Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61

Thread: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,385

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Searching the two bugs and this thread I don't see any mention of your having tried the default modesetting driver built into the Xorg server. It should be used automatically if you uninstall the radeon driver, but can be specified through xorg.conf* if desired. If the modesetting driver solves your problem it might be that the pci id of the r370 ought to be requested to be added to or removed from /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids via bug 1046962.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Are you using radeon or amdgpu? I would switch if using radeon and see if that makes a difference.

    Can you show the output from;
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    The switch is pretty easy, a blacklist, add some boot options and rebuild initrd...
    I'm still on radeonsi. I tried switching, it won't work: Whenever I try to blacklist radeonsi and use amdgpu instead, the system boots to a black screen or remains stuck in the console.

    If anyone has a guaranteed way to do it, by all means let me know! amdgpu was supposed to support GCN 1.0 cards by default over an year ago... for some reason it still doesn't default me to it up to this very day.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Searching the two bugs and this thread I don't see any mention of your having tried the default modesetting driver built into the Xorg server. It should be used automatically if you uninstall the radeon driver, but can be specified through xorg.conf* if desired. If the modesetting driver solves your problem it might be that the pci id of the r370 ought to be requested to be added to or removed from /etc/X11/xorg_pci_ids/modesetting.ids via bug 1046962.
    Something tells me the modesetting driver wouldn't be able to handle any games, so I couldn't even test with it. Uninstalling radeon sounds like a very risky option, likely something that would leave me with an unbootable system.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    2,385

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Uninstalling radeon sounds like a very risky option, likely something that would leave me with an unbootable system.
    Removing an Xorg driver is incapable of preventing boot, and certainly would not be default if there was any such risk. The only "risk" might come from failure to remove all traces of a proprietary driver causing the Xorg server to fail. The Xorg modesetting driver, not to be confused with KMS, is in use here on well over half my installations: all Intels and GeForces less than about 10 years old, and both my ATI Evergreens. The minority here not using it are all at least 10 years old.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I'm still on radeonsi. I tried switching, it won't work: Whenever I try to blacklist radeonsi and use amdgpu instead, the system boots to a black screen or remains stuck in the console.

    If anyone has a guaranteed way to do it, by all means let me know! amdgpu was supposed to support GCN 1.0 cards by default over an year ago... for some reason it still doesn't default me to it up to this very day.
    Hi
    If you don't set the boot options, then yes, you get the black screen

    Add to the kernel command line options via YaST Bootloader;
    Code:
    amdgpu.si_support=1
    This is also valid for the radeon driver (which may help...?), suggest try this first;
    Code:
    radeon.si_support=1
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    If you don't set the boot options, then yes, you get the black screen

    Add to the kernel command line options via YaST Bootloader;
    Code:
    amdgpu.si_support=1
    This is also valid for the radeon driver (which may help...?), suggest try this first;
    Code:
    radeon.si_support=1
    Hi
    Scratch the above, I see it's enabled by default, so only needed for amdgpu.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Oh my gosh YES! I just booted the system successfully with the following Kernel parameters:

    Code:
    radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1
    The console command confirms that it's working:

    Code:
    mircea@linux-qz0r:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM] [1002:6811] (rev 81)
            Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:2015]
            Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
            Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
    Finally, for the first time ever, I get to see amdgpu in action. I've been waiting for almost an year, but the previous console commands all failed... thank you for that suggestion! If the configuration proves stable, I'm adding those parameters to grub2 permanently

    Tomorrow I'll probably check if the freezes also go away, at least at a first glance. If it doesn't then this is a very weird problem which definitely needs deep investigation. Hopefully it's specific to the radeon driver and doesn't reach amdgpu too.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    29,680
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    Oh my gosh YES! I just booted the system successfully with the following Kernel parameters:

    Code:
    radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1
    The console command confirms that it's working:

    Code:
    mircea@linux-qz0r:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -A3 VGA
    03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM] [1002:6811] (rev 81)
            Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device [1458:2015]
            Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
            Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
    Finally, for the first time ever, I get to see amdgpu in action. I've been waiting for almost an year, but the previous console commands all failed... thank you for that suggestion! If the configuration proves stable, I'm adding those parameters to grub2 permanently

    Tomorrow I'll probably check if the freezes also go away, at least at a first glance. If it doesn't then this is a very weird problem which definitely needs deep investigation. Hopefully it's specific to the radeon driver and doesn't reach amdgpu too.
    Hi
    Well there are a bazillion kernel module parameter options.... have no idea what all of them do....

    I have a systemd service to set the power options (https://software.opensuse.org/packag..._power_profile), I've also played with the clock speed via command line;
    Code:
    cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info
    uvd    disabled
    vce    disabled
    power level 0    sclk: 30000 vddc: 3850
    grover:~ # echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    grover:~ # cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info
    uvd    disabled
    vce    disabled
    power level 4    sclk: 80000 vddc: 4250
    echo auto > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info
    uvd    disabled
    vce    disabled
    power level 0    sclk: 30000 vddc: 3850
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    I can confirm that the exact same system freeze happens with both the radeon and amdgpu driver: Using either module makes absolutely no difference.

    This is the last piece of confirmation I needed to conclude that what's happening must be a deliberate malware: There is simply no way a GPU crash bug could behave 100% the same way on two entirely different video drivers. Further more, this freeze is completely identical to the one I initially reported here... which was obviously fixed since there's been so many updates to every system component it would have been solved by sheer chance at this point! Functionality like this should only be seen if someone is actively re-implementing the problem on top of updated system components, with the active intent of keeping its effects identical each time. It's possible that my machine may be used to test malware usable to shut down Linux systems, in which case I need to find out where it's hidden and how it's bricking computers before it spreads.

    This attack must exploit vulnerabilities that keep coming and going in X11, Mesa, or some other system component... those are hopefully holes which can be discovered and plugged to render the attacks impractical altogether. Again I only know that it's triggered while certain 3D engines are running (possibly aimed primarily at gamers?) and has a random chance of happening roughly once every 30 minutes (likely to make testing harder and better hide the exploit).
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Romania, Bucharest
    Posts
    887

    Default Re: 3D engines causing frequent GPU lockups

    The old issue was definitely resolved, so I've moved the new one to a new set of bug reports. Let's hope this also gets solved soon and does not come back this time.

    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1084767
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105425
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •