Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

  1. #1

    Default kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    On my son's laptop, an asus vivobook pro N552VW-FY204T, i7 6700HQ Processor, 16Gb RAM, graphic intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with 2G/4G GDDR5 VRAM (I suppose that intel HD is used, becouse I unstalled bumblebee that worked badly), running leap 42.2, plasma5.9.5, kde framework 5.33.0, kernel 4.4.62-18.6-default, libreoffice 5.2.5.1,
    often (using libreoffice but not only) kwin crashes with this message:

    that translated from italian sound approximately:
    title_________________________|___description
    zeroing (or resetting) graphics___| a zeroing (or resetting) graphics error has occurred
    composition has been suspended_| another application has requested to suspend the composition

    is there a way to solve this??
    manythanks, ciao, pier :-)

  2. #2

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    title_________________________|___description
    zeroing (or resetting) graphics___| a zeroing (or resetting) graphics error has occurred
    composition has been suspended_| another application has requested to suspend the composition
    What you show here is no error or crash dialog.

    It's the configuration dialog for kwin's notifications...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    did you try setting uxa as the proffered acceleration method?
    create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confI
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confI
    and paste this
    Code:
        Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        EndSection
    don't have an optimus rig but I do think bumblebee (with the propitiatory nvidia driver not noveao) is needed
    another option would be to replace kwin with openbox or disable all compositing and use software rendering but that would degrade performance

  4. #4

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    What you show here is no error or crash dialog.

    It's the configuration dialog for kwin's notifications...
    ...but this is what appear when everything is blocked for few seconds

  5. #5

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    did you try setting uxa as the proffered acceleration method?
    create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confI
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.confI
    and paste this
    Code:
        Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        EndSection
    yes I did, but it doesn't works at all
    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    don't have an optimus rig but I do think bumblebee (with the propitiatory nvidia driver not noveao) is needed
    another option would be to replace kwin with openbox or disable all compositing and use software rendering but that would degrade performance
    well, I don't know if it is optimus, but, I tried to install bumblebee but it doesn't works at all... so I uninstalled it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    it's probobly optimus as all intel+nvidia laptops are optimus now days
    how did you install bumblebee did you install the nvidia drivers or did you keep noveau?
    I'd say retry to install bumblebee according to the new wiki
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    including the propitiatory nvidia codecs

    if not sure it's optimus go in bios and see if you can switch off intel's graphic an older helpful video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDkczrf5fI

    did you maybe install nvidia driver the hard way as mixing may cause issues

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    I just remembered Skylake had issues with the Linux kernel
    according to the arch wiki the best bet is to disable hardware acceleration on skylake chips
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...kylake_support
    edit the above file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf to
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option        "DRI"    "false"
    EndSection
    afaik TW has better skylake support a switch to TW might be a better choice

    edit
    another option is to add
    Code:
    i915.enable_rc6=0
    to the boot parameters you can do this with yast

  8. #8

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    it's probobly optimus as all intel+nvidia laptops are optimus now days
    how did you install bumblebee did you install the nvidia drivers or did you keep noveau?
    I'd say retry to install bumblebee according to the new wiki
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    including the propitiatory nvidia codecs
    yes, I followed the new wiki installing the nvidia proprietary driver from bumblebee repo as described in the new wiki, but at that time resulted very better the behaviour without bumblebee

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    if not sure it's optimus go in bios and see if you can switch off intel's graphic an older helpful video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDkczrf5fI
    as soon as I have the laptop in my hands I will try.
    so, as I understood, I can have as my primary card the nvidia card and then install the nvidia driver from the leap 42.2 repo in the classical way??
    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    did you maybe install nvidia driver the hard way as mixing may cause issues
    no, no hard way nvidia install..

  9. #9

    Default Re: kwin randomly crash with zeroing (or resetting) graphics message

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I just remembered Skylake had issues with the Linux kernel
    according to the arch wiki the best bet is to disable hardware acceleration on skylake chips
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...kylake_support
    edit the above file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf to
    Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option        "DRI"    "false"
    EndSection
    afaik TW has better skylake support a switch to TW might be a better choice

    edit
    another option is to add
    Code:
    i915.enable_rc6=0
    to the boot parameters you can do this with yast
    manythanks, as soon as I have the laptop in my hands I will try also this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •