Thread: How to run an application program at startup

Default How to run an application program at startup

I have a program named Heyu that I want to run at startup - I am running 13.2 Harlequin, as a workstation.
    Currently, to run Heyu, I connect via Putty, login to my user account, and from the CL, I type 'heyu start'
    I installed Heyu when logged into my user account and ran the install program.

Second question:
    I have a file that contains some linux command (e.g. cd foo, date > /tmp/baz) and I want to run this file on startup.
    Where should I put the file? and what do I need to do to run it on startup.

Thanks
    J

Default Re: How to run an application program at startup

Quote Originally Posted by three_jeeps View Post
    I have a program named Heyu that I want to run at startup - I am running 13.2 Harlequin, as a workstation.
    Currently, to run Heyu, I connect via Putty, login to my user account, and from the CL, I type 'heyu start'
    I installed Heyu when logged into my user account and ran the install program.

Second question:
    I have a file that contains some linux command (e.g. cd foo, date > /tmp/baz) and I want to run this file on startup.
    Where should I put the file? and what do I need to do to run it on startup.

Thanks
    J
    You might begin by unveiling the information about which desktop you are running.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Default AW: How to run an application program at startup

Default Re: How to run an application program at startup

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    You might begin by unveiling the information about which desktop you are running.
    Well, I can't see how that is important given that I hardly ever use the desk top (do everything from the CL via putty), and what I want to do should be (I believe) is not related to the desk top. The only thing I can think of is that it might have something to do with the run levels.

In any event... echo $DESKTOP_SESSION produces an empty line.

A process list shows a number of processes that begin with kde... so I'll assume KDE...

If you know of a infallible way to get the desktop information, please let me know. In attempting to get this kind of info years ago lead me to the conclusion there is no 'good way'....
    I put the startup lines that I want to execute in /etc/init.d/boot.local (which has protection of 744) but my program of interest did not start...

boot.local contains:
    # /etc/init.d/boot.local
    #
    # script with local commands to be executed from init on system startup
    #
    # Here you should add things, that should happen directly after booting
    # before we're going to the first run level.
    #
    #!/bin/bash
    /usr/bin/date > /tmp/rctest2
    /usr/local/bin/heyu start

I thought that perhaps I should put the commands in after.local, but that didn't work, nor did creating a script file in rcS.d.

I am out of ideas....
    J

Default Re: AW: How to run an application program at startup

Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Thanks for the link...but I can't see how this is helpful. It describes launching apps tied to a user session. I want to run the application on boot, and not out of a user login/session. If I misunderstand, please enlighten me.....
    J