Thread: Preventing plasma search from doing anything

Default Preventing plasma search from doing anything

I've clicked all of the check boxes for plasma search in kde settings - search but each time I log back in they have re activated themselves again. I've also disabled file search as well as on 4 I found that dolphins search wasn't reliable and kfind was quicker anyway. Maybe that is still up and running but the setting is retained.

So how can I disable plasma search?

The reason I looked at the search settings was due to a change in memory usage I noticed while working on something else. It had been a steady 2.2gb and was suddenly getting up to 3.5 plus. In fact I had seen it creep slowly up to that. There have been some updates so I suppose it could be down to that but it's most noticeable when firefox is up and running and in use. Immediate thought caching in memory by some search facility. There are too many of them in my view and what they cache isn't much use to me. I currently have another extra one; parcelight which doesn't function correctly anyway. That probably came from installing lxde and is on the taskbar and wont go away so something else to sort out.

As I see it browsers have history, apps have recent files and even the console has history and that is enough.

Currently usage is 2.46gb probably up do to the upgrades so not entirely sure what causes it to increase so much but auto caching for later searches isn't a bad place to start.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Default Re: Preventing plasma search from doing anything

You do know that FireFox is a huge memory hog?? Are you sure it is search??

Turn search off in Configure Desktop - Search

As I mentioned I did turn the search off but the plasma one turns itself back on when the desktop is logged into. Looks like the settings are not being retained. It's also cataloguing all sorts even content by the look of search results. The file search does retain an off state.

Firefox is using about 350mb which is about right.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    As I mentioned I did turn the search off but the plasma one turns itself back on when the desktop is logged into. Looks like the settings are not being retained. It's also cataloguing all sorts even content by the look of search results. The file search does retain an off state.
    Are you sure you are actually using Plasma5's settings (systemsettings5) to disable it?

KDE4's settings (systemsettings) do not apply to baloo5.

In other words, run "systemsettings5" explicitly in a terminal window or the Alt+F2 krunner dialog and disable it there.

PS:
    What option exactly did you disable where?

"Plasma Search" is totally unrelated to baloo. It is actually the Alt+F2 krunner dialog.
    If you disabled the file search there, you only disabled displaying results from baloo's index, not the file indexing itself.

If you want to disable indexing, do it in Search->File Search.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Mar-2017 at 12:23.

Baloo is off. The problem seems to relate to tracker - or at least that's what it's called itself in memory. As baloo did turn of I can I think assume that so called kde system settings is for kde5. It's the only place I can find the qt version and the kde version. An export is needed to launch kde setting from the console. Done but no point as I was clearly using the right one.

It looks like tracker crawls going on the content of it's folder ~/.cache so is trying to catalogue my entire disk set up. I'm going to try and find it's config file but advice from other sources is to un install it. Not looked as yet to see if that is feasible. It's been pointed out that Qt and KDE have moved on some way since the one leap has. That's fair enough and to be expected but maybe a bug report is the best option.

While baloo was running it managed to generate a 1.8gb index. Compare that with the updatedb index with default settings 36.9mb. As far as I am aware the exclusions would make little difference to the size. On 4 I did have problems with dolphin's search not finding things that I knew were there. Currently on 5 it's crippled and even if it wasn't I don't think the search options would be of much use to me. It looks windozy - everyone is only interested in viideo's and music etc. Then comments like certain things need to be done to make a desktop suitable for real business use. With that sort of search options and from what I have seen performance they must be joking. Windoze does index efficiently.

Tracker? 1gb so far.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    Baloo is off. The problem seems to relate to tracker - or at least that's what it's called itself in memory.
    Well, tracker is GNOME's file indexer, and they seem to want to have it running on *every* desktop, because some GNOME applications depend on it.

See this discussion on the opensuse-factory mailinglist:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00523.html

And especially my reply and the responses:
    http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-f.../msg00528.html

Feel free to file a bug report about it, against GNOME or XFCE (as the latter seems to pull it in).

You can disable tracker in GNOME's settings (gnome-control-center).
    Or you can of course uninstall tracker if you don't intend to use it (as I did).
    And maybe lock it to not have it being installed automatically again.

While baloo was running it managed to generate a 1.8gb index. Compare that with the updatedb index with default settings 36.9mb.
    Baloo stores far more in its index than updatedb does, yes.
    That is on purpose.
    Baloo is intended to be a "full-text" (and even more metadata) search engine.

I don't really want to comment on your Windows references though.
    If you find Windows better, go ahead and use it.

We don't sell anything here, you get all this for free.
    Not to mention that this is a user forum, where users try to help other users.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Mar-2017 at 14:59.

My comment about windows was an observation. Some people have to use it.I don't not at home anyway. - for over 15 years. I get a bit annoyed with the way things go at times on desktops and feel they depart from what many linux users want and seem to make assumptions about what people use their machines for. My way of putting it in this particular area is an obsession with cataloguing things.

On your links I haven't seen any signs of excessive cpu usage only rather odd memory usage patterns noticed by accident really. I posted a link to the opendesktop spec in another post and that states that the show in kde etc should be obeyed but I'm not convinced that this is being used really. There is also a don't show. It does mean show though so may not have any bearing on what is loaded. The category tree is flagged to not show the item. The idea being to allow users to have independent desktop menu's and mixed desktop types but that can't work. The xdg aspect is also a bit weird. The defaults seem to be system wide and user obtained by removing the system ones. User ones over riding would be more useful given the problems. I speed read things like that first not worrying to much about detail to get an over view so maybe I shouldn't comment before I look in detail but I probably am correct.

I was a little confused on this one. I had disabled baloo and noticed that it's plugins were not disabling permanently. I'd unset them and find that they were reset on when I logged back in so put it down to that and also wondered if something had a memory leak. I've no idea how I have picked up tracker. I installed lxde and one xfce app for use on kde called sensor viewer. I also pulled in parcellite another similar item. I assume that came with lxde. It doesn't work on kde but still tracks what's been done. It could be useful in some circumstances if it does what I think it does.

In some ways this all relates to isolating desktops on a single machine. It needs a thou shalt not load anything other than what the desktop user needs rule and also in some cases users will have these things loaded and available and wont be able to load anything else rule. Probably another with some must and will have plus selected ones users can choose for themselves. The disto's don't seem to meet any of these currently really if some one uses a different desktop. I have heard that they are all keen on the static fixed one for business use but in practice that varies especially when there is a server around. People in businesses do different things, more so the bigger they get. There does seem to be some sort of group style facility that may be built in but it looks cumbersome and not very flexible to me. It goes under the name of merged menu's.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

I unistalled it along with any dependencies. All still seems to be ok. I have no idea why it was installed. On my first leap install I did use patterns to install several things selectively from gnome. Didn't like the result of that so re installed leap again. I also removed parcellite. It's stand alone. That one looks useful to me for repeating things that have been done recently or over a period of time dependent on cache size. Can't be sure as it wouldn't function but after clearing some other stuff out I might try it again.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26