Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion thread for 42.3 Release Candidate

Default Re: Discussion thread for 42.3 Release Candidate

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    It did work initial (fresh install back when) then at some point stopped working.
    You mean it did work in 42.2 originally?
    That's strange, as there has not been any change in this regard. The code in Plasma/ksmserver that plays the login sound is exactly the same, and there was no update to phonon or the gstreamer backend either.

Anyway, I'll try to find out what's wrong.

Btw, putting the sound file to ~/.local/share/sounds/ (and not specifying the full path but only the file name) should work as well. The code does look in all XDG_DATA_DIRS.

Decided to have a play with this today and downloaded what I believe to be the correct install image openSUSE-Leap-42.3-DVD-x86_64-Build0289-Media.iso. It installed OK and booted ok twice in virtualbox but now when I try to boot it I get a 'start job running for wicked managed network interfaces' and it just sits there doing nothing else. I have not altered anything to do with the network since install, its set as a bridged adapter in the settings and worked before. If I disable the network it boots OK. So does anyone have any ideas please?

Stuart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    It installed OK and booted ok twice in virtualbox but now when I try to boot it I get a 'start job running for wicked managed network interfaces' and it just sits there doing nothing else.
    I would suggest that you try switching to NetworkManager. That might at least get it working. And then maybe a bug report.

By the way, I have now switched to using 42.3 beta full time. I figure that's the best way to test this. And it is complete enough, now that packman is up, that I'm not hampered by that switch.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Decided to start helping again by testing.

I had Leap 42.2 installed on a dual boot with Windows 10. Upon boot grub would list 3 choices: Leap 42.2 normal, Leap 42.2 special and Windows 10. After the UpGrade install of Leap 42.3 I do not get the Windows choice.

Just to let you know that the UpGrade is not clean.

-Chuck
    Box: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6Ghz | AMD Radeon R7 240 | 32GB RAM | openSuSE Leap 15/ KDE Plasma 5.12.6

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I would suggest that you try switching to NetworkManager. That might at least get it working. And then maybe a bug report.

By the way, I have now switched to using 42.3 beta full time. I figure that's the best way to test this. And it is complete enough, now that packman is up, that I'm not hampered by that switch.
    While waiting for suggestions I decided to try something. Being Virtualbox I decided to change the adapter type specified from an Intel Pro MT Desktop to a PC-Net Fast III and boot, this time it came up OK. As it was late I have not either switched to Network Manager (my normal network management used) or switched back to the Intel and tried a boot. I will try again and see what happens.

Stuart

I know this is a bit out of topic as things have been decided already some time ago ...

I wonder why Leap version updates are kept so extremely conservative. This remark especially relates to the decision to have Kernel 4.4 (instead of Kernel 4.9) in Leap 42.3. Even Debian Stretch is using 4.9.

People keep saying that I should try Tumbleweed, which I will maybe do in the end (I will decide about Tumbleweed vs Kubuntu 17.04 in the next weeks).

Using Leap means basically to accept that continuous improvements within, for example, a KDE Plasma release (5.8 LTS) are not followed - you stay one year with the KDE version Leap has been originally equipped with (e.g. 5.8.3 instead of 5.8.7). Switching to Tumbleweed on the other hand means to run an on-the-edge release and I do not know how stable this is.

Of course one could notably ask in which way a user may find added value in using a newer release, but then this implies that improvements are somewhat meaningless, which they certainly are not. Especially on some hardware, Kernel 4.9 has significant improvements compared to Kernel 4.4. And both are long term maintenance releases.

I am using SuSE Linux since 1998, and I remember the discussions about Linux as a Desktop for everyone. One example illustrating why we cannot convince more people to switch to Linux: In Leap 42.2, suddenly and without warning Smb4k failed to work due to security implications. While it is completely understandable to stay on the safe side for the distribution maintainers, it took me a long while until I understood what went wrong (nothing, I just updated).

I excuse for this post ... I had some feeling to say this because I feel strongly connected to opensuse; I am not a programmer, so I cannot contribute to the success of this great distribution, and I of course very much acknowledge the great work of so many experts and users.

Cheers,

Eriol

I am having further problems trying to test Leap 42.3 under Virtualbox on Tumbleweed. I am unable to mount the shared folder I need seemingly because the guest additions provided are not correct for my version of Virtualbox, and equally when removing the supplied version I am unable to install the correct version of Guest Additions for what seems like a whole bunch of reasons. I do like to test beta and release candidate versions under Virtualbox prior to installing on my laptops but I always do this on my Desktop which runs Tumbleweed and not the current version of Leap.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by EriolBrumel View Post
    I wonder why Leap version updates are kept so extremely conservative. This remark especially relates to the decision to have Kernel 4.4 (instead of Kernel 4.9) in Leap 42.3. Even Debian Stretch is using 4.9.
    Because it is partly based on SUSE Linux Enterprise, and commercial distributions tend to be more "conservative", especially regarding upgrades/new versions in an existing product.

That doesn't mean that fixes/improvements won't get backported though.

People keep saying that I should try Tumbleweed, which I will maybe do in the end (I will decide about Tumbleweed vs Kubuntu 17.04 in the next weeks).
    Tumbleweed is a rolling distribution though, it will constantly get new versions of everything.
    This may or may not suit you.

Using Leap means basically to accept that continuous improvements within, for example, a KDE Plasma release (5.8 LTS) are not followed - you stay one year with the KDE version Leap has been originally equipped with (e.g. 5.8.3 instead of 5.8.7).
    ???
    Leap 42.2 did get an update to Plasma 5.8.6, 42.3 (to be released in a month) will ship with 5.8.7 (the latest LTS version currently).

And again, we did/do of course backport fixes/features if appropriate.

Also there are many additional repos you can add, if you really want the latest version/release of something.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 29-Jun-2017 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    I I am unable to mount the shared folder I need seemingly because the guest additions provided are not correct for my version of Virtualbox
    There are no strict version requirements for that, i.e. Leap's guest additions should work fine on a Tumbleweed host. (not to mention that 42.3 does have 5.1.18 currently, which is not very far away from Tumbleweed anyway)

The only possible "version problem" is that the kernel modules need to be compiled and installed for your currently running kernel.

Check whether the guest additions are actually running:
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status vboxadd
    sudo systemctl status vboxadd-service
    You should be able to mount shared folders via the "mount" command even without guest additions though, IIRC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EriolBrumel View Post
    I wonder why Leap version updates are kept so extremely conservative.
    That was part of the plan.

I also have Tumbleweed installed. But I prefer the stability of Leap except for occasional testing.
    This remark especially relates to the decision to have Kernel 4.4 (instead of Kernel 4.9) in Leap 42.3. Even Debian Stretch is using 4.9.
    You can use the kernels repo if you want newer kernels.
    Using Leap means basically to accept that continuous improvements within, for example, a KDE Plasma release (5.8 LTS) are not followed - you stay one year with the KDE version Leap has been originally equipped with (e.g. 5.8.3 instead of 5.8.7).
    That doesn't seem right. As I recall, 42.2 came with Plasma 5.8.3, but is now using 5.8.6.
    Of course one could notably ask in which way a user may find added value in using a newer release, but then this implies that improvements are somewhat meaningless, which they certainly are not. Especially on some hardware, Kernel 4.9 has significant improvements compared to Kernel 4.4. And both are long term maintenance releases.
    If you have newer hardware, then go get a newer kernel from the kernels repo. I know that some folk are doing that.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast