Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Black screen after a huge update to Plasma 5.10 and libQt 5.9

Default Re: Black screen after a huge update to Plasma 5.10 and libQt 5.9

The latest update also works for me. I can even use my non standard fontconfig/libfreetype again, which I disbaled before the update.
    I really would like to know what the actual problem was. I did a lot of reading last night in the QT blogs, there have been hints with earlier beta version of Qt 5.9 that something was wrong with the font rendering.

@rlk, you really should not use any factory repositories, that is just asking for trouble.

rlk, be aware that there are two versions of the following (fundamental) packages:

kcm_sddm
    kcm_sddm_lang
    sddm
    sddm_branding-openSUSE
    sddm_theme-openSUSE

One version is in the OSS repo and the other one is in the Frameworks5 repo.
    You have to switch to the Frameworks5 packages.

The reason for zypper lr -d is not for the url but the numbering and/or exact alias used so we can give you the commands to do the vendor switch. Also if posting computer output use the code tags to stop reformatting by the editor (# in the tool bar). Please do not second guess the reasons for instructions given.

Quote Originally Posted by swannema View Post
    The latest update also works for me. I can even use my non standard fontconfig/libfreetype again, which I disbaled before the update.
    Could you provide a link to that repository?

Quote Originally Posted by swannema View Post
    I really would like to know what the actual problem was. I did a lot of reading last night in the QT blogs, there have been hints with earlier beta version of Qt 5.9 that something was wrong with the font rendering.

@rlk, you really should not use any factory repositories, that is just asking for trouble.
    I'm not using any factory repos. I'm using the openSUSE_Leap_42.2 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph82 View Post
    rlk, be aware that there are two versions of the following (fundamental) packages:

kcm_sddm
    kcm_sddm_lang
    sddm
    sddm_branding-openSUSE
    sddm_theme-openSUSE

One version is in the OSS repo and the other one is in the Frameworks5 repo.
    You have to switch to the Frameworks5 packages.
    All of them are the Frameworks 5 repo (and my issue, for that matter, isn't with sddm):

$ rpm -qi kcm_sddm kcm_sddm-lang sddm sddm-branding-openSUSE sddm-theme-openSUSE |grep Distribution
    Distribution: KDE:Frameworks5 / openSUSE_Leap_42.2

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    The reason for zypper lr -d is not for the url but the numbering and/or exact alias used so we can give you the commands to do the vendor switch. Also if posting computer output use the code tags to stop reformatting by the editor (# in the tool bar). Please do not second guess the reasons for instructions given.
    Code:
    #  | Alias                              | Name                                                                            | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                | Service
    ---+------------------------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+--------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
     1 | Education                          | Applications for education users (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                           | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/education/openSUSE_Leap_42.2        |        
     2 | Emulators_Wine                     | Wine (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                                       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/Wine/openSUSE_Leap_42.2             |        
     3 | GNOME_Apps                         | GNOME Applications (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/GNOME_apps/openSUSE_Leap_42.2       |        
     4 | KDE_Applications                   | KDE:Applications (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                           | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/KDE_Apps/openSUSE_Leap_42.2         |        
     5 | KDE_Extra                          | Additional packages maintained by the KDE team (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/KDE_Extra/openSUSE_Leap_42.2        |        
     6 | KDE_Frameworks5                    | KDE Frameworks 5 development repository (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                    | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/KDE5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2             |        
     7 | KDE_Qt56                           | KDE:Qt56 (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                                   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2              |        
     8 | Kernel_stable                      | Kernel builds for branch stable (standard)                                      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | No      |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/kernel/                             |        
     9 | LibreOffice_Factory                | The development branch for LibreOffice packages (openSUSE_42.2)                 | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/OOo-factory/openSUSE_Leap_42.2      |        
    10 | Packman_repository_(openSUSE_42.2) | Packman repository (openSUSE_42.2)                                              | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/packman/suse/openSUSE_Leap_42.2     |        
    11 | X11_Enlightenment_Factory          | Enlightenment 17 and EFL devel project (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/enlightenment/openSUSE_Leap_42.2    |        
    12 | X11_XOrg                           | X.Org development (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/X/openSUSE_Leap_42.2                |        
    13 | devel_languages_R_released         | R core components, supplements (like rkward), and CRAN packages (openSUSE_42.2) | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/R/openSUSE_Leap_42.2                |        
    14 | devel_tools                        | Generic Development Tools (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                  | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/devtools/openSUSE_Leap_42.2         |        
    15 | editors                            | Text editors and hex editors for Linux (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/editors/openSUSE_Leap_42.2          |        
    16 | graphics                           | Graphics Project (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                           | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/graphics/openSUSE_Leap_42.2         |        
    17 | home_X0F_branches_multimedia       | Branch project for multimedia packages (openSUSE_Leap_42.1)                     | No      | ----      | ----    |  100     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.1/X0F/openSUSE_Leap_42.1              |        
    18 | mozilla                            | Mozilla based projects (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                     | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.2          |        
    19 | multimedia_color_management        | Tools and libraries for color management (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                   | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/color_management/openSUSE_Leap_42.2 |        
    20 | multimedia_photo                   | Tools for viewing and editing photos (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/photo/openSUSE_Leap_42.2            |        
    21 | openSUSE_Leap_42.2_NonFree_Update  | Online updates for openSUSE Leap 42.2 NonFree (standard)                        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse/42.2/non-oss                   |        
    22 | openSUSE_Leap_42.2_Update          | Online updates for openSUSE Leap:42.2 (standard)                                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse/42.2/oss                       |        
    23 | scm                                | scm                                                                             | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/scm/openSUSE_Leap_42.2              |        
    24 | suse-42.2                          | suse-42.2                                                                       | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse-repo/42.2/oss                  |        
    25 | suse-42.2-nonoss                   | suse-42.2-nonoss                                                                | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/suse-repo-nonoss/42.2/non-oss       |        
    26 | vdr                                | Video Disk Recorder (openSUSE_Leap_42.2)                                        | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | ftp://rlkppp.rlk/pub/i386-42.2/vdr/openSUSE_Leap_42.2              |

http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_42.2/

It is actually from a forum user, looks really good.

Something else I notice that's interesting.

When I first log in, my icon fonts are ugly -- a lot of block characters, and generally hard to read.

If I use system settings to change the General font from Liberation Sans 10 to Liberation Sans 9, everything looks a lot better; when I change it back to Liberation Sans 10, things continue to look good.

The rendering's not quite as good as with subpixel hinting, but it looks reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by rlk View Post
    Something else I notice that's interesting.

When I first log in, my icon fonts are ugly -- a lot of block characters, and generally hard to read.

If I use system settings to change the General font from Liberation Sans 10 to Liberation Sans 9, everything looks a lot better; when I change it back to Liberation Sans 10, things continue to look good.

The rendering's not quite as good as with subpixel hinting, but it looks reasonable.
    So I appear to have finally resolved this, by switching my base font from Liberation Sans to FreeSans.

This begs the question of why Liberation Sans has worked well for me for years and only broke now. I last installed liberation-fonts as part of the 42.1->42.2 upgrade I did in December.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast