Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Network printers printouts do not look like the original document: cut off, shrinked and shifted

Default Network printers printouts do not look like the original document: cut off, shrinked and shifted

Hi,
    we have a really annoying printing problem in our office, i try to make it simple. When printing documents (for example pdf files) with one of our network printers, the print is a shifted and shrinked and a little bit cut off version of the original file (especially compared with the print previews !) My guess is that the printer driver in never versions of opensuse is broken. Here are some facts:
    - we have 4 PCs (two with the newest version of opensuse Tumbleweed, one with openSUSE Leap 42.x [the one with kernel 4.4] and an older pre Leap openSUSE version)
    - the problem only appears on the 3 first mentioned systems!
    - the Leap system was affected from the beginning, the Tumbleweed systems are set up a longer time ago and did not had this problem in the beginning
    - the older, non leap, system is totally fine.
    - we also have one directly connected usb printer which does not have any problems, just our two network printers.

Here are two images to illustrate the problem, the first picture shows an example pdf file on okular on the left, and on the right is the printing preview:
    http://imgur.com/a/uFAWM

and this is the printout:
    http://imgur.com/a/MiDAg

Default Re: Network printers printouts do not look like the original document: cut off, shrinked and shifted

Blaming the printer driver is one thing, but not telling what driver, not even what printer, makes it a bit difficult to follow you.
    Henk van Velden

Default Re: Network printers printouts do not look like the original document: cut off, shrinked and shifted

Sorry, i am no expert i just hoped that this is a common problem which could be solved by resetting or removing some configuration files or something similar maybe.
    Those printers are added via yast by adding their address to the network printers field, the rest was done automatically. If i can provide any additional information i will be happy to do so.

One printer is a: HP LaserJet P4515x, yast tells my that the driver is: Remote printer: HP Laserjet p4515, hpcups 3.12.4
    The other is a: HP Color LaserJet CP4025, the driver is: Remote printer: HP Color Laserjet cp4020 Series pcl3, hpcups 3.12.4

I also tried to print a test page via yast, this does not work at all, the /var/log/cups/error_log shows this errors:
    Code:
    E [11/May/2017:15:28:38 +0200] [cups-deviced] PID 11278 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
    E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/cupsfilters.drv\"!
    E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/generic-brf.drv\"!
    E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/indexv3.drv\"!
    E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/indexv4.drv\"!
    E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/sample.drv\"!
    but as implied before, printing via okular works but the output is unusable.

And there are older warnings also, i do not now if they are relevant:
    Code:
     [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
    W [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files

When it was a "common problem" I guess you would have found several threads about it here on the forums .

It now looks as if it is rather printer (two different HP type) independent (but it seems to use the same driver). Something that we did not know before.
    Henk van Velden

Ok, is there anything i can do? Because not being able to print is pretty problematic in our office.

Quote Originally Posted by sabo007 View Post
    Ok, is there anything i can do? Because not being able to print is pretty problematic in our office.
    Check if the full package "hplip" is installed on your Tumbleweed and Leap systems as it should be in the main oss repo but is no longer installed by default. Only the very basic sub-package "hplip-hpijs" is installed by default. For Linux, HP provides latest printer drivers, installer, setup, configuration and operational support only through full HPLIP. For more info see for example https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/buu00659

I installed a new wifi connected HP all-in-one recently on Tumbleweed and Leap without going anywhere near Yast, just by installing hplip from the main oss repo, running it from the desktop menu (app is called HP Device Manager). Worked properly first time, no issues.
    Leap 42.2 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.6) ~ crawling updates
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (Btrfs, KDE Plasma5) ~ spinning with updates

I installed hplip and also upgraded some other packages and restarted the system. But now the printers does not pritn at all!
    There is this new system tray icon and when i click on it, i see that the printer has some kind of problem, the status message (after giving a print order) is:
    No destination host name supplied by cups-browsed for printer "printername", is cups-browsed running?

But the cups-browsed server was indeed running, i also restarted the service and tried again, but that did not help.

Quote Originally Posted by sabo007 View Post
    I installed hplip and also upgraded some other packages and restarted the system. But now the printers does not pritn at all!
    It's a start, and frustrating I'm sure . There are no shortcuts so more precision for the helpers, please. So which system, do tell? Suggest you troubleshoot with just the one system initially (the more stable should be Leap, but you choose). What desktop in use?

There is this new system tray icon and when i click on it, i see that the printer has some kind of problem, the status message (after giving a print order) is:
    Yes the systray icon "hp". Right-clicking should enable you to pop up the HP Device Manager. How is the printer connected to network, WIFI or LAN cable to router?

Has the printer been configured for network using printer's built-in function or wizard and diagnostic capabilities (if it has any)? Can you print its Network Configuration Page, for example that might show up missing items such as Network Name, IP Address, Config Source (DHCP) etc?
    Leap 42.2 (ext4, KDE Plasma 5.8.6) ~ crawling updates
    Manjaro (ext4, Xfce) ~ rolling updates
    Tumbleweed (Btrfs, KDE Plasma5) ~ spinning with updates

Default AW: Network printers printouts do not look like the original document: cut off, shrinked and shifted

Try as root:
    Code:
    hp-setup
    Or install a newer Version of hplip:
    http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast