Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

Just an added comment here.

My current desktop (a DELL) came with Window 8 (later upgraded to 8.1). I installed a second hard drive for opensuse. It is a UEFI box. So this is similar to the situation that is being asked about.

I created an EFI partition (sometimes called an ESP) on the second hard drive. There was already an EFI partition on the first drive. I create a 500M partition for EFI near the beginning of the second drive.

During install, I set that 500M partition to be mounted at "/boot/efi", and to be formatted FAT. The installer took care of all of the other details for making it an EFI partition.

It turned out that this was a good setup. The UEFI implementation in this computer is broken, and using a second EFI partition works around that breakage.

I have a second computer with two drives. I also decided to put an EFI partition on each drive. However, that second system is working well with on the EFI partition on the first drive being used. I'm using the EFI partition on the second drive to backup that on the first drive. But it is booting entirely from the first drive. That's how it is supposed to work.

My advice to the OP: Create a second EFI partition on the second drive. However, use the EFI partition on the first drive for your opensuse install. The EFI partition on the second drive is just a spare in case you later decide to use it. By allocating the space for that up front, you make it easier to switch to that at a later time.

As far as I know, ASUS systems have a reasonably good UEFI implementation. But note that I have no personal experience with them.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Hi everyone,
    I checked my Windows drive in Disk Management and found no EFI partition on it, so Windows was installed in legacy mode. So, I need to reinstall windows in UEFI mode before I install openSuse on a separate HD?

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Just an added comment here.

My current desktop (a DELL) came with Window 8 (later upgraded to 8.1). I installed a second hard drive for opensuse. It is a UEFI box. So this is similar to the situation that is being asked about.

I created an EFI partition (sometimes called an ESP) on the second hard drive. There was already an EFI partition on the first drive. I create a 500M partition for EFI near the beginning of the second drive.

During install, I set that 500M partition to be mounted at "/boot/efi", and to be formatted FAT. The installer took care of all of the other details for making it an EFI partition.

It turned out that this was a good setup. The UEFI implementation in this computer is broken, and using a second EFI partition works around that breakage.

I have a second computer with two drives. I also decided to put an EFI partition on each drive. However, that second system is working well with on the EFI partition on the first drive being used. I'm using the EFI partition on the second drive to backup that on the first drive. But it is booting entirely from the first drive. That's how it is supposed to work.

My advice to the OP: Create a second EFI partition on the second drive. However, use the EFI partition on the first drive for your opensuse install. The EFI partition on the second drive is just a spare in case you later decide to use it. By allocating the space for that up front, you make it easier to switch to that at a later time.

As far as I know, ASUS systems have a reasonably good UEFI implementation. But note that I have no personal experience with them.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dontosaw View Post
    I checked my Windows drive in Disk Management and found no EFI partition on it
    I would not trust Disk Management here. ESP is rather special, so may well be hidden.
    So, I need to reinstall windows in UEFI mode before I install openSuse on a separate HD?
    Of course not. But with legacy BIOS you either need to use BIOS boot device selection to chose Windows or Linux (assuming BIOS offers it in the first place) or decide which OS will control boot and add another OS to its boot menu.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    I would not trust Disk Management here. ESP is rather special, so may well be hidden.

Of course not. But with legacy BIOS you either need to use BIOS boot device selection to chose Windows or Linux (assuming BIOS offers it in the first place) or decide which OS will control boot and add another OS to its boot menu.
    I read an article that gave instructions on how to check if you had an EFI partition by looking at the disks with Disk Management in Windows 10. The article included a screenshot, which showed how an EFI partition would appear, so I think it would show up. Also, when I installed Windows, I had the UEFI option set for other OS, not Windows secure boot, as I didn't know that Linux distros were compatible. All my data is backed up and I want to take full advantage of UEFI partitioning and booting, so I will set UEFI boot option to UEFI only and reinstall Windows 10 clean, with new partitioning of main drive. That way, I will have both Linux and Windows booting UEFI, not legacy.

I went ahead and changed my UEFI options to disable compatibility mode and boot UEFI only. Then I reinstalled Windows 10 from USB stick. Afterwards I went into disk management and sure enough it shows that it is portioned GPT with EFI partition. Secure boot is enabled. I received the new HD and plan to install it and give this a shot in the next day or so. I will report back.

Success!
    Dual boot works great. Using UEFI with secure boot. I do love YaST!
    Thanks everyone for your help! Special thanks to 3toedsloth. His step by step worked perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12