Networkmanager and openvpn crash

I am running a basic Tumbleweed system with one ethernet connection through an openvpn link both managed by networkmanager. The openvpn command issued by networkmanager (from ps) is:

/usr/sbin/openvpn --remote us-ca.mullvad.net 1197 udp --comp-lzo yes --nobind --dev tun --cipher AES-256-CBC --auth-nocache --remote-cert-tls server --reneg-sec 0 --verb 1 --syslog nm-openvpn --script-security 2 --up /usr/lib/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper --debug 0 3261 --bus-name org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.openvpn.Connection_4 --tun – --up-restart --persist-key --persist-tun --management /var/run/NetworkManager/nm-openvpn-ff470881-4027-4585-97df-197b5e83b16d unix --management-client-user root --management-client-group root --management-query-passwords --auth-retry interact --route-noexec --ifconfig-noexec --client --ca /etc/openvpn/ca.crt --cert /etc/openvpn/client.crt --key /etc/openvpn/client.key --user nm-openvpn --group nm-openvpn

Everything works correctly for an hour or so until the VPN link is renegotiated and then openvpn crashes with the error:
ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1)*

I’ve hacked the source of nm-openvpn-service so that it doesn’t put out the --user and --group options and everything runs fine but openvpn is then running as root which is probably not a good idea, plus I’m then running with non baseline code which I prefer not to do.

Is this a bug in networkmanager?, openvpn? or is there some setup that I have done incorrectly that causes this?

The following article describes creating a TUN device ahead of time (which requires root) then is available to unprivileged Users like “nm-connect” (which is what NM uses) to configure and use.

http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/nonroot.html

You should also submit a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org
Ordinarily, you shouldn’t have to do this own your own… I’m sure the TUN device should have been installed when you installed your VPN, unless you installed in some unusual way.

HTH,
TSU