Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Default AW: Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    ... We basically have these KDE repos:
    - KDE:Qt5: that contains the latest stable Qt5 release, and there's KDE:Qt for the latest stable Qt4 release. There are also KDE:Qt5X repos that contain unstable 5.X git snapshots, but I wouldn't recommend to use them.
    - KDE:Frameworks5: the latest KDE Frameworks 5 (KDE's libraries) and Plasma5 packages
    - KDE:Applications: the latest software from the upstream "KDE Applications" releases
    - KDE:Extra: latest versions of other KDE applications (that are not officially part of "KDE Applications" upstream, they have their own, independent release cycle), and also additional packages that are not included in Tumbleweed.
    All of the above are actually development projects for Tumbleweed, their main purpose is to package the latest versions and submit them to Factory/Tumbleweed. Offering them for openSUSE Leap releases is more or less a "bonus".

Then there are also KDE:UnstableXX variants of the latter 3 that contain unstable git snapshots.
    If you'd want to use those, you'd need to combine the unstable ones though, i.e. KUF, KUA, KUE, KDE:Qt58.
    (in case you wonder, these are the abbreviations we use: KUF=KDE:Unstable:Frameworks, KUA=KDE:Unstable:Applications, KUE=KDE:Unstable:Extra, OTOH we normally refer to KDE:Frameworks5 as KF5 and KDE:Applications would be KA... )

Finally, since a few months we also have KDE:Frameworks5:LTS, which is the development project for Leap (42.3 at the moment) and contains the latest Plasma LTS versions (5.8.x currently) and the chosen Frameworks version (5.32.0 now, as that's what we intend to ship in Leap 42.3)

We do have a Wiki page about the things we offer, it doesn't contain *all* details though (actually I just noticed that KDE:Applications has been removed completely there, it used to be mentioned not too long ago IIRC):
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories
    Thank you very much for the detailed explanation and the link!

Regards

susejunky

Default Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No need to apologize here.
    Actually I forgot to add a smiley in my reply...

Oh, and I'm no native english speaker either.
    I'm sure there are times when my wording could be better too, or I may just misunderstand things because of that.

"zypper up" would just not have installed the latest package in KDE:Applications (because of the conflict), and kept the previous one instead.

"zypper dup" OTOH is designed to upgrade the whole distribution to a different version, it isn't really concerned about only doing package updates.
    Simply put, it just installs the highest version of each package that it can find in *any* configured repository. It will also happily *down*grade a package if only lower versions exist or to avoid conflicts.
    Or, to express it differently, it has a different scope. It looks at the installation as whole, and tries to sync it to the current set of repos.
    "zypper up" OTOH, looks at each package separately and tries to update it if there is a newer version in the same repo.

We basically have these KDE repos:
    - KDE:Qt5: that contains the latest stable Qt5 release, and there's KDE:Qt for the latest stable Qt4 release. There are also KDE:Qt5X repos that contain unstable 5.X git snapshots, but I wouldn't recommend to use them.
    - KDE:Frameworks5: the latest KDE Frameworks 5 (KDE's libraries) and Plasma5 packages
    - KDE:Applications: the latest software from the upstream "KDE Applications" releases
    - KDE:Extra: latest versions of other KDE applications (that are not officially part of "KDE Applications" upstream, they have their own, independent release cycle), and also additional packages that are not included in Tumbleweed.
    All of the above are actually development projects for Tumbleweed, their main purpose is to package the latest versions and submit them to Factory/Tumbleweed. Offering them for openSUSE Leap releases is more or less a "bonus".

Then there are also KDE:UnstableXX variants of the latter 3 that contain unstable git snapshots.
    If you'd want to use those, you'd need to combine the unstable ones though, i.e. KUF, KUA, KUE, KDE:Qt58.
    (in case you wonder, these are the abbreviations we use: KUF=KDE:Unstable:Frameworks, KUA=KDE:Unstable:Applications, KUE=KDE:Unstable:Extra, OTOH we normally refer to KDE:Frameworks5 as KF5 and KDE:Applications would be KA... )

Finally, since a few months we also have KDE:Frameworks5:LTS, which is the development project for Leap (42.3 at the moment) and contains the latest Plasma LTS versions (5.8.x currently) and the chosen Frameworks version (5.32.0 now, as that's what we intend to ship in Leap 42.3)

We do have a Wiki page about the things we offer, it doesn't contain *all* details though (actually I just noticed that KDE:Applications has been removed completely there, it used to be mentioned not too long ago IIRC):
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repositories
    Thanks for all the time and effort you have spent in this thread, loaded with valuable information and facts as you normally do, Wolfi. I sincerely appreciate it, especially since I know how busy you are with other things.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Default Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Thanks again Wolfie. I missed the post with details of the reasons for the change some how. Probably cross posted. I sometimes need to break off mid post.

On a frivolous note maybe the proposed solution is the equivalent of asking for a root password when the final action is actually taken. Eg saving a file when the edit has been done. Snap for yast. That way no need to browse as root etc. Why the ? Ubuntu doesn't have a root password. but I suppose the user one would do.

I must admit I have been concerned about malware ever since I started running Linux. I had seen lots of variations on ms,. even some on my own machine. I personally would be happier if any change on my machine not due to me required me to provide a password who ever or where ever the change was coming from. I'd include updates in that as well. There shouldn't be any mechanism for hiding a user on a machine really and if there is one it should be very obvious. That just leaves free software problems (on ms anyway) where if it's useful and not os people are very likely to get something the don't really want or need buried in it somewhere.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516