Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Kmail sending produces SASL(-4) authentication errir

  1. #1

    Default Kmail sending produces SASL(-4) authentication errir

    I just migrated to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed from Ubuntu. I used Thunderbird in Ubuntu, but wanted to go native KDE in Tumbleweek. Kmail did a great job importing emails and accounts from Tbird. After cleaning up all the little details, I thought everything was working great until I tried to send a message. Kmail returned the following error:

    Failed to transport message. An error occurred during authentication: SASL(-4): no mechanism available: No worthy mechs found

    I have checked the SMTP server settings and all seem fine. I tried using several different accounts with different SMTP servers, all of which require authentication, but nothing worked. I even had Kmail autodetect the server settings, and that seemed to work fine, but still no success. I installed Thunderbird and it works fine. I actually prefer TBird because of its unified inbox, but I want to use the Kcontact system now. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,120
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Kmail sending produces SASL(-4) authentication errir

    Sounds like you've narrowed your problem down to a Kmail configuration.

    Although the following link is very old, the last posting is likely relevant... Verify your Kmail auth settings
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-mechs-308923/

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kmail sending produces SASL(-4) authentication errir

    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Sounds like you've narrowed your problem down to a Kmail configuration.

    Although the following link is very old, the last posting is likely relevant... Verify your Kmail auth settings
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-mechs-308923/

    TSU
    Thank you for the link. I tried everything there but with no success. Thunderbird continues to operate normally, so I'll just stick with it for now. Thank you for taking time to help me.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kmail sending produces SASL(-4) authentication errir

    Quote Originally Posted by tanker_bob View Post
    Thank you for the link. I tried everything there but with no success.
    Are you using GMail by chance?
    Google made some changes recently that broke kmail, should be fixed in 17.04.0. Unfortunately that's still stuck in staging, it may take a while until it hits Tumbleweed...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kmail sending produces SASL(-4) authentication errir

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Are you using GMail by chance?
    Google made some changes recently that broke kmail, should be fixed in 17.04.0. Unfortunately that's still stuck in staging, it may take a while until it hits Tumbleweed...
    Yes, some of the accounts are Gmail, but most are not. The bulk are generic IMAP accounts on commercial servers. None are working. I'm SHOCKED that Google changed an API that broke apps. That's my shocked face.

    Although, Thunderbird still works fine. I will give Kmail 17.04.0 a try when it's released. Thank you for the heads up!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •