Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    266

    Default Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Hello everyone,

    I still have some problems on burning the installation DVD ISO Image of openSUSE Tumbleweed to a USB stick for system installation. I have asked a similar question before: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...weed-on-T470s/ But it only works partially, sort of.

    I tried several times last week when I needed to reinstall the system to a new hard drive. Here is a summary first and then some logs. Please help me to find out why the `dd` command does not working for my situation.

    1. The summary.

    The installation uses EFI boot, testing with "secure boot" enabled and disabled.

    Here, "works" means I can boot from the USB stick and enter the system installation screen; "failed" means the screen turns to black for 1 second or two then flashes back to EFI boot menu (all the tested failed situations are the same for me).

    The computer is a new model of Lenovo ThinkPad T470s with USB 3.0 port. The computer has Windows 10 pre-installed and I was trying to install a dual boot openSUSE with it. "Fast boot" of the pre-installed Windows 10 has been disabled specifically. The USB drives I tried are 8GB, 16GB and 64GB Kingston DataTraveler G4. In some cases, the USB stick is re-formatted to narrow down the factors. The ISO image is openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20170429-Media.iso.

    Burning methods I used include,
    • dd
      Code:
      # umount /dev/sdc
      # dd if=openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20170429-Media.iso of=/dev/sdc bs=4M status=progress; sync
    • cp
      Code:
      # cp openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20170429-Media.iso /dev/sdc
    • SUSE ImageWriter (graphic)
    • ImageUSB (on Windows)
    • Rufus 2.14 (on Windows) (including 2 modes: ISO image and DD image)


    For me, only Rufus 2.14 with ISO image mode works on all 3 USB sticks with and without "secure boot". All other methods, including the Rufus with DD image mode, failed.

    I think, all the methods using `dd` or `dd` like mechanism do not work for my situation. But I don't understand the reason. Or,how could I make something like `dd` work for me? If I understand correctly, the `dd` command indicates a very fundamental operation which should work under most, if not all, situations.

    I have even tried to `dd` an ISO image of the KDE Live CD on one of the USB sticks mention above. It doesn't work either.

    2. Some logs
    2.1 fdisk of the 64GB drive after using `cp`
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdc: 58.6 GiB, 62932647936 bytes, 122915328 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x50e24707
    
    Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdc1        3824   11635    7812  3.8M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    /dev/sdc2  *    11636 8138751 8127116  3.9G 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    2.2 fdisk of the 8GB drive after using `dd`
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdc: 7.2 GiB, 7736072192 bytes, 15109516 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x50e24707
    
    Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdc1        3824   11635    7812  3.8M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    /dev/sdc2  *    11636 8138751 8127116  3.9G 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    2.3 fdisk of the 8GB drive after using ImageUSB on Windows
    Code:
    Disk /dev/sdc: 7.2 GiB, 7736072192 bytes, 15109516 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x50e24707
    
    Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdc1        3824   11635    7812  3.8M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    /dev/sdc2  *    11636 8138751 8127116  3.9G 17 Hidden HPFS/NTFS
    3. References I have read and followed



    Best wishes,
    CnZhx
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

  2. #2

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Looking at your dd command there is no path to the iso that you are copying. I'm not sure where dvds's mount but probably off /media or /run/media either maybe followed by a user name. You could use a file manager to browse and see where it is and make sure it's named as you think it is.

    This and some other methods are shown here
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...allation_media

    I had the same problem creating a bootable Knoppix usb stick and then noticed that the iso had a utility to create one.

    John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Thank you, John, for your response on my post. I am sorry for that I have not used the original CLI commands here without proper explanation and this caused some misunderstanding.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    Looking at your dd command there is no path to the iso that you are copying. I'm not sure where dvds's mount but probably off /media or /run/media either maybe followed by a user name. You could use a file manager to browse and see where it is and make sure it's named as you think it is.
    I thought one does not need to mount the ISO file when using `dd` to burn it to a USB stick. Am I right on this? The command I showed above is just for the format. I have cd-ed to the right directory for locating the ISO file so there is no path in the command.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    This and some other methods are shown here
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...allation_media
    Thanks for this suggestion. I should've included this one as a reference above. This is a good one and I have a thorough reading on this.

    As I stated at the beginning, I can use "Rufus with ISO image mode" to create a USB drive for system installation and have succeeded with "secure boot" of EFI enabled and disabled.

    My problem is the `dd` made USB stick cannot boot into the installation screen.

    Regards,
    CnZhx
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    23,486

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Quote Originally Posted by cnzhx View Post
    I thought one does not need to mount the ISO file when using `dd` to burn it to a USB stick. Am I right on this? The command I showed above is just for the format. I have cd-ed to the right directory for locating the ISO file so there is no path in the command.
    You do not require an absolute path, a relative one (to your working directory) is OK of course. This is one reason that we advise to copy/paste what you do complete: prompt, command, output, next prompt. In this case we e.g. could have seen your working directory from your prompt, possibly that would have avoided ajohnw's confusion.

    And of course you do not "burn" anything, you just copy a file.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You do not require an absolute path, a relative one (to your working directory) is OK of course. This is one reason that we advise to copy/paste what you do complete: prompt, command, output, next prompt. In this case we e.g. could have seen your working directory from your prompt, possibly that would have avoided ajohnw's confusion.
    Thanks Henk for your advice on providing a complete commandline output. I'll try to do it better next time.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And of course you do not "burn" anything, you just copy a file.
    You're absolutely correct on this.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    23,486

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    I did not really be of any help to your problem. That is because I think the way you create the bootable install device (with e.g. the dd command you used) is correct. Thus it comes down to the details of booting it. EFI vs. non-EFI, Secure. vs. not Secure, etc. I am not that good a these boot details and hope that others will join here to try to analyze that.
    Henk van Velden

  7. #7

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    The other problem I had with my Knoppix bootable stick was bios settings. It crops up way down the list as a blank space as I haven't added a label to it. It took some bios setting changes to get it appear in the legacy section of the boot menu and then it did boot.

    This link gives some detail about secure boot.

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Secure_Boot

    I'm not sure if opensuse iso's even use secure boot. I installed leap from a dvd but can't remember which bios boot section it was booted from.

    The only thing I can add to the other archwiki link is that lsblk will show which sdx the usb is located on and as they mention it must not be a partition. ;-) I dug the link out for next time I need to do one.

    John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,123

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Secure boot should work ok once installed but on some machines you need it off during the install. Not all UEFI are made the same.

    Your lines to do the copy look ok and so does your partitioning. So more info on exactly where in the install things fail. Any modification to the ISO to use syslinux or other boot helpers will not work. Only a plain binary copy to the device. I use the cp command all the time without problems.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I did not really be of any help to your problem. That is because I think the way you create the bootable install device (with e.g. the dd command you used) is correct. Thus it comes down to the details of booting it. EFI vs. non-EFI, Secure. vs. not Secure, etc. I am not that good a these boot details and hope that others will join here to try to analyze that.
    Hi Henk, your comments are valuable not only on this topic but also on the long run although it's not specific to my problem.

    I will detail other things such as EFI vs. non-EFI, Secure. vs. not Secure later in this post.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    The other problem I had with my Knoppix bootable stick was bios settings. It crops up way down the list as a blank space as I haven't added a label to it. It took some bios setting changes to get it appear in the legacy section of the boot menu and then it did boot.

    This link gives some detail about secure boot.

    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Secure_Boot

    I'm not sure if opensuse iso's even use secure boot. I installed leap from a dvd but can't remember which bios boot section it was booted from.

    The only thing I can add to the other archwiki link is that lsblk will show which sdx the usb is located on and as they mention it must not be a partition. ;-) I dug the link out for next time I need to do one.

    John
    -
    Hi John, your comments remind that I should state that I don't want Legacy boot but only EFI boot, with or without secure boot. I am not sure about the problem because I can boot and install the system with the USB stick made by using Rufus with ISO image mode but not others.

    For what it worth, I have tried with secure boot both on and off, and both configuration work on this same USB stick I made. However, other USB sticks won't work either with secure boot ON or with secure boot OFF.

    So I guess openSUSE does support secure boot because I installed my current system with secure boot ON and it is still on at present.

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Secure boot should work ok once installed but on some machines you need it off during the install. Not all UEFI are made the same.

    Your lines to do the copy look ok and so does your partitioning. So more info on exactly where in the install things fail. Any modification to the ISO to use syslinux or other boot helpers will not work. Only a plain binary copy to the device. I use the cp command all the time without problems.
    Hi gogalthorp, you have helped on this topic on the other thread which I posted initially when I was trying to install this system. I will elaborate this topic a little more below.

    ========== Add some details on my problem. ==========
    First, I think, after all the way down to this point, I do not have problem with the command line regarding to `dd` or `cp` to made a bootable USB stick with the installation DVD ISO image. As you can see, the `fdisk -l` outputs show that the USB stick "should" work.

    Second, on secure boot ON vs OFF, and EFI vs Legacy boot. I need to clarify that I only want EFI boot, so Legacy mode is not an option here. Unless, the `dd` made bootable USB stick, or to say the installation DVD ISO image will not work for EFI mode. It does work for EFI mode, right?

    Third, I have already tried the USB stick which was made using Rufus in ISO image mode. This USB stick can be used under EFI boot with secure boot ON **and** OFF. So, secure boot seems not a problem here. Unless, the `dd` made bootable USB stick, or to say the installation DVD ISO image will not work for EFI secure boot mode which I think is not true.

    So, the problem seems to be related to the difference between the way Rufus making bootable USB stick using installation ISO image under ISO image mode, and the way `dd` binary copying the ISO image to a USB drive.

    Thank you all for your discussion. I really appreciate them.

    Regards,
    CnZhx
    openSUSE Tumbleweed (usually the latest snapshot) w/ KDE Plasma 5

  10. #10

    Default Re: Problems on burning ISO to USB thumb drive for system installation

    I made no conscious decision to use secure boot on the machine that I was installing on but that is what the install did to the machine - caused it to use secure boot when leap is booted. I understand that if windows is to be dual booted the linux boot must be secure otherwise windows will be unavailable. It may be optional on some distro's.

    I use an HP workstation so things on that are likely to be different. There is more than one boot from usb for instance. From what I am reading here it sounds like some machines have the ability to turn the need for a secure boot on and off. Mine doesn't work like that. What can be booted shows in a different section of the bios's boot from table. I think the sections start secure, not secure and then legacy support. The Knoppix bootable usb stick I mentioned is also intended to run Knoppix rather than install it. I boot it from where the bios decides to put it. In this case the 2nd lower boot from usb option. I'd need to reboot to check but think that needed the other usb boot option to be disabled.

    From an installation point of view I can't see why what ever is used needs to use secure boot. It's only going to be booted when it installs. Knoppix is a little different. It's main purpose is to run live from either a dvd or a usb stick for maintenance and recovery work on another linux pc but I believe it can be used for the same on windows. It mounts all of the disks on a machine under /media. When it created the usb stick for me from the dvd I suspect it used dd. I've seen no signs of a separate utility in it. Actually it runs faster from the dvd so I have some usb3 sticks on order.

    John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •