Network printers printouts do not look like the original document: cut off, shrinked and shifted

Hi,
we have a really annoying printing problem in our office, i try to make it simple. When printing documents (for example pdf files) with one of our network printers, the print is a shifted and shrinked and a little bit cut off version of the original file (especially compared with the print previews !) My guess is that the printer driver in never versions of opensuse is broken. Here are some facts:

• we have 4 PCs (two with the newest version of opensuse Tumbleweed, one with openSUSE Leap 42.x [the one with kernel 4.4] and an older pre Leap openSUSE version)
  • the problem only appears on the 3 first mentioned systems!
  • the Leap system was affected from the beginning, the Tumbleweed systems are set up a longer time ago and did not had this problem in the beginning
  • the older, non leap, system is totally fine.
  • we also have one directly connected usb printer which does not have any problems, just our two network printers.

Here are two images to illustrate the problem, the first picture shows an example pdf file on okular on the left, and on the right is the printing preview:
http://imgur.com/a/uFAWM
http://imgur.com/a/uFAWM

and this is the printout:
http://imgur.com/a/MiDAg
http://imgur.com/a/MiDAg

Blaming the printer driver is one thing, but not telling what driver, not even what printer, makes it a bit difficult to follow you.

Sorry, i am no expert i just hoped that this is a common problem which could be solved by resetting or removing some configuration files or something similar maybe.
Those printers are added via yast by adding their address to the network printers field, the rest was done automatically. If i can provide any additional information i will be happy to do so.

One printer is a: HP LaserJet P4515x, yast tells my that the driver is: Remote printer: HP Laserjet p4515, hpcups 3.12.4
The other is a: HP Color LaserJet CP4025, the driver is: Remote printer: HP Color Laserjet cp4020 Series pcl3, hpcups 3.12.4

I also tried to print a test page via yast, this does not work at all, the /var/log/cups/error_log shows this errors:

E [11/May/2017:15:28:38 +0200] [cups-deviced] PID 11278 (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with status 1!
E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/cupsfilters.drv\"!
E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/generic-brf.drv\"!
E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/indexv3.drv\"!
E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/indexv4.drv\"!
E [11/May/2017:15:29:00 +0200] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file \"/usr/share/cups/drv/sample.drv\"!

but as implied before, printing via okular works but the output is unusable.

And there are older warnings also, i do not now if they are relevant:

[09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files
W [09/May/2017:17:49:21 +0200] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown:The name org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files

When it was a “common problem” I guess you would have found several threads about it here on the forums ;).

It now looks as if it is rather printer (two different HP type) independent (but it seems to use the same driver). Something that we did not know before.

Ok, is there anything i can do? Because not being able to print is pretty problematic in our office.

Check if the full package “hplip” is installed on your Tumbleweed and Leap systems as it should be in the main oss repo but is no longer installed by default. Only the very basic sub-package “hplip-hpijs” is installed by default. For Linux, HP provides latest printer drivers, installer, setup, configuration and operational support only through full HPLIP. For more info see for example https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/buu00659

I installed a new wifi connected HP all-in-one recently on Tumbleweed and Leap without going anywhere near Yast, just by installing hplip from the main oss repo, running it from the desktop menu (app is called HP Device Manager). Worked properly first time, no issues.

I installed hplip and also upgraded some other packages and restarted the system. But now the printers does not pritn at all!
There is this new system tray icon and when i click on it, i see that the printer has some kind of problem, the status message (after giving a print order) is:
No destination host name supplied by cups-browsed for printer “printername”, is cups-browsed running?

But the cups-browsed server was indeed running, i also restarted the service and tried again, but that did not help.

It’s a start, and frustrating I’m sure :). There are no shortcuts so more precision for the helpers, please. So which system, do tell? Suggest you troubleshoot with just the one system initially (the more stable should be Leap, but you choose). What desktop in use?

There is this new system tray icon and when i click on it, i see that the printer has some kind of problem, the status message (after giving a print order) is:

Yes the systray icon “hp”. Right-clicking should enable you to pop up the HP Device Manager. How is the printer connected to network, WIFI or LAN cable to router?

Has the printer been configured for network using printer’s built-in function or wizard and diagnostic capabilities (if it has any)? Can you print its Network Configuration Page, for example that might show up missing items such as Network Name, IP Address, Config Source (DHCP) etc?

Try as root:

hp-setup

Or install a newer Version of hplip:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

That shouldn’t be necessary though. According to the hplip website, the LaserJet P4515x was supported by hplip version 2.8.5, the newer Colour LaserJet cp4025 by version 3.9.12, and Leap 42.2’s version at 3.16.5 is more recent in both cases.

Yes i am currently trying to get this to work on my PC (openSUSE Tumbleweed) using KDE plasma as desktop. The printers are connected via USB to another PC in the printer room (the systray configuration menu also lists the connection type: implicitclass:lpc [the printers are lpc and lc], i do not know if this is important), which is accessible via the network (LAN).
I do not have access to the other PC or its configuration. To get access to those two printers i just had to put the name/IP of the printer PC in the network printer line in the printer configuration of YAST, after that both printers are available.

hp-setup dsoes not work (i ran it as root), is just outputs this:

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.16.11)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0

Copyright (c) 2001-15 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

warning: No display found.
error: hp-setup requires GUI support (try running with --qt3). Also, try using interactive (-i) mode.

even adding --qt3 does not help, it justs prints the help page and at the bottom the warning:

error: option --qt3 not recognized

And how can i print out the network configuration page?

zypper se -si hplip
zypper lr -d

zypper se -si hplip:

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name        | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository            
--+-------------+---------+-------------+--------+-----------------------
i | hplip       | package | 3.16.11-2.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
i | hplip-hpijs | package | 3.16.11-2.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)
i | hplip-sane  | package | 3.16.11-2.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS)

zypper lr -d

Repository priorities are without effect. All enabled repositories share the same priority.

# | Alias                            | Name                            | Enabled | GPG Check | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                 | Service
--+----------------------------------+---------------------------------+---------+-----------+---------+----------+--------+---------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
1 | download.opensuse.org-non-oss    | Haupt-Repository (NON-OSS)      | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/               |        
2 | download.opensuse.org-oss        | Haupt-Repository (OSS)          | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/                   |        
3 | download.opensuse.org-tumbleweed | Hauptaktualisierungs-Repository | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/                     |        
4 | packman                          | packman                         | Yes     | (r ) Yes  | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ |        
5 | repo-debug                       | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Debug       | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/debug/tumbleweed/repo/oss/             |        
6 | repo-source                      | openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Source      | No      | ----      | ----    |   99     | NONE   | http://download.opensuse.org/source/tumbleweed/repo/oss/

You will need to know your way around the printer’s control panel (assuming there is one) - refer to your printer’s manual. A picture of the cp4025 appears to show a display panel. You may be able to display some network config details at least, but a printed report may also give you diagnostic results, at least it will be easier to read. Also you may be able to change some network settings via the printer’s control panel, should it become necessary. Initially though look for missing items, e.g. IP address, and Configuration Source (could be set to DHCP). Those were actually missing for my [different] printer until I initiated a network “setup” using the control panel as instructed in the printer’s start-up guide. Your’s may be different.

Hplip will not be able to discover the printer without a valid IP address, or function with it. To check that, once the IP is known, in a terminal from command line: “ping ip.address.of.printer”. It should respond with reported lines of text, press Ctrl+C to terminate after a few lines.

Question whether your printer can be networked simultaneously with its usb connection enabled to that other PC (mine has two types of connection usb and wifi, but cannot do that!). Refer to printer’s documentation.

I was able to print the diagnostics and configuration pages via the control panel on the printer. Indeed there a some TCP/IP information and most stuff like, hostname, domain names, DNS-server etc are not set but i think this is because those printers are connected via usb with the printer server pc. And i am also not so sure that my problem is related to the printer configuration itself because, as i said, there are PCs that can print! only our tumbleweed and leap pcs cannot (that means: my pc cannot print since installing hplip and the others only print corrupted pages). There is also another work group on our floor using the same printers and they can print also, but they do not use openSUSE i guess.

Specifically, did it report its IP address e.g. 192.168.1.2 (in that form but numbers may vary)??? Or do you think someone else might know it from their networked PC? Any networked device needs one, even my TV has one, displayable from its own settings. In an enterprise/office scenario there is usually a network Administrator who knows these things.

only our tumbleweed and leap pcs cannot (that means: my pc cannot print since installing hplip and the others only print corrupted pages).

Corrupt pages is an outcome that is no use to anyone, but a blank page is a new beginning. :slight_smile:

There is also another work group on our floor using the same printers and they can print also, but they do not use openSUSE i guess.

However, they may know the IP Addresses of the printers? What operating systems are they using e.g Windows, macOS, or Linux (distro?)?

I know the IP or the name of the printer server, which is something like: ico.group.ourdomainname when adding this to YAST, two printers get listed as network printers. I do not think that those printers have or need to have own ips because they connected via USB, i think that the printer server runs a CUPS server (or similar) and just passed the printer/device information over to the clients and the printing orders from the clients to the printers. edit: i just talked to the admin and he confirms that those printers do not have, and need, a IP, as they are just handled by the printer server pc, which does all the communication with the clients.

The other work group also uses Linux, Debian i guess.

OK. It turns out that the printers are not attached to any LAN/WIFI and you cannot have direct access to them or interfere with their configuration. :wink:

I would be surprised if openSUSE/SUSE couldn’t be made to work with a CUPs print server. Perhaps it is back to Yast setup, or I see a cups config tool on Leap (Main menu > System > Print settings) which also sees my printer. I haven’t used cups directly in years, so will leave that for others. If I come across anything useful, I will post it.

You can just close HPLIP by right-clicking the systray icon and selecting Quit in the context menu. At least you have the full HP support package installed now with latest drivers.

This page/diagram may help to see how HPLIP and CUPs work together, and could apply to your situation with those USB connected printers:

http://hplipopensource.com/node/128

IIRC you did mention that hp-systray actually referenced the two printers in some way…