Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Update manager accidentally broke

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    137

    Default Update manager accidentally broke

    Hello. Few weeks ago I can't update with a default update manager
    The task was forcibly canceled The task was canceled successfully and no packages were changed.
    The backend did not exit cleanly.
    But I can do it via YaST. So, it's a minor problem but I'd like to know how to configure it or maybe it's better to remove.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by psijic View Post
    Hello. Few weeks ago I can't update with a default update manager
    Likely because you switched the security level to "secure" according to https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...64#post2826364 .

    This in turn means that users cannot install updates any more, only root.
    (YaST is running as root, you have to enter the root password to start it)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Likely because you switched the security level to "secure" according to https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...64#post2826364 .

    This in turn means that users cannot install updates any more, only root.
    (YaST is running as root, you have to enter the root password to start it)
    Nope. I returned but there is the same message. It's started before my security changing.
    Code:
    grep SECURITY /etc/sysconfig/security
    PERMISSION_SECURITY="easy local"
    # PERMISSION_SECURITY. If PERMISSION_SECURITY contains 'secure' or
    

  4. #4

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by psijic View Post
    Nope. I returned but there is the same message. It's started before my security changing.
    Ok, the message rather indicates that PackageKit is crashing for some reason.

    Does running "pkcon update" in a shell work? If not, what error message do you get?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    (YaST is running as root, you have to enter the root password to start it)
    It was since the OS installed.

    Hm, I try to set "workstation" secure predefined settings but it returns to "user settings" after closing. Maybe it's an actual application behaviour but it's not good UX.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Ok, the message rather indicates that PackageKit is crashing for some reason.

    Does running "pkcon update" in a shell work? If not, what error message do you get?
    The icon is worked. I can click "check for updates" button. After that I get an error message that I quoted before.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by psijic View Post
    It was since the OS installed.
    Yes, of course.
    YaST Software Management can only be run as root.
    So it has the privileges to install software, regardless of your security settings.

    That's the point I was trying to make.


    The icon is worked. I can click "check for updates" button. After that I get an error message that I quoted before.
    No.
    Run "pkcon update" in a terminal window (Konsole e.g.) and see whether that works, or whether you get an error message.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No.
    Run "pkcon update" in a terminal window (Konsole e.g.) and see whether that works, or whether you get an error message.
    Freezes on this
    Code:
    Getting updates [       ] 0%

  8. #8

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Quote Originally Posted by psijic View Post
    Freezes on this
    Code:
    Getting updates [       ] 0%
    Strange.
    And you say YaST works?

    Well, try to delete PackageKit's cache then:
    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/PackageKit/system.package-list
    and try again.

    What also may help is to clean zypper's cache and/or rebuild the RPM database.
    Code:
    sudo zypper clean -a
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb
    Though I would suspect problems with YaST too if the issue is there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/PackageKit/system.package-list
    no such file or dir.

    Code:
    sudo zypper clean -a
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb
    1) all repos are clean
    2) didn't helps

  10. #10

    Default Re: Update manager accidentally broke

    Sorry, no idea then I'm afraid.

    Are you behind a proxy maybe?

    Did packagekitd crash?
    "sudo coredumpctl" should show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •