No volume feedback and can't change notifications volume.

Hello everybody

I have this problem, I just installed openSuSe 42.2 (KDE) in a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and everything seems to work except for the volume feedback for the volume controls I tried to increase the volume notifications in Configure Desktop -> Multimedia -> Audio Volume -> Notifications but I can’t change the value from 0, if I try then the indicator returns to 0.

And also the left and right test do not work but I do have sound.

Any suggestions for this?

The desktop you installed (KDE ? Gnome ? XFCE ? other ? ) may play a roll here as the mixers that can be used for volume control can be different dependent on the desktop.

The application ‘pavucontrol’ (pulse audio volume control) may give you more control over your computer volume under openSUSE if you install pavucontrol.

If you run in an xterm/konsole (as a regular user with computer connected to the internet) the following diagnostic script, it might give some clues to misconfiguration :

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

select the SHARE/UPLOAD option when running the script, let the script run to completion, and when complete look in the xterm/konsole and it will give you a web address where the information was uploaded. Post here that web address / URL and we will look at it and see if we can spot anything misconfigured.

Thanks for the reply, In my post I said that I have the KDE version and as you told me, here is the diagnostic file

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=294fcc2a2c33c2e50b21355853ab7d8d1b905028

I’m not sure about pavucontrol, I might remember that it causes conflicts with alsamixer isn’t it?

I'm not sure about pavucontrol, I might remember that it causes conflicts with alsamixer isn't it?

What conflicts?

And no.

Ok…So anyway, with pavucontrol will I be able to change the notifications volume from the KDE configure desktop app?

Yes with pavucontrol you can change the volume of any input/output application you want regardless of the desktop. The only thing you need is to be running pulseaudio but that should be on by default.

From the script I note your MacBook Pro has pulse audio installed and running. There is only one alsa sound module loaded which is a snd_hda_intel. The MacBook Pro hardware audio codec is a Cirrus Logic CS4206. Your MacBook Pro supports analog (hw:0,0) and digital audio (hw:0,1), and also HDMI on one of the following (hw:0,3 or hw:0,7 or hw:0,8).

The mixer indicates hour MacBook Pro’s internal (?) speakers have been muted for some reason ? Is that your intent?

**Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -57.50dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -57.50dB] **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Bass Speaker',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -57.50dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -57.50dB] **[off]**

Further digital audio (IEC958) playback is OFF.

**Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0**   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback **[off]**

The dmesg appears ok to me.

I think you should

• unmute your MacBook Pro speaker
  • install pavucontrol and use it to help configure pulse audio - where pulse audio IS running now on your MacBook Pro openSUSE

If you need help in doing the above please advise.

Good luck.

Further you also have automute enabled:

Simple mixer control 'Auto-Mute Mode',0
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Disabled' 'Enabled'
  Item0: 'Enabled'

If that does not remove noise, then you could consider disabling it.

How do I disable Automute? Also, I don’t have mute on my speakers, they have sound but in the test they don’t

Did you enable the sound on your speakers (per my previous post) ?

wrt automute, you should be able to do that using the application ‘alsamixer’.

Alternatively you could also use the command line app ‘amixer’ albeit the syntax is always (for me) a bit tricky to figure out.

Possibly try something like (in an xterm/konsole as a regular user):

amixer -c 0 -- set 'Auto-Mute Mode' Disabled 

I am guessing at the syntax. Please report any syntax errors you may get from that.

Also, wrt the other two speaker settings being muted, likely you could also unmute them with the ‘amixer’ command:

amixer -c 0 -- set 'Speaker' on 60%

and

amixer -c 0 -- set 'Bass Speaker' on 60%

60% was an arbitrary selection by me. Possibly you want it higher or lower. Also, I am not certain if the syntax is “set” or “sset” - so report any syntax errors as I am guessing a bit here.

Sorry for the late response, after use the command

amixer -c 0 -- set 'Speaker' on 60%

The sound was complete gone and as device i had a “Dummy output”… I think that the drivers are not working correctly since I have sound for music, web browsing, but no for the system itself as the diagnostic shows, it appears like if my speakers where mute and that is not the case.

Any other suggestion?

You could try the above with different % settings … ie 100% or 95%.

This does appear to be a bug and you could submit a big report on openSUSE which will get the attention of the SuSE-GmbH packager for openSUSE LEAP, who is also an alsa sound driver developer. Likely they will have this sorted in a week or less. Guidance for bug reports is here: openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE Wiki

If submitting a bug report, attach to the bug report a copy of the script output from the command run in an xterm/konsole as a regular user:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh --no-upload 

… it will be stored in /tmp/… somewhere. Attach that file to the bug report. Likely flag the report as being on the ‘kernel’ . Ensure the bug report is complete and do not bother referencing a forum thread as the openSUSE developers will not read a forum thread.

Another possibility is to try to force a different setting for the Cirrus Logic CS4206 that is in your computer. I note these three possible settings (which could be tried one at a time0:

Cirrus Logic CS4206/4207
========================
  mbp55        MacBook Pro 5,5
  imac27    IMac 27 Inch
  auto        BIOS setup (default)

You could also try both approaches in parallel … (ie submit a bug report and maybe also try the settings).

wrt forcing the setting, if you wish to attempt that approach let me know and I can give you the edit that need to be done to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file to force the model setting.

wrt forcing the setting, if you wish to attempt that approach let me know and I can give you the edit that need to be done to the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file to force the model setting.

I’ll take your word, I’m already reporting this bug and I want to try the other options for my sound card

Check to see if there is a /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file ? If so, to test the model option “mbp55” add the following line to the start of that file:

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba 

You will need to use root permissions to edit the file.

Then after change in place/saved, reboot and test the audio.

That may make things worse, and note the edit can always be removed. If “mbp55” does not help, then try “imac27” in place of mpb55 in the /etc/modprobe.d/50-sound.conf file. Again reboot and test.

Finally, you can try ‘auto’ in place of ‘imac27’. Again reboot and test.

Remove the line if none of this helps.

Just because it does not say mpb92 does not mean this may not work on your macbook.

My guess is your best bet will be a fix via the bug report. Keep an eye out for your being asked to provide information and test. It used to be there was a ‘need info’ flag that you need to clear the flag after providing the information. I assume this still the case.

There is no 50-sound.conf file, how can I create one?

You can use a text editor (with root permissions) and create such a file. Put the line I proposed in that file.

Out of curiousity, what is the bug report number ? (I am curious to track this and learn how the SuSE-GmbH packager investigates this).