Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running two Xorg instances - iGPU, NVidia GPU

Blog Entries

Default Re: Running two Xorg instances - iGPU, NVidia GPU

Quote Originally Posted by robert_munteanu View Post
    First of all, VFIO is not the focus of my question. VFIO is the second step. First, I want to run steam on a different GPU, whether using bumblebee or a second Xorg instance.

(That means that maybe a mod should move this to the Applications forum).

Can I find some configurations or instructions somewhere on how to run multiple Xorg instances?

Thanks again.
    First,
    You should understand you intend to run multiple "systems" on your hardware.
    This doesn't necessarily mean virtualization, but you need isolation for each instance.
    You should then pick your choice of technology to run your simultaneous instances... You have many choices...

If you want to run "directly on hardware," the following are some options, it's usually a bit more difficult to set up but if you're chasing performance, then your better options...
    - WINE, which includes PlayonLinux.
    - Docker
    - LXC

Common virtualization technologies are usually easier to set up. You often do have the option to enable hardware pass-through for selected hardware devices.
    - Virtualbox (kind of lagging behind others on GPU pass through capabilities nowadays)
    - VMware (various, Player is free but requires technical know-how for unusual setups. Paid versions hand hold you through complexities)
    - KVM
    - Xen

There are plenty of other choices as well, the above is only a short list of most popular and well known.

I haven't thought about assigning applications running in a non-virtualized environment to specific GPUs (and cores). If you don't mind running your GPU intensive app in the same system environment as your other system processes (and apps), then this might be your easiiest approach. You may not need to set up different X servers to do this (I wouldn't know for sure since I've only done CPU affinity).

I've configured CPU affinity at times in the past. I'd think that similarly configuring GPU affinity should be extremely easy to configure, just do a Google search on "GPU affinity" and you'll see plenty of hits.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    As you have separate monitors, bumblebee is likely not suitable.
    On the second thought - you definitely need HW acceleration for games which means you will need to install both Intel and nVidia specific libraries and Xorg modules in parallel. This is exactly what bumblebee does (unless you will rely on glvnd - not sure in which shape it is in TW right now). So it makes sense to try bumblebee indeed. You may set bumblebeed to keep secondary X server (KeepUnusedXServer=true) and simply start application pointing directly at it, bypassing opti-/primusrun. bumblebeed will make all heavy lifting for you. Worth a try.

You will need to modify secondary xorg.conf which likely configures headless mode (here it sets Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none").

Or you can simply take secondary xorg.conf frmo bumblebee as template.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    First,
    You should understand you intend to run multiple "systems" on your hardware.
    This doesn't necessarily mean virtualization, but you need isolation for each instance.
    You should then pick your choice of technology to run your simultaneous instances... You have many choices...
    Thanks, I'm aware of what my choices are and I know how I plan to accomplish them :-)

My objective is to be able to allocate a discrete GPU to VFIO or steam , alternatively, while using the integrated GPU for all the other Linux programs.

My reasons for doing that are:

* performance; Wine is not by far close to Windows performance
    * low-maintenance; Once VFIO is set up all things should work just like they do in Windows, no need to try winetricks, registry tweaks or maintain separate wine prefixes for apps with different needs
    * steam streaming; I have a Steam link working just fine with a dual-booted Windows instance, which does not work with Wine. VFIO will allow me to stop dual-booting

So for me the choices are clear, I just need to find out the best way to achieve them.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    On the second thought - you definitely need HW acceleration for games which means you will need to install both Intel and nVidia specific libraries and Xorg modules in parallel. This is exactly what bumblebee does (unless you will rely on glvnd - not sure in which shape it is in TW right now). So it makes sense to try bumblebee indeed. You may set bumblebeed to keep secondary X server (KeepUnusedXServer=true) and simply start application pointing directly at it, bypassing opti-/primusrun. bumblebeed will make all heavy lifting for you. Worth a try.

You will need to modify secondary xorg.conf which likely configures headless mode (here it sets Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none").

Or you can simply take secondary xorg.conf frmo bumblebee as template.
    I'll try that, thanks

Blog Entries

I posted a response to this thread in the Virtualization Forum listing what I consider current recommended references for GPU passthrough for Xen, KVM, VMware and Virtualbox.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...40#post2823640

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    I posted a response to this thread in the Virtualization Forum listing what I consider current recommended references for GPU passthrough for Xen, KVM, VMware and Virtualbox.

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...40#post2823640

TSU
    Thanks. I'll set some time aside later on and reboot this project - did not have too much time to look into it recently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12