Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VNC server on leap 42.2 problems

Default VNC server on leap 42.2 problems

Hi,

I did a fresh install of open leap 42.2 on my intel nuc (had 12.1 before) and tried to enable the vnc remote server. Client is a windows 8.1 machine with either tightvnc or ultravnc (both have same faulty behaviour). I followed the instructions on https://en.opensuse.org/VNC and I can successfully connect to it. Problem now is, no menues pop up when right clicking with the mouse. Also moving the windows leaves traces of the windows so you manually have to refresh in the client. I have kde and kde5 plasma as desktop. On the other hand, just trying x11vnc from command line and reconnecting doesn't show any of those problems. So i suppose the included vnc server is either misconfigured or a bit buggy. Anyone has same problems?

Default Re: VNC server on leap 42.2 problems

Last I experienced, SDDM does not support VNC. Try changing your Display Manager, go in Yast, install KDM, then switch to it, see if that helps.

But, I use Xfce with LightDM on the Server end, and I use VNCServer and VNCViewer, no problems.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Tried that already, same symptoms. Will try to finger more around in it, thx for reply

Okay. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Seems there is also a bug in the Yast2 Remote Administration setup. After enabling it, the services are restartet and system crashes to runlevel 2

Blog Entries

Reviewing the page you're using as a guide,
    It's out of date. It was originally written in 2010, with only a couple very minor edits late last year.
    There are parts that are still relevant, but would need to be weeded out from what isn't.

You should instead follow the openSUSE community docs
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...e/cha.vnc.html

As for your graphics problems,
    I haven't seen that for a long time but when I did experience it, it was due to a very limited/bad network connection and/or a problem on the client side. I can't remember when it was ever a server-side issue(But of course that's only my experience).

So,
    1. Install, start and manage your VNC server using YaST, not how described in your guide.
    2. Test the quality of your network connection.
    3. Modify the graphics parameters on the Server. to decrease load(eg fewer colors, lower resolution) You will need to create a custom configuration according to the instructions at the following link. Note that one of the major changes from years ago to today is that you should not pass graphics parameters in the client connection, it's all managed on the server.
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...ne-time.config
    4. Re-install or use a different VNC client. All VNC clients <should> share a common core, but...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by drsddrde View Post
    Seems there is also a bug in the Yast2 Remote Administration setup. After enabling it, the services are restartet and system crashes to runlevel 2
    Okay, I have seen that on a machine running KDE & SDDM, every time I tried to set up Remote Administration in Yast.

I have not run into that with Xfce & LightDM.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Okay, I have seen that on a machine running KDE & SDDM, every time I tried to set up Remote Administration in Yast.

I have not run into that with Xfce & LightDM.
    Although I don't think it should result in a crash, if you are using KDE, the Display Manager should be changed from SDDM to LightDM.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Well, it's a mess. Tried the Remote Adminsitration with a different window manager, I also get a login screen, but that's it. It logs in and falls back to login screen. I now changed all to gnome and did a x11vnc xinetd script and that seems to work.
    Btw libvnc from xorg doesn't work either when you change the /etc/x11/xorg.conf.d/10-libvnc script. Could bite my ass I upgraded .
    Also tried tumbleweed inbetween, is even worse lol (crashes X and stuff).

Forgot to mention that the libvnc method works fine in a VM running in virtualbox. Seems it is a problem of the intel graphics maybe (tested also various x driver options).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast