Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Chrome using up all of a resource after update

  1. #1

    Default Chrome using up all of a resource after update

    A couple of days ago, I applied all updates to my computer (Leap 42.2). This included an update to google chrome

    old: google-chrome-stable-56.0.2924.87-1
    new: google-chrome-stable-57.0.2987.133-1

    I rebooted after updates, and I logged in. When I started up chrome, my shells would start failing... any command produced the following:

    fork failed: resource temporarily unavailable
    __vte_osc7:1: fork failed: resource temporarily unavailable

    I ended up rebooting a few more times and waiting to start up chrome until everything else was up and running, and I finally got everything up. Unfortunately, the problem is not resolved, and periodically when I go to some URL (it varies... there's no one reproducible URL that I can provide), the page doesn't load, and if I try to run something in one of my shells, I get the same error in my shells. If I kill the tab that's not loading, the resource is free'd up and everything is fine (and I can even reload that same URL and have it work).

    In my sylog messages, I see:

    2017-04-13T11:15:51.735871-04:00 heather kernel: [174896.234824] traps:
    chrome[25851] trap invalid opcode ip:55c6c1625c32 sp:7ffd0bab3f90
    error:0 in chrome[55c6bd6fd000+6aa5000]traps:

    2017-04-13T11:15:56.177062-04:00 heather systemd-coredump[25855]:
    Process 25851 (chrome) of user 1000 dumped core.

    (dmesg has the same, but no additional, information).

    I haven't yet posted anything to a chrome forum, so I may be better off pursuing this from a chrome angle than an openSuSE angle, but I'd like to get a little more information about this.

    I can't locate the core files, so I can't see exactly where chrome failed.

    Can anyone give me some hints as to what I need to do to diagnose this? Anyone seen it before?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Viçosa, Brasil
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Chrome using up all of a resource after update

    I'm using Leap 42.2 and the Chrome in my computer is in the same version (57.0.2987.133), but I didn't had any problems.


    Are you using unofficial repository? Try remove the Chrome and the repo (I think that the Chrome add an repo); update teh system and reinstall from the offical website.
    --
    Biostatistics and Data Science
    https://bio-data.github.io/

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chrome using up all of a resource after update

    Thanks for your reply.

    I am using the official google repo, so I don't believe that's the problem.

    Also, after a lot more looking, I don't know that chrome is the CAUSE of the problem. I found a copy of the older chrome (56) and installed it and it gives the same errors.

    So apparently some other package that got updated caused the problem (though chrome is so far the only thing that has shown the problem). I'm trying to determine what I need to reinstall/downgrade... but it's not at all obvious to me. I'm hoping I'm not in for a complete reinstall... but I may be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,700

    Default Re: Chrome using up all of a resource after update

    If using BTRFS and snapper you can go back to an earlier snapshot at the boot screen

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Viçosa, Brasil
    Posts
    263

    Default Re: Chrome using up all of a resource after update

    So, take a look in the repos that you are using.
    --
    Biostatistics and Data Science
    https://bio-data.github.io/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •