Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    498

    Default Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Hi
    Why is so much repos in openSUSE?
    Why are not they gather in a specific repo (Extra)?
    Why different applications in one or more specific repos are not?
    Many repos is causes confusion and disorganization of the system
    Thanks
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    If want to use dolphin 17.04 and plugin dolphin in repo "KDE:applications" i must full switch to repo "KDE:applications" or do not need full switch?
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,890
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Quote Originally Posted by 123thinksuse View Post
    Hi
    Why is so much repos in openSUSE?
    Why are not they gather in a specific repo (Extra)?
    Why different applications in one or more specific repos are not?
    Many repos is causes confusion and disorganization of the system
    Thanks
    Hi
    How do you mean.... I only have two online ones, oss and update... then I have a local one for a few additional rpms I use.

    If you are adding random repos from OBS, then that's a user management issue. If there is something you would like to see in Tumbleweed, then you need to approach the maintainer and ask them to push to Factory so it will appear in Tumbleweed.

    If your pulling direct from development repos that push to factory, then you need to look at being patient until they pass review and are released.

    The only time you could add an additional one is if you raise a bug and the the bug owner asks you to add one for testing.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Quote Originally Posted by 123thinksuse View Post
    If want to use dolphin 17.04 and plugin dolphin in repo "KDE:applications" i must full switch to repo "KDE:applications" or do not need full switch?
    Please.
    The main point of Tumbleweed is *not* having to add additional repos to get the latest software versions.
    Wait a few days, and dolphin 17.04 will be in the standard repo...

    KDE:Applications doesn't even fully build for Tumbleweed currently (and still contains many 17.04 Beta versions therefore), as it requires a different change in Tumbleweed first.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,171

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Quote Originally Posted by 123thinksuse View Post
    Hi
    Why is so much repos in openSUSE?
    Why are not they gather in a specific repo (Extra)?
    Why different applications in one or more specific repos are not?
    Many repos is causes confusion and disorganization of the system
    Thanks
    You do not tell how much "so much" is. Thus we can only guess.

    IMHO you only need five (5): the distribution itself (OSS and non-OSS), the ones you get patches from (Update OSS and Update non-OSS) and I assume most want to have functioning Multimedia (Packman).

    That is it.

    All else is things you personally want as extras. That is up to you, but you do not need them (and I do not use them).
    Henk van Velden

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Please.
    The main point of Tumbleweed is *not* having to add additional repos to get the latest software versions.
    Wait a few days, and dolphin 17.04 will be in the standard repo...

    KDE:Applications doesn't even fully build for Tumbleweed currently (and still contains many 17.04 Beta versions therefore), as it requires a different change in Tumbleweed first.
    OK
    Thank you for tips
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You do not tell how much "so much" is. Thus we can only guess.

    IMHO you only need five (5): the distribution itself (OSS and non-OSS), the ones you get patches from (Update OSS and Update non-OSS) and I assume most want to have functioning Multimedia (Packman).

    That is it.

    All else is things you personally want as extras. That is up to you, but you do not need them (and I do not use them).
    I'm sorry for my bad English
    Ok,But all softwares not included in the original repos
    i add repo "home:moritzmolch:gencfsm" for app gnome encfs manager
    i add repo "home:Herbster0815" for app cairo-dock
    i add repo "KDE:Extra: for app soundkonvert
    I add reop "Emulators" for app wine 2.7.x
    And softwares that might not be in the main frepos
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    Quote Originally Posted by 123thinksuse View Post
    Ok,But all software not included in the original repos
    i use repo "home:moritzmolch:gencfsm" for app gnome encfs manager
    i add repo "home:Herbster0815" for app cairo-dock
    Those are home: repos, *everybody* can create his/her own and build what (s)he wants there (similar to PPA's in Ubuntu). That's also why there are so many of them...

    I add reop "Emulators" for app wine 2.7.x
    wine *is* in the distribution, you don't need the Emulators repo for that. Although there are packages in there that are not in the standard repos.

    In the end, it's the repo maintainers's choice what they submit to Factory or not.
    Sometimes there may be good reasons for not doing it, a package in the distribution needs to be well maintained and fulfill certain "quality" (and legal) standards.
    Sometimes just nobody bothered to submit it (yet).
    Asking the maintainer can help in the latter case, as has been hinted at already...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-May-2017 at 07:55.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: Why is so much repos in openSUSE?

    I fully understand
    I am a beginner
    I'm sorry for the little information and bad my English
    Thank you all for reply
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •