Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Create MyPhoneExplorer WinePrefix in TW.

Default Re: Create MyPhoneExplorer WinePrefix in TW.

Thank you for taking the time to look, & reply.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Are you trying to set up MyPhoneExplorer manually?
    Well yes, certainly, as i alluded to in the codebox in my initial post. After an early premature misunderstanding, this is what i then did:
    Code:
    1.   sudo zypper install --no-recommends wine   

2.   WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-myphoneexplorer WINEARCH='win32' winecfg

3.   WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-myphoneexplorer WINEARCH='win32' winetricks vb6run

4.   <<Two consecutive windows will appear, each offering to download & install a missing component [Mono & Gecko] - let them do this. Afterwards, close each window if still present.>>

5.   WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-myphoneexplorer WINEARCH='win32' wine MyPhoneExplorer_Setup_v1.8.8.exe
             [before running that command, cd to directory holding the EXE]

6.   <<MPE should now be installed & runnable.>>         
    ===========================================================================================
    After doing that [as experiments in two Tower oS TW VMs, & thence in Lappy's "real" TW], MPE launches & runs correctly, with respect to its GUI, & also properly accessing my historic previously-synched phone data on my SSD. The entire problem however is that, unlike in Mint & Maui, so far all my TW attempts to be able to sync with my Android phone fail -- MPE in TW cannot see the USB connection, nor the Bluetooth connection, nor the WiFi connection [even though my phone & Lappy TW themselves do see all those connections].

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    A Google search for"MyPhoneExplorer Linux" returns the following
    http://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7617

Although the referenced install script is ancient (2007), I took a brief look at it...
    - There is no updated script to download, but the URL in the script exists so that's an encouraging sign someone is maintaining (it's not a dead link)
    - It looks like the script looks for the latest downloadable version of MyPhoneExplorer, downloads and installs.
    - It looks like a generic script that might work on any version of Linux.
    - I'm not an expert on wine, but I didn't notice anything in the script that requires any specific version of wine.
    - Various install locations look reasonable. Didn't notice unsupported locations.

So,
    Although it's a bit of a risk to run something like this without knowing whether it should work (maybe you'd want to ask in the MyPhoneExplorer support forums first?), it might make installing on Linux a snap. If it almost works, then maybe the script can be modified slightly to work.

TSU
    Again, thanks. I already was aware of that page, & the script, but until yesterday i'd always avoided it... rightly or wrongly i was worried about its security, as well as whether or not it was still applicable. Having read your comments i did try it yesterday ... it did run & is rather impressive... but in the end it left me no better off. Yes it did produce a runnable MPE GUI [but then so did my already-used WinePrefix, as above], but no it still did not allow any of those three connection options to work, hence still no sync [to repeat, on Maui now, & Mint before that, with my MPE WinePrefix i CAN sync wonderfully well].

My WinePrefix is deliberately a 32bit one, given my sense from my earlier research was that MPE under Linux needs a 32bit environment. I observed that conversely the script mentioned while running that it created a 64bit system & that in case of problems the user should do it again with 32bit... but i don't feel confident i would correctly edit the script to suit.

In TW, the essential problem is not getting MPE itself to run [that's fine, done, happy], but it's the failure to connect. I could easily be wrong, but the fact that USB + BT + WiFi all fail [despite individually working fine on my TW Lappy in a non-MPE sense], makes me suspect it's a common-cause fault [eg, a missing dependency under TW?], not some weird coincidental failure of all three modes independent of each other & only wrt MPE. Eg, until i later tried the BT & WiFi options, the constant failure of the USB connection to be recognised by MPE made me wonder if maybe the TW package android-tools is faulty... but clearly even if that was true [& i do not now believe it is], it still could not explain the equivalent failures also of the other two modes. However, i simply do not know enough to be able to troubleshoot this any further. It's quite burning me up, as i otherwise am really impatient to put TW onto my Tower...

After many more hours, still no solution yet, but possibly an important diagnostic development.

Today i became briefly excited when i read this at http://www.fjsoft.at/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11454 ...
    You should NOT use the USB 3.0 Port of your PC.
    ...because i then checked the port on Lappy that i have been trying, & found that it is indeed a USB3 one. Disappointingly, even after moving the cable to a USB2 port, nothing improved - all symptoms remained unaltered.

The Wine-installed pc-based MPE pgm operates in tandem with a MPE Client app on the Android phone. During today's ongoing testing i saw something interesting. When the phone is usb-cable-connected to the TW Lappy USB2 port, & i then issue...
    Code:
    adb wait-for-devices
    ...in Konsole prior to launching MPE in Lappy [this sequence is a requirement in Linux], i see the response in Konsole [as previously reported]:
    Code:
            * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
            * daemon started successfully *
    ...& matching that the phone's MPE Client responds in its screen with:
    Code:
            USB cable plugged in
    If i then delay indefinitely launching MPE on Lappy, that Client status msg also continues unchanged indefinitely [although pragmatically not, as it has a 15' timeout] [not that this helps, of course, given the whole point is to be able to launch MPE]... BUT... when i then do launch MPE in TW Lappy, whilst still watching the phone's MPE Client screen, that status msg changes to
    Code:
            USB cable not plugged in
    ...either whilst MPE is still launching, or other times as soon as i then initiate the MPE File - Connect command in the TW Lappy's MPE GUI. This status change is critical, as it then guarantees that the attempt to Connect via said menu command will fail.

For comparison, i then unplugged the USB cable from my TW Lappy & plugged it into my Maui Tower's USB2 port, & repeated the above sequence. Critically [positively / beneficially] different on Maui, once the Konsole command
    Code:
            adb wait-for-devices
    is issued, & the response
    Code:
            * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
            * daemon started successfully *
    is received in Konsole, & the phone's MPE Client status changes to
    Code:
            USB cable plugged in
    the subsequent launch of the MPE pgm GUI in Maui Tower does NOT then cause the Client's status to change, & NOR does the next step of initiating the MPE GUI's File - Connect command in the Maui Tower. That is, on Tower when this sequence is followed, no disconnection occurs & i am always able to carry right on into the sync, which in turn is also successful. The key difference observed today is that TW Lappy refuses to maintain its adb connection status, without which any actual sync is ipso facto impossible.

So, the logical question is WHY is adb unreliable on TW Lappy when it is 100% reliable on Maui Tower?

At this point i discovered that the MPE pgm can optionally collect log files during its connection attempts. When i compared this log for TW Lappy against Maui Tower, i saw a key difference [most of the logs seem the same, but these excerpts show the difference]:

TW Lappy log:
    Code:
    17:10:46.87       Hauptfenster fertig geladen
    17:10:46.98       Init Android Connection for future connect via USB
    17:10:46.98       RunADBCommand: start-server
    17:10:49.27       ADB CommandResponse: adb server version (32) doesn't match this client (36); killing...
    17:10:49.27       Run DeviceTracker
    17:10:51.28       Connect with ADB failed (DeviceTracker)
    Maui Tower log:
    Code:
    17:25:56.50       Hauptfenster fertig geladen
    17:25:56.61       Init Android Connection for future connect via USB
    17:25:56.61       RunADBCommand: start-server
    17:25:56.73       ADB CommandResponse: 
    17:25:56.73       Run DeviceTracker
    17:25:56.74       Init Tracker
    17:25:56.75       Device Tracker Message: OKAY0012ZX1D234S84    device

My unprofessional opinion / suspicion now is that THIS is THE error source... apparently the openSUSE version of android-tools &/or android-tools-udev is/are wrong...???

In Tower's Maui the package versions are:
    Code:
    android-tools-adb       = 5.1.1r36+git20160322-0ubuntu3
    android-tools-fastboot  = 5.1.1r36+git20160322-0ubuntu3
    In Lappy's Tumbleweed by contrast:
    Code:
    linux-763v:~> zypper info android-tools
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Information for package android-tools:
    --------------------------------------
    Repository     : My_openSUSE_Repo                      
    Name           : android-tools                         
    Version        : 5.1.1_r8-3.6                          
    Arch           : x86_64                                
    Vendor         : openSUSE                              
    Installed Size : 345.3 KiB                             
    Installed      : Yes                                   
    Status         : up-to-date                            
    Source package : android-tools-5.1.1_r8-3.6.src        
    Summary        : Android platform tools (adb, fastboot)
    Description    :                                       
        Android Debug Bridge (adb) is a command-line tool used to communicate with and control
        Android device over a USB link from a computer. Fastboot is a command line tool used
        to directly flash the filesystem in Android devices from a host via USB.
    I note that the Maui version# includes the number "36" which would seem to match the log's "client (36)". Conversely the TW version does not contain the number "32" as intimated by its log's "adb server version (32)"... so maybe i am not properly interpreting all this stuff...

Does anyone know if i have available options to find/install a different version of this package?

Sadly i've made no more progress on this myself, & obviously nobody in this forum seems to know a solution [albeit i readily acknowledge that (a) everyone here is an unpaid part-time volunteer, & (b) the timeline of this thread has unfortunately spanned the new Leap release]. I also posted about this problem in the MyPhoneExplorer website forum, but there's also been no response there [which realistically is not that surprising, given that my testing & research, as documented specifically in my preceding post, points to it being an openSUSE package problem]:
    Code:
    17:10:46.87       Hauptfenster fertig geladen17:10:46.98       Init Android Connection for future connect via USB
    17:10:46.98       RunADBCommand: start-server
    17:10:49.27       ADB CommandResponse: adb server version (32) doesn't match this client (36); killing...
    17:10:49.27       Run DeviceTracker
    17:10:51.28       Connect with ADB failed (DeviceTracker)
    It's galling that this phone synchronisation with MPE worked perfectly for me in Maui Linux, but so far not in oS TW.

Is there some way that i can directly contact the Dev/s of the android-tools package to see if they can think of a solution?

Major breakthrough today in parallel thread https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...57#post2833957 for my Tower, in which now the MPE WinePrefix does Sync. That success sadly has not flowed over to this thread... on Lappy Sync still fails. Investigation ongoing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123