Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Default Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Beginning to use?

They already used a (web-based) tool for code review when I started to contribute five years ago (and AFAIK they used it for a long time already back then).

The only change now is that the old "reviewboard" is being faded out in favor of phabricator (which is in use by some KDE teams, Plasma e.g., since some time already too).
    It probably helps keep them away from the users. We are all infuriating people who should leave them alone and let them get on with it. Fortunately many of the people that maintain applications aren't like that. Sometimes entirely the opposite in fact. These people do have user orientated goals though. Desktops are a bit different. Would it matter for instance if all of the current newer apps would run on KDE3 desktop - probably not for many people. I do like the way windows fade though as I can read what's behind them.

The kde mailing list is a grave yard compared with what it used to be. It went like that very rapidly when 4 appeared. I understand the dev mailing list is still active but wonder. I asked a pretty simple question on their forum recently and 40 reads and no answers. The earlier forum used to often ***** in response to problems that distro's shouldn't play around with their releases and take them as they come.

I'm not moaning. I realised what I was getting into when I started using Linux. Topsy. I wasn't surprised that Googles summer school off code was used when the changes became more extreme. Linux was rather fringe at the time I started as often people were encouraged to go for distro's that will have bugs. I chose the one that many reckoned was too stable. Since that I have found several good reasons for staying with it.

I am most certainly moaning about this change though. Linux security really is a mute point. Other than on servers it's something of an unknown but has been hacked as it hasn't attracted so much attention as the major os's from the people who do that sort of thing. Unlike ms the distro's don't publish the flaws either. Maybe ms don't now. Some of the ones they have published in the past could be exploited by a 10 year old. Some have been far more subtle. Anyway a recent leak from gov. circles has revealed that they are capable of placing malwear or in real terms anything they like due to that on any OS. Personally I don't think encryption is all that secure really either at that level.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Well, a lot of this thread belongs in General Chitchat (if not in Soapbox). Some essays here are really amusing on a grey day.
    Well ... yes, many posts ago this thread morphed into something that belongs in Soapbox (okay, maybe General Chitchat, but I think Soapbox by now).
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

The problemm is that the beginning of the thread is serious enough. Thus moving it to Soapbox would be inappropriate. Splitting it will also be difficult (where to split, "serious" posts and "soapbox" post alternate).

The only thing I can do is ask the posters here to return to the very subject and refrain from endulging in the past and other off-topics. I expect that everybody here is grown up enough to understand what should go here and what not. When feeling an urge to post Soapbox posts (and get Soapbox answer), please start a thread in Soapbox. You fellow soapbox lovers will follow you without doubt.

The real subject of this thread is important enough not to close it. And the future about the implementation of these extra "security" issues is still not finalised, But when this thread further detoriates in getting off-topic, it will be closed.
    Henk van Velden

Who says that "freedom" is only for the users?
    It must apply to the developers as well IMHO...
    of course freedom is also for the developers :-), and I'm grateful to them for theyr efforts and hard work. but I was talking about "the concept of freedom disappear", as not the contrary, in a free world there is space for non freedom behaviours, so,
    (I love devs work, it's only an example, making the proper correlations, as we are in a "not-face-to-face environment" )
    if I say that to come in my club you cannot have sex if not marryed, you cannot divorce, you must come in my clubhouses every sunday and holyday,
    I'm free to do this, but I cannot say that this is a freedom-respecting proposal that match the "concept of freedom",

So, you are free to use what is offered to you.
    You are *not* free to demand things to be offered to you. Well, you are of course, but nobody is obliged to do it for you.
    I perfectly agree :-) , but as in my example, nobody is obliged to come in my club....

But, in case of opensource and KDE in particular, you are free to download the source code and modify it to your needs...
    And that is what the "freedom" in open source software is about, really.
    ...from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software
    "Free software, freedom-respecting software, or software libre is computer software distributed under terms that allow the software users
    to run the software for any purpose..."
    may be I'm misinterpreting but, if you pass from an also-root-use-dolphin to a non-root-use-dolphin you are loosing a purpose and a freedom
    from the point of view of "concept of freedom" or freedom-respecting, if you would pass from a non-root-use-dolphin to an also-root-use-dolphin I think I can see increase the purpose and the freedom.

...and from https://www.kde.org/index
    "The KDE® Community is a free software community dedicated to creating an open and user-friendly computing experience,
    offering an advanced graphical desktop, a wide variety of applications for communication, work,
    education and entertainment and a platform to easily build new applications upon.
    We have a strong focus on finding innovative solutions to old and new problems, creating a vibrant atmosphere open for experimentation

a non-root-use-dolphin, in my opinion, contrast with "user-friendly computing experience", and with "offering an advanced graphical desktop",
    and with "a wide variety of applications for ... work", and with "We have a strong focus on finding innovative solutions".

but I'm confident about WIP [Work In Progress] and in the dev work
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurisfra
    ...Dolphin currently doesn‘t support manipulating files owned by the root user.
    Many users work-around this limitation by starting Dolphin with root permissions, which is dangerous and broken. The goal of this meta-task is to track whatever is necessary
    to provide a Dolphin implementation that opens a nice Polkit authentication
    dialog whenever a root file/folder needs to be edited or created.
    ...Hoping that Henck
    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv
    ...detoriates in getting off-topic...
    will consider this speaking of freedom an in-topic and not-deteriorating message :-)

manythnx, ciao :-) pier

I'd like to note that this check for running dolphin as root has been *removed* (i.e. patched out) in openSUSE's package meanwhile.

That means that it is possible to run dolphin as root again if using KDE:Applications, and it will continue to be possible in Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed (even after 17.04.0 hits the repos).

Thanks a lot for this information.
    Henk van Velden

Default AW: Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

I'd like to note that this check for running dolphin as root has been *removed* (i.e. patched out) in openSUSE's package meanwhile.

That means that it is possible to run dolphin as root again if using KDE:Applications, and it will continue to be possible in Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed (even after 17.04.0 hits the repos).
    Yes, i can confirm this.

A few days ago i received an "update" that brought me back to dolphin 16.08.02 (which works with root privileges) although the rest of my KDE Applications stayed on 17.04.0. One minor problem i haven't solved yet is that dolphin 16.08.02 now shows a mixed german/english interface and not a pure german one. But i think i can handle this .

Many thanks to all of you for your help!

@hcvv:
    Sorry for causing so much "disturbance" with my thread.

Regards

susejuky

Quote Originally Posted by susejunky View Post
    A few days ago i received an "update" that brought me back to dolphin 16.08.02 (which works with root privileges) although the rest of my KDE Applications stayed on 17.04.0.
    Sigh.
    I wrote a few times already that 16.08.2 (as shipped in Leap 42.2) is *not* (and never was) affected by this, as this is a new "feature" in 17.04.0.

If you installed dolphin 17.04.0 (or 17.03.80) from KDE:Applications (where you apparently got your other KDE Applications from), you will not get 16.08.2 as "update", unless you switch dolphin to the standard version manually.

But as I wrote, the 17.04.0 version now can be started as root again too (in openSUSE), so you probably should just reinstall/upgrade that again.

Your translation issue is probably caused by the fact that the translations are now included in the application packages themselves (since 17.04).
    There are no kde-l10n-xx language packs any more (only some KDE4 stuff is still in there). So as you have dolphin 16.08.2 installed, you don't have any translations for dolphin at all because in 16.08.2 they were still in kde-l10n-xx.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Apr-2017 at 09:46.

I hope a question is in order.

Currently doesn't root use of kde applications still depend on kdesu ? Also I would have thought that many people would still want to be able to log into root in konsole. I assume that will still be possible ? Using dolphin as root usually means that will be inherited when something is right clicked to say edit it.

I'm wondering what will happen if all are blocked as Dolphin was and kdesu removed. That was the only way I could find to launch these from the console logged in as root.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Default AW: Re: Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.

Sigh.
    I wrote a few times already that 16.08.2 (as shipped in Leap 42.2) is *not* (and never was) affected by this, as this is a new "feature" in 17.04.0.

If you installed dolphin 17.04.0 (or 17.03.80) from KDE:Applications (where you apparently got your other KDE Applications from), you will not get 16.08.2 as "update", unless you switch dolphin to the standard version manually.
    Sorry to bother you. My repo setup is (unchanged since many months now):
    Code:
    > zypper lr -upPE
    #  | Alias                             | Name                              | Aktiviert | GPG-Überprüfung | Aktualisierung | Priorität | URI                                                                                            
    ---+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+-----------------+----------------+-----------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     1 | Kernel_stable_openSUSE            | Kernel stable openSUSE            | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   88      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/                             
     2 | openSUSE_42.2_Frameworks5         | openSUSE 42.2 Frameworks5         | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   92      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/                 
     3 | openSUSE_42.2_QT5                 | openSUSE 42.2 QT5                 | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   92      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt5/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/                         
     4 | openSUSE_42.2_KDE_Applications    | openSUSE 42.2 KDE Applications    | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   93      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/KDE_Frameworks5_openSUSE_Leap_42.2/
     5 | openSUSE_42.2_KDE_Extra           | openSUSE 42.2 KDE Extra           | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   93      | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_Leap_42.2/                       
     6 | repo-update                       | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Update         | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   98      | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.2/oss/                                             
     7 | repo-update-non-oss               | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Update-Non-Oss | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   98      | http://download.opensuse.org/update/leap/42.2/non-oss/                                         
     8 | repo-non-oss                      | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Non-Oss        | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   99      | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.2/repo/non-oss/                              
     9 | repo-oss                          | openSUSE-Leap-42.2-Oss            | Ja        | (r ) Ja         | Ja             |   99      | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.2/repo/oss/                                                                                                                                         
    >
    and i always update my system with "zypper dup".

A few days ago i received dolphin 16.08.02. May be i did the update at a time when the repos where "in a funny state" (i can't remember the exact date: 19.04.2017 or 20.04.2017, close to midnight). But nevertheless all of the updates done afterward (last one a few hours ago) did not change anything, still "zypper dup" gives me dolphin 16.08.02.

What am i doing wrong?

... But as I wrote, the 17.04.0 version now can be started as root again too (in openSUSE), so you probably should just reinstall/upgrade that again.
    OK. I will try to install dolphin 17.04.0 from "http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Applications/KDE_Frameworks5_openSUSE_Leap_42.2/" manually.

... Your translation issue is probably caused by the fact that the translations are now included in the application packages themselves (since 17.04).
    There are no kde-l10n-xx language packs any more (only some KDE4 stuff is still in there). So as you have dolphin 16.08.2 installed, you don't have any translations for dolphin at all because in 16.08.2 they were still in kde-l10n-xx.
    Ah, i see. So that should be solved when i install dolphin 17.04.0 manually.

Thank you very much for your patience and please accept my apologies. I'm really sorry to cause you so much troubles.

I use (open)SUSE + KDE for many years (16+) now and i seriously believe in this setup (my personal opinion!). Within the last years i convinced some people to use that setup (many of them "plain users" and some of them now aged 60++). All of them are quite happy (at least i believe so) and i still support them if necessary. But decisions like the one we are discussing here (or the "famous" semantic desktop) are giving me a hard time to keep those people happy openSUSE users. The intention of my "strange" setup is to look ahead so that i can provide "correct" advice to those people when the next release is due. And this forum is one of the few places i found so far that can provide help.

Regards

susejunky

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast