Thread: how to full install xfce4-desktop inside kde?

Default how to full install xfce4-desktop inside kde?

Hi
    i want to install xfce4-desktop inside kde
    How to Install the xfce desktop environment on opensuse ?
    Thanks
    Dual-boot openSUSE and win10
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed ; Plasma 5.15.x:" LVM encrypted"
    My Partition: GPT and UEFI system
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

Default Re: how to full install xfce4-desktop inside kde?

Quote Originally Posted by 123thinksuse View Post
    Hi
    Thanks
    ???????????
    They are different desktops and thus not "the one inside the other", but "the one beside the other". Like you have different cars. They stand beside each other (and you can use both of them independent of each other) and not one car inside the other (which probably will make both unusable).

Please explain what you mean with xfce "inside" KDE. What do you want to achieve with this?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    ???????????
    They are different desktops and thus not "the one inside the other", but "the one beside the other". Like you have different cars. They stand beside each other (and you can use both of them independent of each other) and not one car inside the other (which probably will make both unusable).

Please explain what you mean with xfce "inside" KDE. What do you want to achieve with this?
    ohh I'm sorry for mistake
    xfce4 beside kde
    Hp ProBook 450 G1

Hi
    Thanks
    You can do that with YAST -software management - patterns and then select the desktop you want to install. There is a problem though you will be creating desktops with a mix of kde and xfce applications.

This area seems like a half done job to me. Assuming that you are using the SDDM login manager which I assume is the default for leap 42.2 you will gain an extra input at log in on the lower left corner of the screen that allows any desktop that has been installed to be selected. KDE will be the system default as you currently have that installed. SDDM will change the display management software to suite the desktop that a user logs in to so that aspect is as it should be. It will also load a different start button menu for each desktop and can run different batch files / shell scripts for each one.

Then comes the problem, the way the applications are added to the start button menu's. The menu's just contain categories - office, multimedia, utillities etc and all of the applications are stored in one place so all get entries in each desktop's menu. The main difference between the desktops is just the number of categories they have.

What some one can do then is edit each menu so that only the correct applications are shown. I haven't tried that yet but it should work. Were things may get a bit more difficult is in the area of back ground services. Eg KDE installs with the wicked network manager active. Others may be intended to run with network manager. KDE uses baloo for file cataloguing, gnome something else. A simpler desktop may be intended to use neither or one of them if certain applications are installed. Correcting this sort of thing if it happens will mean work on shell scripts.

What I have done but not finished due to the need to do other things is to create another user purely for the extra desktop. In my case I called the user lxde. You can see why if you search isolating desktops on here. In the last post I linked to some documentation however I am not entirely sure it offers any advantage yet over a user just logging into different desktops. One thing it does though which I suspect is bound to be a good idea is completely separate a number of user settings relating to the desktop which ever one it is. This may allow each user to have entirely different menu's as well but going on documentation it can only be used to extend the scope of some users categories.

Alternatives - add another desktop to the boot up menu - I don't think that the install dvd allows that. Some one hopefully will correct me if I am wrong. It could do though. Or install a VM such as virtual box and install the additional desktops in that. That doesn't produce the same results as a normal install though. It's more suitable for say someone who runs windows also having Linux applications on their desktop, or the other way round.

Then there seems to be another type of set up who's name escapes me. What that would entail given my very limited understanding at the moment is installing it, then I assume linux and then what ever on top of that so that they are entirely separate. From what I have seen so far though I am not at all sure that this is usable for desktops and SDDM seems to go a long way towards what is needed just leaving the applications problem.

I am of course assuming sddm does do what it appears to do correctly. It's relatively new and probably still subject to change.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

ohh I'm sorry for mistake
    xfce4 beside kde
    Install it using YaST using the Patterns View.

A user can then choose which DE to use from his login screen.
    Mark that the current default GUI login screen when you installed KDE earlier is SDDM, that has the choose possibility hidden somewhere lower-left.

You might want to (install and) use a different display manager (like kdm or lightdm) instead.
    Henk van Velden

@ajohnw
    OK
    Thanks for the tips Full

I wanted to test xfce
    KDE is a powerful desktop and personalize high (the best choice)
    Thank all
    Hp ProBook 450 G1