Thread: Removing unneeded fonts

Default Removing unneeded fonts

I'm trying to clean my font listing by removing all those that I don't need/want (especially support for non latin scripts, and math symbols); whenever I want to select a font, I.E. inside a graphics software like Gimp or Gravid Designer, the font list is so heavily cluttered that makes it hard to actually find what I want.

Overall, I found that by removing the following packages, the biggest share of those unwanted fonts are gone:
    Code:
    adobe-sourcecodepro-fonts adobe-sourcesanspro-fonts adobe-sourceserifpro-fonts efont-unicode-bitmap-fonts stix-fonts texlive-lm-fonts xorg-x11-fonts xorg-x11-fonts-core
    But when I try to update the system, these packages are automatically selected for reinstall, that makes me wonder if there are unresolved dependencies or if these fonts are actually used for something.

What should I do?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Removing unneeded fonts

Quote Originally Posted by sekhemty View Post
    I'm trying to clean my font listing by removing all those that I don't need/want (especially support for non latin scripts, and math symbols); whenever I want to select a font, I.E. inside a graphics software like Gimp or Gravid Designer, the font list is so heavily cluttered that makes it hard to actually find what I want.

Overall, I found that by removing the following packages, the biggest share of those unwanted fonts are gone:
    Code:
    adobe-sourcecodepro-fonts adobe-sourcesanspro-fonts adobe-sourceserifpro-fonts efont-unicode-bitmap-fonts stix-fonts texlive-lm-fonts xorg-x11-fonts xorg-x11-fonts-core
    But when I try to update the system, these packages are automatically selected for reinstall, that makes me wonder if there are unresolved dependencies or if these fonts are actually used for something.

What should I do?
    they're recommended packages, or belonging to a pattern that is still installed. If everything works , you can lock the packages:
    Code:
    zypper al "PACKAGE_NAME"
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Yes, I was thinking about locking them, but I was not sure if they were needed by something else.

Everything seems to be working as usual, so I'll do that.

Is there some reason why openSUSE by default installs all of them instead of leaving to the user to get them only if needed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sekhemty View Post
    Yes, I was thinking about locking them, but I was not sure if they were needed by something else.

Everything seems to be working as usual, so I'll do that.

Is there some reason why openSUSE by default installs all of them instead of leaving to the user to get them only if needed?
    Hi
    More than likely added as 'Recommends' by packages when installing.... not sure if can be overridden at install (possibly)....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!