Bug(?) in Eclipse + SUSE?

I have installed Eclipse through the official software store.

The issue I have is that, in Eclipse, switching tabs in the workspace (representing open files) does not work neither by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F6] nor if I try to execute that same event using the menus Window->Navigation->Next Editor]. Eclipse just briefly blinks but nothing happens. I have tried configure a different keyboard shortcut in Eclipse but it makes no difference.
The only way I can switch to another tab is to click on the tab with the mouse. But I can’t quickly toggle between tabs using the keyboard, which part of my normal workflow.

I figured it might be a Gnome issue so I installed Fedora (Gnome) in a VM, and it works as expected. I never encountered this bug(?) when I ran Ubuntu earlier.

This is literally the only issue I have had so far in the 5 months I’ve been using Suse, everything else has been rock solid. But this bug really bothers me, so much that I avoid using Eclipse for now.

Surely it must be solvable?

If you search this forum for all threads about Eclipse,
You’ll find that the standard recommendation since time immemorial (For me, going all the way back to OpenSuSE 10.3) is not to install the version from openSUSE, but to download and install your choice from the Eclipse website.

You’ll find that there are numerous versions of Eclipse you can download, each pre-packages for various languages and projects. You can always customize any installed version of Eclipse, but it can take a long time and massive downloading. By choosing a version that supports your needs, you can avoid a lot of unnecessary “everything.”

When you install Eclipse from the Eclipse website, generally…

• When you unpack, Eclipse will be an almost completely self-contained directory tree which can be located anywhere. Standard choices with their own consequences happen if you choose to install in your /home or in a root subdirectory (I’ve generally installed in /opt )
  • You will likely need to manually configure at least a few settings. Last I installed for instance, certain default directories were setup (like for projects) but you had to configure Java settings both in Eclipse and exporting environmental variables (I recommend in /etc/profile.local).

HTH,
TSU

Hi Tsu,

Thanks for the response.

I failed to mention in my previous post that I have also tried a version of Eclipse that I downloaded and extracted, as per your post.
I behaves the same way, which is why I’m thinking it might be a more general issue with Eclipse on Suse/Gnome.

What I haven’t tried is placing the Eclipse folder in the root (e.g. /opt) as you suggest, so I will try that.

In the meantime, it would be interesting to hear from people with Eclipse installed: are you able to switch/toggle the tabs by doing Ctrl+F6??

On Wed 14 Jun 2017 09:26:02 AM CDT, accronSuse wrote:

Hi Tsu,

Thanks for the response.

I failed to mention in my previous post that I have also tried a version
of Eclipse that I downloaded and extracted, as per your post.
I behaves the same way, which is why I’m thinking it might be a more
general issue with Eclipse on Suse/Gnome.

What I haven’t tried is placing the Eclipse folder in the root (e.g.
/opt) as you suggest, so I will try that.

In the meantime, it would be interesting to hear from people with
Eclipse installed: are you able to switch/toggle the tabs by doing
Ctrl+F6??

Hi
Just installed here (as user) on my data directory. Opened a test
project/files and press ctrl+F6 and get a popup to select the file to
switch too.

Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers

Version: Neon.3 Release (4.6.3)
Build id: 20170314-1500

If you install system wide (eg /opt) then try testing as a new test
user to see it duplicates.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

So I created a new test user and downloaded Eclipse (as opposed to using the Software store) and ran it directly from the Home folder, and sure enough it works as expected. Thanks for the tip malcolmlewis!

It’s clearly some setting in my user profile that interferes with/hijacks the event, since it doesn’t work even if I remap the keys or use the window menus, on two separate Eclipse instances, in different workspaces. I’ll need to investigate what could cause this. I have also discovered that if I press and hold Ctrl+F6 the popup does appear, but selecting the file either with the mouse or keyboard does nothing.
If anyone has an idea where I could start please share.

I’ll post again if I find something.

Thanks for the help so far!

On Wed 14 Jun 2017 03:36:01 PM CDT, accronSuse wrote:

malcolmlewis;2826441 Wrote:
> If you install system wide (eg /opt) then try testing as a new test
> user to see it duplicates.

So I created a new test user and downloaded Eclipse (as opposed to using
the Software store) and ran it directly from the Home folder, and sure
enough it works as expected. Thanks for the tip malcolmlewis!

It’s clearly some setting in my user profile that interferes
with/hijacks the event, since it doesn’t work even if I remap the keys
or use the window menus, on two separate Eclipse instances, in different
workspaces. I’ll need to investigate what could cause this. I have also
discovered that if I press and hold Ctrl+F6 the popup does appear, but
selecting the file either with the mouse or keyboard does nothing.
If anyone has an idea where I could start please share.

I’ll post again if I find something.

Thanks for the help so far!

Hi
You don’t have any keyboard type gnome-shell extensions installed?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

The only active extensions are Alternatetab, Bottompanel and Dash to dock.

I also started Eclipse from the terminal, hoping that I might see some error message when doing Ctrl+F6, but no luck.
I’ll keep digging in the settings.

Hi
Disable the Alternative tab (Default is off) one and see if that helps. Also tested on another test machine and eclipse works fine there as well. So it must be an extension…?

I disabled all extensions but still no luck.

I also tried Ctrl+F6 in the test user session, with no programs open, just to see if those keys are bound to something by default, but nothing.

I could also mention that I have installed Netbeans and mapped Ctrl+F6 to the same function (toggling tabs), and it works fine, so it’s definitely an issue specific to Eclipse.

Thanks again!