Thread: I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are my best options?

Default I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are my best options?

I need a software that is not present in the repos, it is dupeguru; I can't find it both in the official one (it only has a very old version) nor in packman.

I was wondering what would be my best option to get it. Obviously I can grab the source package provided in its homepage, but this is not the best way IMHO.

This project is also present on github, here.

I was thinking of using OBS to get it, but I'm not entirely sure on how to do it. I have a personal home that, at the moment, I have only used to branch some packages that I regularly use (mainly to avoid using many additional repos in my Tumbleweed installation, and just use my own).

Is it a good choice? I need to know:

1. Being the source on github, will it update automatically to new versions, or the maintaining process has to be done manually?
    2. Is this method a fast one or it will take me days of work to implement it?
    3. What kind of technical knowledge is required to do it? I have a basic knowledge of how OBS work (mainly for the purposes stated above), is it sufficient?
    4. Is there somewhere a simple guide that I can follow to do that, OR, is there someone that is willing to help me?

Summarizing, I need this software, I don't really want to go to its site to grab a new version every time it is available, and while I am at it, if it is something that won't take me an overwhelming amount of work to do it, I'd also like to learn how to use OBS to import external GitHub projects in my installation.

Default Re: I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are my best options?

I do not know the answer, but why didn't you post this in the Development > OpenBuild Servive (OBS) section here? I would assume that yoou chance to find helpers is better there.

When this is an oversight from you and you want it moved, please ask so (double posting is prohibied).
    Henk van Velden

Default AW: I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are my best options?

See the 2 builds of LazyKent, but they build not on Tumbleweed:
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ge=dupeguru-me
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...ge=dupeguru-pe

Maybe you can change the spec for your use.

Default Re: AW: I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are my best options?

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Maybe you can change the spec for your use.
    I took a look at the spec and the latest git of Dupeguru, it's literally unusable as they've gone to using bootstrap, change a bunch of python requirements and so forth.

I'd say just downloading the source and locally building it as per the instructions is the easiest and least painful method.
    sed -i 's/brain/void/g' / ; echo |"/dev/null" > .forward

Default Re: I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are mybest options?

On Sat 01 Apr 2017 01:26:01 PM CDT, sekhemty wrote:

I need a software that is not present in the repos, it is 'dupeguru'
    (https://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/); I can't find it both in the
    official one (it only has a very old version) nor in packman.

I was wondering what would be my best option to get it. Obviously I can
    grab the source package provided in its homepage, but this is not the
    best way IMHO.

This project is also present on github, 'here'
    (https://github.com/hsoft/dupeguru).

I was thinking of using OBS to get it, but I'm not entirely sure on how
    to do it. I have a 'personal home'
    (https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:sekhemty) that, at the
    moment, I have only used to branch some packages that I regularly use
    (mainly to avoid using many additional repos in my Tumbleweed
    installation, and just use my own).

Is it a good choice? I need to know:

- Being the source on github, will it update automatically to new
    versions, or the maintaining process has to be done manually?
    - Is this method a fast one or it will take me days of work to
    implement it?
    - What kind of technical knowledge is required to do it? I have a
    basic knowledge of how OBS work (mainly for the purposes stated
    above), is it sufficient?
    - Is there somewhere a _simple_ guide that I can follow to do that,
    OR, is there someone that is willing to help me?

Summarizing, I need this software, I don't really want to go to its site
    to grab a new version every time it is available, and while I am at it,
    if it is something that won't take me an overwhelming amount of work to
    do it, I'd also like to learn how to use OBS to import external GitHub
    projects in my installation.

Hi
    Both dupeguru-pe and dupeguru-me exist on OBS (Forum user Lazy_Kent),
    maybe send them a PM to update to the newer dupeguru version..

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.38-50-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: I need a software that is not present in the repos; what are my best options?

@hcvv: Yes please, you can move this. It was an oversight for me.

I noticed that the repos have an old version, if doing this ex novo is going to be too much an hassle, I'll try to contact the original maintainer.

Quote Originally Posted by sekhemty View Post
    @hcvv: Yes please, you can move this. It was an oversight for me.
    will be moved and is CLOSED for the moment.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by sekhemty View Post
    I need a software that is not present in the repos, it is dupeguru; I can't find it both in the official one (it only has a very old version) nor in packman.
    Moved from Applications and open again.
    Henk van Velden

I don't know how invested you are in this software, but...

- Scanning the github project Issues, I don't see any reported issues if you build on Linux, although some dependencies might be available only at the Pypi repo (That's the official Python repository). If you're not running on Mac or Windows, the latest probably can build fine.
    - Scannning the list of apps at Pypi for dedupe apps, I count at least 3. Don't know how they compare to dupeguru. You can search the list yourself. Or, you can search for openSUSE apps at https://software.opensuse.org.
    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/?

Since the project owner himself says that he is slowing development to encourage contributions by others, I'd say building from source should be considered... You shouldn't have to worry about a new version any time soon, and if it happens likely should be easy to build again.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I've contacted the maintainer of the old versions, he said that he may look at it but he's busy right now and this is not a priority for him.

Said that, this piece of software is not a matter of life or death for me, of course. I was just trying to understand if packaging something starting from a github project was an easy task or not. I've tried to read the OBS manuals, but they seem to me an insight on how OBS works internally more than an user guide. I also was not able to find some kind of tutorial on the subject.