Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

  1. #1

    Default Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    I have Windows 10 and want to install Leap 42.2 to a separate HDD on an UEFI system. I would like to install Grub onto the HDD with the Leap installation. I want Grub to have an entry pointing to the Windows boot loader on the Windows drive. I do not want Grub to live on the Windows drive as I know this will lead to issues down the road as Microsoft seems to go out of their way to make it difficult to have Windows coexist with another OS on the same system and that Windows will overwrite Grub at the earliest opportunity (like during service pack installation). It is my understanding that with UEFI, that booting into an OS on one HDD with the other disconnected can lead to the boot entry in UEFI being deleted in some systems. I have an ASUS system.

    I found an article on installing Ubuntu on a separate HDD on a system with Windows 10 installed. Link: http://linuxbsdos.com/2015/10/31/how...o-hard-drives/

    Should the procedure described in the article work with OpenSuse Leap 42.2? If not, how do I go about doing this? Can I leave secure boot enabled in UEFI options?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    Hi,

    Yes this will work. I have Windows 10 ssd on my sata1 and openSUSE on sata2 hdd and use grub to boot Windows.

    1. plug in linux hard drive and unplug windows hdd.
    2. install openSUSE on drive. Reboot and check bios - openSUSE should be the only entry in the boot order - continue booting to openSUSE and do updates etc. Shutdown.
    3. plug back in windows drive and boot to openSUSE. Go to yast>boot loader. in one tab it says probe other OS - hit OK and new grub will be generated which will find windows.
    4. There now should be Windows boot option in your grub screen.

    when doing the initial install remember to boot from the device with "UEFI" prefix.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,129

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by dontosaw View Post
    separate HDD on an UEFI system
    On UEFI system bootloader is not installed "on HDD" but in a directory on ESP (EFI System Partition). Windows and openSUSE will use different directories so there is normally no problem to have both installed. It is also possible to use separate ESP on hard disk with Linux, but it is not strictly required.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    305

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    In answer to your final question yes you can keep secure boot. By the way with Windows service upgrades (at least so far with windows 10) I have not encountered any problem booting into Linux after. That is unless you do a complete fresh install of windows, but even then I have been able to boot into suse using the UEFI boot menu.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    On UEFI system bootloader is not installed "on HDD" but in a directory on ESP (EFI System Partition). Windows and openSUSE will use different directories so there is normally no problem to have both installed. It is also possible to use separate ESP on hard disk with Linux, but it is not strictly required.
    Yes, but the ESP is on the HDD or SDD, correct? The Wikipedia article defines EFI System Partions as "The EFI system partition (ESP) is a partition on a data storage device (usually a hard disk drive or solid-state drive) that is used by computers adhering to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)." UEFI accesses it, but it lives on the storage device. Am I missing something?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by 3toedsloth View Post
    Hi,

    Yes this will work. I have Windows 10 ssd on my sata1 and openSUSE on sata2 hdd and use grub to boot Windows.

    1. plug in linux hard drive and unplug windows hdd.
    2. install openSUSE on drive. Reboot and check bios - openSUSE should be the only entry in the boot order - continue booting to openSUSE and do updates etc. Shutdown.
    3. plug back in windows drive and boot to openSUSE. Go to yast>boot loader. in one tab it says probe other OS - hit OK and new grub will be generated which will find windows.
    4. There now should be Windows boot option in your grub screen.

    when doing the initial install remember to boot from the device with "UEFI" prefix.
    Thanks for the info. It looks like this shouldn't be too difficult.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on Separate HDD

    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanbreeze View Post
    In answer to your final question yes you can keep secure boot. By the way with Windows service upgrades (at least so far with windows 10) I have not encountered any problem booting into Linux after. That is unless you do a complete fresh install of windows, but even then I have been able to boot into suse using the UEFI boot menu.
    Thanks for the info.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    23,205
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on SeparateHDD

    On Mon 08 May 2017 12:06:01 AM CDT, dontosaw wrote:

    arvidjaar;2822154 Wrote:
    > On UEFI system bootloader is not installed "on HDD" but in a directory
    > on ESP (EFI System Partition). Windows and openSUSE will use different
    > directories so there is normally no problem to have both installed. It
    > is also possible to use separate ESP on hard disk with Linux, but it
    > is not strictly required.


    Yes, but the ESP is on the HDD or SDD, correct? The Wikipedia article
    defines EFI System Partions as "The *EFI system partition* (*ESP*) is a
    'partition' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_%28computing%29) on
    a 'data storage device'
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_storage_device) (usually a 'hard
    disk drive' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive) or
    'solid-state drive' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive))
    that is used by computers adhering to the 'Unified Extensible Firmware
    Interface'
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unifie...ware_Interface)
    (UEFI)." UEFI accesses it, but it lives on the storage device. Am I
    missing something?


    Hi
    You can have multiple ESP's, just need to tell the installer which one
    you want to use, this then get's added to the EFI nvram (BIOS) so it
    knows which disk/partition to use for that operating system....

    See my setup in this thread about the same thing your asking;
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...lating-to-UEFI

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.22.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  9. #9

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on SeparateHDD

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    You can have multiple ESP's, just need to tell the installer which one
    you want to use, this then get's added to the EFI nvram (BIOS) so it
    knows which disk/partition to use for that operating system....

    See my setup in this thread about the same thing your asking;
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...lating-to-UEFI

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.22.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!
    Thanks for the info. So the the boot process starts with code stored in UEFI NVRAM, but GRUB resides on the hdd or ssd?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    23,205
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Dual Booting Leap and Windows 10, Each OS Installed on SeparateHDD

    On Mon 08 May 2017 04:16:01 AM CDT, dontosaw wrote:

    malcolmlewis;2822207 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > You can have multiple ESP's, just need to tell the installer which one
    > you want to use, this then get's added to the EFI nvram (BIOS) so it
    > knows which disk/partition to use for that operating system....
    >
    > See my setup in this thread about the same thing your asking;
    > http://tinyurl.com/lmab8nx
    >


    Thanks for the info. So the the boot process starts with code stored in
    UEFI NVRAM, but GRUB resides on the hdd or ssd?
    Hi
    Yes, this is correct, now you can also get caught out with the system
    hardware and it's UEFI implementation...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.22.2|4.4.62-18.6-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •