Thread: nethogs and jnettop: segmentation fault

Default nethogs and jnettop: segmentation fault

Hi all,
    today I was trying to diagnose a unexpected sudden surge in network activity, so I tried to use nethogs, but it crashed with a segmentation fault.
    So I tried to use jnettop, but it crashed with a segmentation fault, too.

Let alone jnettop, which is not an "official" package, nethogs comes from the download.opensuse.org-oss repository and so I would not expect it to crash.

Any hint?
    If you need more details I'll be happy to provide them.

Thank you in advance.

Cris

Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Blog Entries

Default Re: nethogs and jnettop: segmentation fault

On my TW, jnnettop packages don't exist.

After doing a "dup,"
    Searching in the OSS doesn't return the package.

Then, I took a look at the following which is really messed up... It installs the "server:monitoring" repo, but also a dependency from the "Factory:ARM" repo, and of course I don't want anything from that repo on my x86 machine. Re-inspecting what is in the "server:monitoring" repo, there is only a source package for jnettop, not the application itself (is it intended to be built on the fly when installed?).
    https://software.opensuse.org/packag...h_term=jnettop

The traditional tools which only collect data for later analysis (not typically viewable in real time) are
    tcpdump
    wireshark

To view in network traffic in real time with a graphical app, I highly recommend etherape.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Hi tsu2, thank you for your reply.
    Yes, jnettop is not an official package (meaning it doesn't come from one of the official tumbleweed repositories). I got it from this address.
    That is why I am not really concerned with jnettop.

On the other hand, nethogs *is* an official package so I would not expect it to crash with a segmentation fault.

BTW, thank you for pointing me to etherape, I'll check it ASAP.

Cris
    Desktop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 16Gb RAM, 120GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD
    Laptop: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (x86_64) - Thinkpad T440 - Intel i5-4210U, 12Gb RAM, 250GB Samsung EVO 750 SSD

Others are reporting problems with various ncurses-based programs on the opensuse-factory mailing list.

It seems there is a problem with ncurses on TW:
    https://bugzilla.suse.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1034810

Cris