Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting amdgpu working on radeonsi card

Default Re: Getting amdgpu working on radeonsi card

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Why a custom rpm (from where?), the kernel has moved on a bit now, maybe there are some improvements for your card?

I've not had any issues with Tumbleweed, but I do use a custom kernel module for 42.2.
    I believe it was this one:

https://software.opensuse.org/package/amdgpu

About 3-4 months ago, I simply installed that package and restarted... then when it didn't boot, I started YaST from the CLI then removed the package and restarted again.

Both that and booting with the parameters blacklisting "radeon" have the exact same result: The runlevel of the normal session (control + alt + f7) remains stuck at a black screen where only the cursor is seen blinking in the upper-left corner of the screen, instead of the login manager actually showing up. Note that this is an inexperienced guess, but I'd say that looks a bit like X11 not starting up or crashing immediately after it does... could this be a possibility?
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I believe it was this one:

https://software.opensuse.org/package/amdgpu

About 3-4 months ago, I simply installed that package and restarted... then when it didn't boot, I started YaST from the CLI then removed the package and restarted again.

Both that and booting with the parameters blacklisting "radeon" have the exact same result: The runlevel of the normal session (control + alt + f7) remains stuck at a black screen where only the cursor is seen blinking in the upper-left corner of the screen, instead of the login manager actually showing up. Note that this is an inexperienced guess, but I'd say that looks a bit like X11 not starting up or crashing immediately after it does... could this be a possibility?
    Hi
    OK, that's my one But for 42.2 you also needed the xf86-video-amdgpu as well as the module.

For Tumbleweed it works OTB for most of the newer cards.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    OK, that's my one But for 42.2 you also needed the xf86-video-amdgpu as well as the module.

For Tumbleweed it works OTB for most of the newer cards.
    I use Tumbleweed, still tried that package since 42.2 is pretty close (especially at the time when I tried it). Obviously I have xf86-video-amdgpu installed as well, alongside every other amdgpu package offered in the default repositories (I believe there are 3 in total).

My card should definitely be new enough to work. The only problem is that it's labeled GCN 1.0, and from what I heard the Kernel developers are (stubbornly?) still marking those as experimental, although for 1.1 and 1.2 it's default from what I heard.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    I use Tumbleweed, still tried that package since 42.2 is pretty close (especially at the time when I tried it). Obviously I have xf86-video-amdgpu installed as well, alongside every other amdgpu package offered in the default repositories (I believe there are 3 in total).

My card should definitely be new enough to work. The only problem is that it's labeled GCN 1.0, and from what I heard the Kernel developers are (stubbornly?) still marking those as experimental, although for 1.1 and 1.2 it's default from what I heard.
    Hi
    Once 1.1 support was included in Tumbleweed I dropped my packages, so if you still have them, then they should be removed. Then use the default Tumbleweed ones.

So passing the experimental option is the only thing that should be needed.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12