Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

Smile How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

I am new to this forum, but i have used opensuse for sometime, just like other distros i would like to download and install specific linux kernal headers and source in opensuse.

The basis of question is i got kernel 4.4.49-16-default, when i running following zypper command

# zypper install -t pattern devel_C_C++ devel_kernel

it installs the latest kernal headers and sources, not the one i got installed. I found this out by openning yast and checking kernel_devel pattern and its installed the patterns for the latest kernal 4.4.57-standard.

kindly solve this matter as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Muhammad ALi

Default Re: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

Quote Originally Posted by plansuse View Post
    kindly solve this matter as soon as possible.
    Kindly reboot your computer and it will activate the newest kernel so the sources and kernel version will match.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Smile Re: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Kindly reboot your computer and it will activate the newest kernel so the sources and kernel version will match.
    thanks for quick reply

if i want to stick with the default kernel, then what will be solution.

and specifically kindly tell me how to download and install specfic kernel headers and sources. pls

thanks
    Muhammad Ali

Default Re: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

You shouldn't because the updated kernels contain extremely important security fixes - also the new kernel has already been installed on your system, it simply hasn't been activated until you reboot.
    .: miuku #suse @ irc.freenode.net
    :: miuku@opensuse.org

.: h​ttps://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Miuku/

Smile Re: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

thanks for quick reply

and specifically kindly tell me how to download and install specfic kernel headers and sources. pls

thanks
    Muhammad Ali
    thanks for the advices about latest kernel is & will be better but this is not the answer to my question, kindly do not take me wrong.

Question: Just tell me is there any way i can install or download specific kernel & headers from zypper or yast pls?

Pls if do not understand the question then do not reply, let others to reply pls.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    You shouldn't because the updated kernels contain extremely important security fixes - also the new kernel has already been installed on your system, it simply hasn't been activated until you reboot.
    thanks for the advices about latest kernel is & will be better but this is not the answer to my question, kindly do not take me wrong.

Question: Just tell me is there any way i can install or download specific kernel & headers from zypper or yast pls?

Pls if do not understand the question then do not reply, let others to reply pls.

Default AW: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

Open Yast---Software, type in the search field "kernel" without qoutes, mark kernel-default-devel, go to the Version Tab and mark your Version.

For Konsole:
    Code:
    zypper in kernel-default-devel-(version)
    Replace Version with the Version you want to install and see by typing:
    Code:
    zypper se -s Kernel-default-devel

Smile Re: AW: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Open Yast---Software, type in the search field "kernel" without qoutes, mark kernel-default-devel, go to the Version Tab and mark your Version.

For Konsole:
    Code:
    Code:
    Thank you very much for the answer, I am trying this out and will share its results soon.

appreciating your response.

Thanks

Muhammad Ali

Smile Re: AW: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post

For Konsole:
    Code:
    Code:
    yast solution:-

I did the search for kernel in yast, but did not found "kernel-default-devel" package, kindly help in this regard.

zypper solution:-

checked the installed version of kernel through yast and run the following command as instructed.

# zypper in kernel-default-devel-4.4.49-16.1

and yes the zypper installed the respective devel packages. also run the command

# zypper se -s Kernel-default-devel

and yes the respective packages are installed.

At this point my query is closed but just for information.

How can i see the packages installed above throught zypper in yast gui?

Since i got kernel-devel packages is there any need for installing pattern devel-kernel? or pattern devel-kernel is some thing different?

Is pattern devel_C_C++ is linked to pattern devel-kernel ?

Thanks Mr Sauerland for the help.
    Muhammad Ali

Default AW: How to download & install speciifc kernel version header & source from zypper or yast?

I did the search for kernel in yast, but did not found "kernel-default-devel" package, kindly help in this regard
    Its there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast