Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Default Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Logged in as a user i occasionally use dolphin in superuser-mode (org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop) to move files between various directories (of different users).

Today when i pressed on the org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop icon i (as always) got prompted for my root password but after i had entered it (correctly!) nothing happened. Doing "kdesu dolphin" in a console showed the same behavior and gave the same result. When i entered dolphin in a root-console i got:
    Code:
    # dolphin                                                                                                                                           
    Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.
    My system setup is

openSUSE 42.2
    kernel 4.10.8-2.gea9dcd4-default
    plasma 5.9.4
    frameworks 5.32.0
    Qt 5.8.0
    dolphin 17.03.80

Searching the NET i found this

https://cgit.kde.org/dolphin.git/com...7901e9b417cf89

and

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152150#c7

So is the meaning of his, that from now on dolphin can't be used in superuser-mode anymore?

Regards

susejunky

Blog Entries

Default Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

I'm not having a problem here. This is with vanilla 42.2.

It looks as if you have a newer version of dolphin.

I would not personally be troubled by that change. I never use dolphin as root, except when checking reports such as yours.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    openSUSE 42.2
    kernel 4.10.8-2.gea9dcd4-default
    plasma 5.9.4
    frameworks 5.32.0
    Qt 5.8.0
    dolphin 17.03.80
    On this "out-of-the-box" Leap 42.2 system, the versions are as follows:
    • Dolphin: Version 16.08.2
    • KDE Frameworks 5.26.0
    • Qt 5.6.1
    • plasma5-workspace: 5.8.6-8.1 (LTS)

You seem to be using a KDE Plasma 5 version from the "KDE:" repository.
    In the KDE Menu, the command to launch Dolphin in super-user mode is: dbus-launch dolphin -qwindowtitle "%c" "%u"
    A "normal" Dolphin session is launched with: dolphin %u

Yes, it seems that during February 2017 the Dolphin code was changed to disallow execution as "root".

and

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152150#c7

So is the meaning of his, that from now on dolphin can't be used in superuser-mode anymore?
    On the other hand, none of the Bug Report authors are mentioning HOW they're launching Dolphin -- they're only writing "as root" . . .

Whether or not the "dbus-launch" behaves as one expects has yet to be proved.
    And, no one has reported the result of "SDDM -- login as another user" (possibly as 'root') and launching Dolphin from that KDE session.

Default AW: Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not having a problem here. This is with vanilla 42.2.

It looks as if you have a newer version of dolphin.
    Yes, i do. But that behavior is new (came with the last update i made?).

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I would not personally be troubled by that change. I never use dolphin as root, except when checking reports such as yours.
    Well, i'm certainly not afraid of the command line but on occasions i find GUI-based file managers quite convenient ...

Regards

susejunky

You can no longer use Dolphin as root, even if you are logged in as root in KDE. I was pretty unhappy about it and I think it should be my choice if I want to use Dolphin as root or not, and not a decision of a KDE developer.
    Anyway, Krusader works quiet well for what you want to do, just be careful, you can kill your system rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    ... You seem to be using a KDE Plasma 5 version from the "KDE:" repository.
    Yes.
    ... In the KDE Menu, the command to launch Dolphin in super-user mode is: dbus-launch dolphin -qwindowtitle "%c" "%u"
    Yes, that is how "org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop" works.
    ... And, no one has reported the result of "SDDM -- login as another user" (possibly as 'root') and launching Dolphin from that KDE session.
    I have not tried that one either, but i guess that will not really be different from launching dolphin within a terminal as root.

Regards

susejunky

Quote Originally Posted by swannema View Post
    You can no longer use Dolphin as root, even if you are logged in as root in KDE. I was pretty unhappy about it and I think it should be my choice if I want to use Dolphin as root or not, and not a decision of a KDE developer.
    I share your point of view.
    ... Anyway, Krusader works quiet well for what you want to do, ...
    Well..., dolphin is my favorite file manager (just a personal choice).
    ... just be careful, you can kill your system rather quickly.
    Yes, working as "root" always requires additional care and attention.

Regards

susejunky

Default Re: AW: Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

I share your point of view.
    Well..., dolphin is my favorite file manager (just a personal choice).
    Yes, working as "root" always requires additional care and attention.

Regards

susejunky
    ...very bad this decision to do not allow to run dolphin as super user , but, on my opensuse leap 42.2, plasma 5.9.4, KDE frameworks 5.32.0, KDE applications 17.03.80, Kernel 4.4.57-18-default, nvidia drivers it seems to works well launching from the kicker searching super and click on file manager - super user mode..
    manythanks, ciao, :-) pier

You might notice that the slogan they once displayed at their website -- "Experience Freedom!" -- is no longer there.

However, they still say this, which to me seems less and less truthfull: "dedicated to creating an open and user-friendly computing experience"

IMHO.

I am certainly not pleased with some of the directions they are taking with the new Plasma 5.

Yes, to me they seem to be getting more & more Apple or Microsoft all the time, dictating to the Users how the Users will do things and taking away the alternate choices.

Except for one choice they cannot take away: I have switched to another desktop, after using KDE as my sole desktop for many years. I now use Xfce, and I am keeping an eye out at other alternatives.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~~~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    You might notice that the slogan they once displayed at their website -- "Experience Freedom!" -- is no longer there.

However, they still say this, which to me seems less and less truthfull: "dedicated to creating an open and user-friendly computing experience"

IMHO.

I am certainly not pleased with some of the directions they are taking with the new Plasma 5.

Yes, to me they seem to be getting more & more Apple or Microsoft all the time, dictating to the Users how the Users will do things and taking away the alternate choices.

Except for one choice they cannot take away: I have switched to another desktop, after using KDE as my sole desktop for many years. I now use Xfce, and I am keeping an eye out at other alternatives.
    I'm a simple user, I don't feel I cannot use dolphin as root "so friendly"....
    ...and the choice you talk about isn't so easy too for a simple user, I know kde, windows, mac, but not xfce...

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast