyast, kiwi (with OBS) and SUSE Studio
    (https://susestudio.com)
    Oh good, thanks, i'll look those up too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    None of the alternatives suggested so far seem to provide a similar functionality to Aptik, although i readily concede i might be wrong & have simply not yet correctly understood.

    Let me ask my question in a slightly different way. My Lappy, after many weeks of hard graft, ups & downs, & much learning, now has a really nicely setup Tumbleweed; eg, Plasma personalisations [incl. colours, fonts, VDs, Activities, Desktop Effects, wallpapers, widgets etc], non-standard pgms installed, repos... As of today i am now a big step closer to reaching a decision about potentially also migrating my Tower to TW. If i was to do that change, what is the efficient way of mimicking all my Lappy's configuration in Tower [manually implementing every setting to be the same, one by one, is not efficient, even though obviously i'd get there in the end].

    In *buntu-land, Aptik is that efficient means. How would any of you do this in TW?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,767
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    Some warning: I've seen what aptik can do: a perfectly running Ubuntu server borked by an aptik action from a laptop.

    Once you have some starting point Saltstack is a fine tool for this. The thread below is in dutch, but has a lot of salt examples.
    Where I would normally do
    Code:
    zypper in PACKAGE
    I now do
    Code:
    salt '*' pkg.install PACKAGE
    , where the '*' means 'on all minions ( all machines connected to the salt-master ). It would take a bit of learning ( but hey, you're doing so anyway ), but it's pretty soon worth the effort.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,648
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: openSUSE TW equivalent of aptik?

    On Wed 12 Jul 2017 10:36:01 AM CDT, GooeyGirl wrote:

    None of the alternatives suggested so far seem to provide a similar
    functionality to -Aptik-, although i readily concede i might be wrong &
    have simply not yet correctly understood.

    Let me ask my question in a slightly different way. My Lappy, after many
    weeks of hard graft, ups & downs, & much learning, now has a really
    nicely setup Tumbleweed; eg, Plasma personalisations [incl. colours,
    fonts, VDs, Activities, Desktop Effects, wallpapers, widgets etc],
    non-standard pgms installed, repos... As of today i am now a big step
    closer to reaching a decision about potentially also migrating my Tower
    to TW. If i was to do that change, what is the *-efficient-* way of
    mimicking all my Lappy's configuration in Tower [-manually- implementing
    every setting to be the same, one by one, is not efficient, even though
    obviously i'd get there in the end].

    In *buntu-land, -Aptik- is that efficient means. How would any of you do
    this in TW?


    Hi
    There is efficient and there is time consuming.... backup and restoring
    an OS to an external device is time consuming (inefficient)... haven't
    done it since it takes around 20 minutes to re-install the OS, you can
    add your repo's at install time if required.

    As for your desktop setup, have no idea what files are needed for
    KDE, but what I have is a /data partition with my main configurations
    and have a script that creates/set's things up via softlinks. Perhaps
    look at rsync to copy over your $HOME or fwbackups.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.74-18.20-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •