Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Default Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    very bad , remaining in kde, what can I use to edit files, graphically similar to kwrite, as root??
    You can still browse with dolphin (without root rights) to the folder where the file is located, then open a shell and use the following command (I know some people don't like the usage of sudo in opensuse, but this is actually the help you get when trying to open kwrite as root)

Code:
    SUDO_EDITOR=kwrite sudoedit filename

This works pretty well, you just have to remember that command.

Edit: A bit too slow to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by swannema View Post
    You can still browse with dolphin (without root rights) to the folder where the file is located, then open a shell and use the following command (I know some people don't like the usage of sudo in opensuse, but this is actually the help you get when trying to open kwrite as root)

Code:
    SUDO_EDITOR=kwrite sudoedit filename

This works pretty well, you just have to remember that command.

Edit: A bit too slow to answer.
    manythanks, it works, ....is there a way to have this in the contextual menu??

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    Logged in as a user i occasionally use dolphin in superuser-mode (org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop) to move files between various directories (of different users).

Today when i pressed on the org.kde.dolphinsu.desktop icon i (as always) got prompted for my root password but after i had entered it (correctly!) nothing happened. Doing "kdesu dolphin" in a console showed the same behavior and gave the same result. When i entered dolphin in a root-console i got:
    Code:
    # dolphin                                                                                                                                           
    Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.
    [...]

susejunky
    Even
    Code:
    kdesu dolphin
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by ndc33 View Post
    you can read kde dev talk about kate changes, root edit functionality will be provided by "sudoedit" (was new to me), not the end of the world but they could have provided a smoother workflow.

https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...files-as-root/
    I read everything and the why are clear, but, why don't simply advise of the risks, give the sudoedit solution, but allow to go ahead knowing the risks... ?

Exclamation Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

openSUSE Conference in May: maybe a discussion point?

...as dolphin cannot be used as root, which is the best graphical way to manage files of another non root user from the current different user ???

...as dolphin cannot be used as root, which is the best graphical way to manage files of another non root user from the current different user ???
    Of course by loging in as that user. Either after logout first, or from a new session.
    Every user should manage his/her own files. Only system files should be handled by root.
    Henk van Velden

before the angry mob forms (a non experts casual observations):

i understand some points of view, one of which is user "choice" to run dolphin as root. But I think this is about securing a "system" from a range of attacks, not regards preventing users from shooting themselves in the foot with a single application.

in any case one might expect all desktops to follow suit in the move to wayland? Perhaps KDE with their greater resources are simply moving first.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Of course by loging in as that user. Either after logout first, or from a new session.
    Every user should manage his/her own files. Only system files should be handled by root.
    It should but in many cases it is very annoying, and also it is not always so simple to set the way how linux assign permission of files by default, so I use dolphin as root to change permission or edit other users files when I need... is there a way to use dolphin as another user when I'm logged in??

Blog Entries

is there a way to use dolphin as another user when I'm logged in??
    Code:
    ssh -X otheruser@localhost
    and then run dolphin at the command line of that ssh session.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast