Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual monitor setup icon problem

Default Dual monitor setup icon problem

My first post and in advance thanks for all of the knowledge and expertise here. I am a returning OpenSuse user. I just built a second machine, Asus Tuf Z270 motherboard with twin Benq monitors. Graphics solution NVidia 730. Leap is running dual boot with Windows 10, each on separate spinning drives. After resolving the Legacy Bios/UEFI question, installation was problem free.

Left monitor is the primary monitor and where I want the icons. I moved my home folder here from another computer with another linux distro by plugging the drive from the other computer in, mounting it and dragging and dropping folders to the Suse desktop. While doing this I had the right hand non primary monitor covered up with a couple of instances of Dolphin. I dragged the folders from the drive to the desktop, left monitor for further organization. I discovered that there were duplicate icons on the right hand monitor. If I try to for example, move the icons to the trash, it moves the folder from the right hand monitor to the garbage as well. the monitors are set up as an extended desktop, not mirroring--they were set up that way when I moved the folders over from the other hard drive.

Any suggestions about how to do away with the duplicate icons would be appreciated.

I have been through a lot of settings and so far dont find anything that might help.

Regards and again thanks
    Expat

Default AW: Dual monitor setup icon problem

Please post:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -EiA3 'vga|3d|display'

Default Re: AW: Dual monitor setup icon problem

Hi Sauerland

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Please post:
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -EiA3 'vga|3d|display'

The result was this-

linux-5rnm:~ # /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep -EiA3 'vga|3d|display
    >

basically nothing, and the terminal did not return to the prompt.

Thank you very much for your kind interest. Please note that I installed the NVidia drivers as part of building the system rather than using the default driver from Suse.

Regards

Default Re: Dual monitor setup icon problem

inux-5rnm:~ # lspci -nnk | grep -EiA3 'vga|3d|display'
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 730] [10de:1287] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8589]
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia_drm, nvidia
    linux-5rnm:~ #

is the console output. I checked in Settings/Displays and the settings seem to be correct-both monitors are present, set for non unified output. The behavior is strange in that if I create a folder it is created on both monitors and if deleted it disappears from both monitors as though they were in mirrored mode rather than an extended desktop. I have this configured with the left monitor as the primary desktop with the taskbar, launcher and clock display only on the left monitor. It is possible to drag windows between the primary- left monitor and the secondary or right monitor as in an extended desktop. It is possible to have one window open on the primary monitor with another on the secondary monitor and the desktop behaves as one would expect an extended desktop to behave instead of two mirrored monitors. When creating folders or any other desktop object --like creating a Libre office document and saving it to the desktop it appears on both monitors and one can not be deleted without the other also disappearing. In the NVidia XServer settings it is reminiscent of years ago when Nvidia first launched this tool and it could create a disconnect between how the X Server WAS configured and how the NVidia tool THOUGHT it configured and now seems no better. I launched the tool and both monitors are seen as X Screen 0. To enable an extended desktop one had to enable Xinerama and it appears that way now --- I created a new X Screen, now have X Screen 0 and X Screen 1 with Xinerama enabled. I attempt to write the configuration to x.conf and it of course refused because I started the tool without root privs. So fine. Go to terminal super usr mode, put in the password and execute the NVidia tool from there. Configure the second X screen and Xinerama enabled and then attempt to save the settings to X Server and it cant find the X server configuration file. So that is where I am now.

I came here from Ubuntu 16.10 LTS because I was tired of Canonical doing more and more of what I thought FOSS was NOT about, various things with snapd that seemed invasive and incorrect to me ........with tracker daemons that indexed the hard drives at startup for the Ubuntu store.....the only way to know about it was to sudo iotop when the drives seemed to be grinding excessively........ about machine search terms supposedly sent different places-I never Wiresharked to see if this was true only an article from Richard Stallman. These days having dual monitors in an extended desktop is pretty simple compared to 5 or 10 years ago but this seems a little excessive to me at this point. I loathe Windows 10 and am forced to use it for work. My digital life as it were is on Linux.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Expat

OK. Mark this problem solved. I found several things interesting, one the X11/Xconf doesnt exist any longer in Leap. Further exploration showed that when right clicking on either monitor and clicking "Configure Desktop", the settings were specific to that monitor only. Under "Configure Desktop" the third icon down on the left of the window is "Location", I clicked " show files linked to current activity" and both monitors went blank. After messing about I elected a forced reboot and when the system came back up, the right monitor icons had disappeared. Additionally when creating a new desktop item, it only appears in the left or primary monitor instead of both. So the problem appears solved.

As far as the last post, the last paragraph of that was a bit of a rant. I like Suse. I am disappointed with Ubuntu which is why I am here....and too many hours in front of the screen today led to a bit of frustration on my part. For that I apologize.

Regards and again thanks for the expertise here

Expat.

Default AW: Dual monitor setup icon problem

Try nvidia-settings instead of kscreen from the systemsettings.....

Greetings,

Whenever I plug in a second monitor to my laptop, the default layout for the desktop is "Folder View" with the Desktop as the default folder. Should you right-click and select "Configure Desktop" on that screen, you can change the settings of that screen. I tend to just leave it as my second screens change and I don't care enough to customize it, currently. When I DO want some specific setup, I usually go for the "Desktop" Layout and throw what widgets I want to have displayed. Alternatively, you can change the folder view to be whatever folder you would like it to be.

Hope that helps,
    -Nathan
    If I am going to be spontaneous, I have to plan for it.

www.CubicleNate.com

In KDE you could use activities to define different desktop setup for different usage

Sauerland
    Try nvidia-settings instead of kscreen from the systemsettings.....

------------------I have tried using the nvidia-settings but it will not write the configuration to wherever the configuration exists in 42.2

futureboy
    Greetings,

Whenever I plug in a second monitor to my laptop, the default layout for the desktop is "Folder View" with the Desktop as the default folder. Should you right-click and select "Configure Desktop" on that screen, you can change the settings of that screen. I tend to just leave it as my second screens change and I don't care enough to customize it, currently. When I DO want some specific setup, I usually go for the "Desktop" Layout and throw what widgets I want to have displayed. Alternatively, you can change the folder view to be whatever folder you would like it to be.

Hope that helps,
    -Nathan
    ---------------------thanks for this. I have discovered what you speak of here by fiddling with settings. It gives a lot of flexibility to what you do with a second or third monitor.......

I cant find where the monitor resolution settings are in the configuration files..... I currently have 2 identical monitors and am wanting to add a third monitor to the system for more real estate. I installed the NVidia video drivers and the Nvidia configuration widget using the recommended installation via Yast. When I plug 2 monitors in to the graphics card using the supplied cables.....42.2 detects both of them and their native resolution. However when I use a longer cable instead of the manufacturer supplied cable to connect one of them to the VGA connector, the resolution on the VGA card changes to 1024x768 rather than the native 1966x768. I have tried running the NVidia configuration utility as root and as a user and it will not write to the config file. Says it does not exist. Even more surprising..... the machine is dual boot with Windows 10 and no matter which cable I am using, Windows 10 still recognizes the monitor at the correct native resolution.

I have looked in /etc/X11/for xorg.lconf but the only thing remotely resembling it is xorg.conf.install and there arent any settings there. Possibly I should start a new thread for this.

Thanks to you all for the interest and replies.

You have to start nvidia-settings as root since the X files require root permissions.

OK now a days there are two place for the x config

in /etc/X11 there lives or could live if you make one a xorg.conf file

But you can also now do the new approved way with individual files representing the old section in xorg.conf they live in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory if present the old xorg.config file takes presidency.

If run as root nvidia-settings wile create a xorg.conf file

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast