Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Analogue sound chip is not seen by anything but yast2

Default Analogue sound chip is not seen by anything but yast2

Hello! I come to you all today with an interesting problem. I actually just finished dealing with another problem, and I'm not sure if this one is related or not. The last problem, just in case it matters, was resolved by reinstalling Opensuse without touching my home partition.

Anyway, they're probably not related, so on to the current problem.
    I have two sound chips in my machine: One on my video card (hooked up to my monitors) that I won't be using, and one on my motherboard that I will. Originally, both chips were seen just fine. I did not get sound quite right though, so I went into Amarok and messed around with settings there. It turned out that if I did Configure Amarok>ConfigurePhonon>Audio Hardware Setup I could specify "built-in audio" and hear the test sound just fine. But I still could not hear Amarok's playback sound. So I restarted amarok and restarted Configure Phonon, and the settings had reverted. So I went into systemsettings5 and pavucontrol, and tried various settings there. I honestly don't remember exactly what I did in there, but it didn't work. So I went to yast2, then found that both of my sound chips were "unconfigured." set them both up to the default configuration, labeled the onboard audio as default. Also removed power-saving. Then I went back to pavucontrol and phonon and systemsettings (whose sound settings are phonon's settings, it turns out.) and saw that in there were no device listed, and pavucontrol was streaming to a "dummy output."

I have also installed the packman and libdvdcss repositories and installed packages suggested by the multimedia guide to Leap 42.2. Some of them could not be installed, those were related to VLC, which I do not use. All of the audio ones I allowed it to switch over to the packman repository.

I have just removed the configurations from yast, and have not seen a difference in things like pavucontrol. I also feel it's worth mentioning that alsa-info.sh is not on my machine, but alsamixer and such are.
    It's conceivable that I have a bad installation of ALSA, and it's conceivable that I messed something up with Yast. It's even conceivable (at least to my inexperienced linux mind) that some config in the home directory has messed it up from my previous install.

I just removed my pulse audio configs and restarted my machine in case the YAST settings needed that. My machine again sees my GPU's sound chip, but that's useless to me unless I can somehow pipe that through to an analogue port. I'm going to keep researching things and keep plugging away at this, but if anyone has ideas or suggestions, I'd be grateful.
    Thanks!
    --Henry Wilson
    P.S. I'm sorry not to include readouts from audio debug scripts, but I don't know which ones to use. Ask for one and I will provide it!

Default Re: Analogue sound chip is not seen by anything but yast2

Hm. I can't run
    Code:
    rcalsasound restart
    as any user. Command not found. CNF doesn't give me any ideas what I might be missing.

Well, I got my analogue audio working by following the advice in https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Intel-HDA_sound_problems and restarting my computer instead of using rcalsasound. Now I have to go get Amarok working, and I'll be golden. Ideas are still welcome, but I'm close to patching this up acceptably well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amlypygid View Post
    Hm. I can't run
    Code:
    rcalsasound restart
    as any user. Command not found. CNF doesn't give me any ideas what I might be missing.
    Use the systemd command...
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart alsasound.service

Thanks again, Deano. This works, and will be very useful, as I have just lost my analogue audio again after a restart. I never did figure out the amarok issue either.

Blog Entries

Thanks again, Deano. This works, and will be very useful, as I have just lost my analogue audio again after a restart.
    Glad to have been of help.

I never did figure out the amarok issue either.
    When you play a sound file (eg some music), open pavucontrol and observe the playback tab. Amarok should then show as a playback stream, and the sound level meter should be active. Anything unintentionally muted?

While you have media playing, you can examine the PulseAudio stream from a terminal with
    Code:
    pactl list sink-inputs
    For example, while playing some sample music with Amarok I get...
    Code:
    dean@linux-kgxs:~> pactl list sink-inputs
    Sink Input #40
            Driver: protocol-native.c
            Owner Module: 12
            Client: 54
            Sink: 0
            Sample Specification: float32le 2ch 44100Hz
            Channel Map: front-left,front-right
            Format: pcm, format.sample_format = "\"float32le\""  format.channels = "2"  format.rate = "44100"  format.channel_map = "\"front-left,front-right\""
            Corked: no
            Mute: no
            Volume: front-left: 52428 /  80% / -5.81 dB,   front-right: 52428 /  80% / -5.81 dB
                    balance 0.00
            Buffer Latency: 109954 usec
            Sink Latency: 100172 usec
            Resample method: speex-float-1
            Properties:
                    phonon.streamid = "{d6219859-1d76-4277-8326-24563a25c4e3}"
                    media.role = "music"
                    media.name = "'Art Of Nations (Amarok Theme)' by 'allMeadow & Rob Costlow'"
                    application.name = "Amarok"
                    native-protocol.peer = "UNIX socket client"
                    native-protocol.version = "31"
                    application.version = "2.8.0"
                    application.icon_name = "amarok"
                    application.process.id = "24767"
                    application.process.user = "dean"
                    application.process.host = "linux-kgxs"
                    application.process.binary = "amarok"
                    application.language = "en_GB.UTF-8"
                    window.x11.display = ":0"
                    application.process.machine_id = "a0848146a8854c519ce698d28901e824"
                    application.process.session_id = "1"
                    module-stream-restore.id = "sink-input-by-media-role:music"
                    media.title = "Art Of Nations (Amarok Theme)"
                    media.artist = "allMeadow & Rob Costlow"

Well, I've got my analogue chip working. Amarok, however, does not show up as an audio stream in pulse.
    Code:
    pactl list sink-inputs
    will show things like youtube in chrome, but amarok does not appear in its list. I can hear youtube, cannot hear Amarok. This led me to believe there was something very wrong with my installation of Amarok, so I reinstalled it. However, once I launched it again, it threw an error telling me to go to the source directory, uninstall it, and recompile it with different flags. I installed it with Zypper, mind. I'm a little worried by this, but at the same time, you've helped me get closer to the problem. Thanks again, Deano! I'll see what I can figure out and get back to the thread.

Blog Entries

Yes, I agree the problem is with the application itself. I've got to ask why are you trying to compile it from source? Install it from the openSUSE OSS repo with
    Code:
    zypper in amarok
    It should then just work (as it does for me).

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.
    Code:
    zypper in amarok
    is precisely what I did, and when I start it, it throws that error. Which is what I find odd.
    Except after I wrote that last sentence, I tried it again, and it did launch, but still does not appear as an audio stream. And, when I say "configure phonon" it does not see the now-otherwise-working "built-in audio."
    I have installed Audacious, and it works, but it seems much less useful. Plus I'm curious what's going on with Amarok. Could it be that there is a bad config file in my home partition that could be deleted?

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear.
    Code:
    zypper in amarok
    is precisely what I did, and when I start it, it throws that error. Which is what I find odd.
    Could it be that there is a bad config file in my home partition that could be deleted?
    The Amarok config files are located in the ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/ and ~/kde4/share/config/ directories. You could delete these with
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/
    Code:
    rm -f ~/kde4/share/config/amarokrc
    They will get recreated the next time Amarok is started.

And, when I say "configure phonon" it does not see the now-otherwise-working "built-in audio."
    That is strange. When you configure Phonon via Amaraok, check that the GStreamer backend is selected, and that under the 'Audio Hardware Setup' the ' Hardware' and 'Device Configuration' is configured appropriately.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast