No Longer Symlink: "/etc/products.d/baseproduct"

Hi,

I have a OpenSUSE 42.1 system that is registered with my SUSE Manager server and subscribed to 42.1 channels. To try and upgrade to 42.2, I did the following:

1. Subscribed the system to 42.2 base & child channels for updates and patches.
  2. Ran zypper dist-upgrade --no-recommends to upgrade to the 42.2 level.
  3. Verified that ‘/etc/os-release’ now reports it’s at 42.2.
  4. Rebooted the system.

After rebooting, anytime I’d try to use zypper for anything, it would try to refresh the spacewalk service as usual, but would throw the following exception and bomb out:

Traceback (most recent call last): 
 File "/usr/lib/zypp/plugins/urlresolver/spacewalk", line 48, in RESOLVEURL self.doRESOLVEURL(headers, body) 
 File "/usr/lib/zypp/plugins/urlresolver/spacewalk", line 96, in  doRESOLVEURL login_info = up2dateAuth.getLoginInfo(timeout=timeout) 
 File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateAuth.py", line 246, in getLoginInfo login(timeout=timeout) 
 File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateAuth.py", line 211, in login maybeUpdateVersion() 
 File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateAuth.py", line 55, in maybeUpdateVersion systemVer = up2dateUtils.getVersion() 
 File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py", line 87,  in getVersion os_release, version, release = _getOSVersionAndRelease() 
 File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py", line 54,  in _getOSVersionAndRelease bp =  os.path.abspath(os.path.join(os.path.dirname(baseproduct),  os.readlink(baseproduct))) OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument:  '/etc/products.d/baseproduct' 

The problem is that somehow ‘/etc/products.d/baseproduct’ is no longer a symlink to ‘/etc/products.d/openSUSE.prod’, but a stand-alone file. This causes the ‘os.readlink’ in ‘/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py’ (provided by ‘rhn-client-tools’ package) to throw an exception.

If you manually create the link, everything appears to start working with zypper.

That file was a symlink before the dist-upgrade, what I’m trying to find out is why it would become a stand-alone file, rather than a simple symlink to the ‘openSUSE.prod’ product file?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please let me know if any further information can be provided to assist. I’ll keep digging in the meantime.

Although you’re posting about an openSUSE product, your problem appears to be specific to your updating process which is through SUSE Manager, so you should be posting in the SUSE Forums, not here.

TSU

Ah, my apologies. I will post in that forum.

Would a mod delete this thread please?

This thread is CLOSED.

To the OP, you better first try to find out what operating system you have. I doubt it is any version of openSUSE at all.