Thread: KDE Software Updater Applet

Default KDE Software Updater Applet

I find this applet useful, on both LEAP 42.2 and Tumbleweed systems apart from these issues.

1 On my laptops that are not permanently connected to a network, it often tells me that I am offline when I am not. This would be less of a problem if I could configure it to check online status more often, or if I could get it to "refresh" or check again when I tell it to. There appears to be no way to easily configure either of these possibilities.

2 When it tells me I am offline, I can logout and login again, it will then tell me that my system is up to date, even when it is not, presumably because it has its own strange ideas about when it should check.

Even finding its source so I can correct its flawed logic seems surprisingly difficult. I'm sure it's somewhere on the KDE or plasma5 sites.

Are these issues something that SuSE would address, or is this viewed as a KDE problem?

Default Re: KDE Software Updater Applet

Quote Originally Posted by mpaton1 View Post
    Are these issues something that SuSE would address, or is this viewed as a KDE problem?
    Well, the main problem here is that it only displays what PackageKit is reporting as "online status". (it's only a simple frontend to PackageKit)

In openSUSE, PackageKit is not running normally though (and shuts itself down after 15 seconds of inactivity), as it would block YaST and zypper.
    There is work going on to "solve" this and having PackageKit running all the time (not that I would like that personally, I have to say. I find it overkill to have it running all the time just for getting notified of updates once a day... )

But: you probably can just ignore that.
    Despite the network state it displays, the applet should indeed wake up PackageKit every 24 hours and ask it to search for updates (if the system is online then).
    And while it displays "offline" you can force a check manually, there is a button in the popup that appears if you click on the icon.

It is not possible to configure a shorter interval than daily (i.e. every 24 hrs) though, that is an upstream "limitation" (or design decision).

In the workst case you can also use the command line interface:
    Code:
    pkcon get-updates
    This should also refresh the applet.

Or use YaST ("Online Update" or "Software Management") or zypper (patch or up) if you want to check manually on your own schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, the main problem here is that it only displays what PackageKit is reporting as "online status". (it's only a simple frontend to PackageKit)

In openSUSE, PackageKit is not running normally though (and shuts itself down after 15 seconds of inactivity), as it would block YaST and zypper.
    There is work going on to "solve" this and having PackageKit running all the time (not that I would like that personally, I have to say. I find it overkill to have it running all the time just for getting notified of updates once a day... )
    Thanks. I wouldn't like that either.

But: you probably can just ignore that.
    Despite the network state it displays, the applet should indeed wake up PackageKit every 24 hours and ask it to search for updates (if the system is online then).
    And while it displays "offline" you can force a check manually, there is a button in the popup that appears if you click on the icon.
    Not on the version I'm running, or on any version I've used that is part of plasma5. I wish it was correct, I would be perfectly context to ask it to go and check for updates when I am online. But it doesn't work this way, annoyingly. If it's displayed status is "Network is offline", then the "check for updates" button is removed.

It is not possible to configure a shorter interval than daily (i.e. every 24 hrs) though, that is an upstream "limitation" (or design decision).

In the workst case you can also use the command line interface:
    Code:
    pkcon get-updates
    This should also refresh the applet.

Or use YaST ("Online Update" or "Software Management") or zypper (patch or up) if you want to check manually on your own schedule.
    It feels to me that the authors didn't consider its use on systems that are not always connected.

YaST Online Update does not show patches for Tumbleweed, discussed in other threads here. zypper up or dup can be used.

thanks for the tip on pkcon, I'll give that a try.

The applet is even more broken that I thought in its interaction with pkcon.

Having just verified my assertion about the lack of a check for updates button when offline, I went back online, was unable to force a check, so logged out and back in again, and then was told by the applet that my system was up to date. So now I'm still online, I finish my previous post, and I'm looking at the man page for pkcon, and I hover my mouse over the updater button in the notification area, and it thinks its offline.

Quote Originally Posted by mpaton1 View Post
    The applet is even more broken that I thought in its interaction with pkcon.

Having just verified my assertion about the lack of a check for updates button when offline, I went back online, was unable to force a check, so logged out and back in again, and then was told by the applet that my system was up to date. So now I'm still online, I finish my previous post, and I'm looking at the man page for pkcon, and I hover my mouse over the updater button in the notification area, and it thinks its offline.
    Mine shows offline when I hover over it but when I click on check for updates it does just that.. I was on line and there were updates. On that basis it looks like the content of the pop up on hover is a bit silly. It should just say software update to tell people what it does. If some one clicks update and isn't on line it should report that in the main panel or in a pop up such as the one to show that updates are done. It will take a long time for that to pop up, just like the long wait when a browser can't locate an address and an error message pops up. That's what browsers do when the machine isn't connected, I believe doing anything else gets a bit complicated.

Just an observation windows did take rather a long time to detect that the net had been connected on a machine that was already powered up. Probably the same time as booting up but far more apparent. It could be that the only way to be sure it's up is to use it and that brings in the can't connect time out. Linux seems to have a more positive approach. Good.

Personally I would have thought users don't need any more help than they have - if it works correctly. They know when their machine is on line, That just leaves faults and as it's the net an error message will take some time to come up.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

just a note AFAIK the applet will not update tumbleweed correctly (why is it even there?) you should use zypper dup --no-allow-vendor-change