How To Set Thumbnails in KDE

Hi::slight_smile:

I’m running Gecko Linux 42.2 (based on Open Suse) and I’m having difficulty finding how to set/get the thumbnails for my folders.

What do I need to install or what do I need to do in the KDE Settings to have the thumbnails show on the folders in the home directory?

Thanks in advance.

Hope I’m on the right page here…

Dolphin > Settings > Configure Dolphin > General > Previews…

I have the ‘folder’ preview option enabled there. Is that what you’re referring to?

Yeah, I tried that and selected everything in the list but there still aren’t any thumbnails showing.

I think this might work:

The cmd’s are below the video.

So it’s specifically video thumbnail support that is missing?

Yeah, thumbnails are missing for videos, books , pdf’s and pictures.

-::-I tried those cmds in the video with sudo zypper and sudo make install failed.-::-

Try installing ffmpegthumbs…

https://software.opensuse.org/package/ffmpegthumbs

That should help with video previews at least.

I have a ffmpegthumbnails folder in my /home directory.

Should I remove that before installing the ffmpeg based thumbnail creator for videos?

Good news!

I now have thumbnails for all of my videos. Thanks for the link to the ffmpegthumbs. :slight_smile:

What pkg or pkg’s would I install to get the thumbnails for the rest of the books and etc.?

Check if ‘kdegraphics-thumbnailers’ is installed. If not…

zypper in kdegraphics-thumbnailers

Installing kdegraphics-thumbnailers worked for a plain text document that I have in the Home directory. Thanks!

Is there a thumbnailer pkg for the .odt Libre Office documents and a thumnailer pkg for pdf’s?

You should find a Dolphin preview option for ‘PostScript, PDF, and DVI files’.

An odf thumbnailer is in the package “kde-odf-thumbnail”.

Calligra includes one as well (in the package “calligra-extra-dolphin”), but you probably don’t want to install a second office suite…

I found the option checked it and it worked.

Thanks!

I’ll install that pkg in a little bit and let you know how things go.

I now have thumbnails for .odt and other Libre Office documents.

Thanks deano_ferrari & wolfi323 for you time and your help.:wink:

Happy to have been of help! :slight_smile: