Installed applications do not appear in Start Menu

Hello,

I’m new in OpenSuse, I used to work with other versions of Linux but after years I have decided to install it and work with this great version.

I have an issues with new installed applications from yast2 or apt-get, I can’t find them after installation.

I had installed basket and Google Chrome, it does not appear in Start Menu but on the yast2 appear as installed.

Do you know where they could be to open them?

Thanks,

Note, SUSE does not use apt-get but zypper, apt is just an alias for those coming from Debian/Ubuntu.

That out of the way, are you using GNOME or KDE? If KDE; try hitting alt+f2 and type chrome into the box.

Hi Miuku,

I have update all repositories graphically and now it has appear everything.

I’m using KDE

Thank you,
Jose Luis

Possible explanation:

AFAIK the google chrome (the one from Google, not the free alternative “chromium”) packages are installed to /opt, including a “.desktop” file (which is the part of a package taking care that it will appear in the start menu).

If the package does not have a “post-install” step which refreshes a database of “these are the desktop files available” and/or the path where the desktop file is located is not (yet) in the list of paths the system searches for “.desktop” files, then no entry will be created in the start menu.

However, when logging in next time, one of the standard login scripts (/etc/profile.d/xdg-environment.sh) will take care of that and the entry will appear.

AK