Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postgresql Server

Default Re: Postgresql Server

Hendrik,

got the following:

Code:
    :~> systemctl status postgresql.service
     postgresql.service - LSB: Start the PostgreSQL master daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/postgresql; generated; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2017-03-20 21:33:13 EET; 1 day 4h ago
         Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
      Process: 6120 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/postgresql start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Code:
    ~> systemctl start postgresql.service   
    Job for postgresql.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
    See "systemctl status postgresql.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

and status reports were:

Code:
    sudo systemctl status postgresql.service
    [sudo] password for root:  
     postgresql.service - LSB: Start the PostgreSQL master daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/postgresql; generated; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-03-22 01:44:35 EET; 9min ago
         Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
      Process: 31100 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/postgresql start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 22 01:44:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home su[31112]: pam_unix(su-l:session): session opened f
    Mar 22 01:44:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home su[31147]: (to postgres) root on none
    Mar 22 01:44:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home su[31147]: pam_unix(su-l:session): session opened f
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home postgresql[31100]: Starting PostgreSQL 9.6.2 pg_ctl
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home postgresql[31100]: Examine the log output.
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home postgresql[31100]: ..failed
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[1]: postgresql.service: Control process exi
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Start the PostgreS
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[1]: postgresql.service: Unit entered failed
    Mar 22 01:44:35 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[1]: postgresql.service: Failed with result

Code:
    sudo journalctl -xe                      
    -- Subject: Unit UNIT has begun start-up
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
    --  
    -- Unit UNIT has begun starting up.
    Mar 22 02:07:46 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[31563]: Stopped target Paths.
    -- Subject: Unit UNIT has finished shutting down
    --  
    -- Unit UNIT has finished shutting down.
    Mar 22 02:07:46 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[31563]: Received SIGRTMIN+24 from PID 31600 (kill).
    Mar 22 02:07:46 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[31564]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user postgres
    Mar 22 02:07:46 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[1]: Stopped User Manager for UID 26.
    -- Subject: Unit user@26.service has finished shutting down
    --  
    -- Unit user@26.service has finished shutting down.
    Mar 22 02:07:46 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home systemd[1]: Removed slice User Slice of postgres.
    -- Subject: Unit user-26.slice has finished shutting down
    --  
    -- Unit user-26.slice has finished shutting down.
    Mar 22 02:07:46 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home kernel: SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlo1 OUT= MAC=30:e3:7a:88:7e:8a:f4:f5:d8:00:cf:44:08:00 SRC=192.168.10.37 DST=192.168.10.43 LEN=544 TOS=
    Mar 22 02:07:47 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home kernel: SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlo1 OUT= MAC=30:e3:7a:88:7e:8a:f4:f5:d8:00:cf:44:08:00 SRC=192.168.10.37 DST=192.168.10.43 LEN=544 TOS=
    Mar 22 02:07:48 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home kernel: SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlo1 OUT= MAC=30:e3:7a:88:7e:8a:f4:f5:d8:00:cf:44:08:00 SRC=192.168.10.37 DST=192.168.10.43 LEN=544 TOS=
    Mar 22 02:07:49 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home kernel: SFW2-INext-DROP-DEFLT IN=wlo1 OUT= MAC=30:e3:7a:88:7e:8a:f4:f5:d8:00:cf:44:08:00 SRC=192.168.10.37 DST=192.168.10.43 LEN=544 TOS=
    Mar 22 02:08:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31606]:     simo : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/simo ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl status postgresql.service
    Mar 22 02:08:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31606]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by simo(uid=0)
    Mar 22 02:08:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31606]: pam_systemd(sudo:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session
    Mar 22 02:08:34 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31606]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
    Mar 22 02:09:24 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31613]:     simo : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/simo ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/journalctl -xe
    Mar 22 02:09:24 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31613]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by simo(uid=0)
    Mar 22 02:09:24 LAPTOP-5HS2NJ5L.home sudo[31613]: pam_systemd(sudo:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session

I did not make any changes in the file you mentioned.

Blog Entries

Your last posted log suggests that your postgresql service was started successfully, but then intentionally shutdown by an identified thread.

I suspect you did something more than what you described, but what... it might be impossible to troubleshoot. You might try tracing the Pid described, but that thread might have also terminated as soon as it shut down the service.

So,
    As I suggested before... You could try running some kind of trace utility (valgrind?) but at some point you should weigh the prospects of success and the effort you're putting into troubleshooting vs just starting over.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

One more thing to check. Please do a:
    Code:
    ps -ef | grep postgres
    and post the results. An already running instance could prevent the start of another one.

If this does not shed any more light on the situation, I can only support tsu2's recommendation to start over.

Hendrik

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    It's hard to believe that changing a password or creating a database could cause the application service to fail.

IMO it won't be likely that you can remember or know what you did that caused the failure you're experiencing.

I recommend you abandon what you did,
    Install Virtualbox or VMware Player, or KVM
    Create a new openSUSE Guest with PostgreSQL installed and proceed.
    As I described earlier, you can create a "Golden Image" clone of a base install before you do anything experimental, then create a clone from that for your experimentation.
    That way, if/when you do something irrecoverable, you can simply delete and discard your work, make another clone from your Golden Image and try again very quickly.
    Or,
    Working in your openSUSE virtual machine, create a snapshot of your basic install and any major steps thereafter. If you do something irrecoverable, then simply roll back to one of your snapshots.

When you're learning, expect that things will go wrong, but if you prepare well it will only mean a slight pause in your progress.

TSU
    Tsu,

I do rember it: my thick/clumpsy fingers did some b-y trick and the terminal-window I was working in got closed before I exited the psql-terminal, Most likely all my problems started there.
    Tsu, I'hv been looking for a virtualenv from Yast. (Used to use it during my Ubuntu-period,) Found python-virualenv and python-pip. Are those the same?
    I would also have a look at BaseX with Racket. The reason is that Racket should have a rather extensive library for complicated networks simulation., and BaseX looks quite interesting. (SBCL and Clisp with PostgreSQL are other options)- BaseX is not available through Yast, but I assume that it would be pretty safe to install it in virtual environment.
    I appreciate your help!

br Simo

Quote Originally Posted by hendwolt View Post
    One more thing to check. Please do a:
    Code:
    ps -ef | grep postgres
    and post the results. An already running instance could prevent the start of another one.

If this does not shed any more light on the situation, I can only support tsu2's recommendation to start over.

Hendrik
    Thanks Hendrik,

You are right, I mistakely closed the terminal I was working in. However, here is the response:

Code:
     ps -ef | grep postgres
    simo     16596 16566  0 00:26 pts/3    00:00:00 grep --color=auto postgres

I agree, it's better to star from the beginning and as TSU said, I'll build it into a virtualenv,

Simo

Blog Entries

Virtualenv is used to install multiple versions of Python and assign your choice to specific Python applications.

Has nothing to do with PostgeSQL.
    You should be looking at installing maybe Virtualbox, that enables you to create and run an entire virtual machine complete with virtualized hardware and an entire OS.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Virtualenv is used to install multiple versions of Python and assign your choice to specific Python applications.

Has nothing to do with PostgeSQL.
    You should be looking at installing maybe Virtualbox, that enables you to create and run an entire virtual machine complete with virtualized hardware and an entire OS.

TSU
    Tsu, sorry to trouble you again
    I insalled virtualbox in Yast (virtualbox, virtualbox-devel, libvirt-daemon-vbox, ) an made the necessary 'vboxusers' definitions in Yast. After that I opend the VirtualBox konsole (VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.1.18_SUSE r114002) and created an openSUSE VM on my hard drive. When trying to start the VM I get the error message

Code:
    Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
    The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
    '/sbin/vboxconfig'
    as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
    But the /sbin/vboxconfig file does not exists, After searching the web for a solution

Code:
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:VirtualBox_Installation
    I installed kernel-devel in Yast. However, when trying to execute (after relogin) the setup command I get

Code:
    # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup       
    vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.                                                                                             
    vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.                                                                                             
    vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

Of the really long dmesg file I do not understand anything.

What the heck have I done wrong?

Simo

PS. I tried to remove PostgreSQL installation from my hard drive and clean everything, reinstall it, but did not get it working.

Blog Entries

The first step always for troubleshooting a systemd service/app is to invoke its "status" like the following, which will return plenty of useful information including a hopefully relevant snippet from the logfile
    Code:
    systemctl status vbox.service
    You should also list all the available packages to your system related to virtualbox, and consider which are or are not installed
    Code:
    zypper se virtualbox
    You may find other useful postings others have made in the Virtualization forum (which generally is more appropriate for Virtualbox specific info)

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

The first step always for troubleshooting a systemd service/app is to invoke its "status" like the following, which will return plenty of useful information including a hopefully relevant snippet from the logfile
    Code:
    You should also list all the available packages to your system related to virtualbox, and consider which are or are not installed
    Code:
    zypper se virtualbox
    You may find other useful postings others have made in the Virtualization forum (which generally is more appropriate for Virtualbox specific info)

TSU
    Thanks,

I'll go and check the other forums.
    Here you have response to your questions:

Code:
    Unit vbox.service could not be found.

Code:
    sudo zypper se virtualbox
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S | Name                           | Summary                                                     | Type        
    --+--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------+------------
      | RemoteBox: VirtualBox Client   | A remote client for administering VirtualBox and its guests | application
      | python-virtualbox              | Python bindings for virtualbox                              | package     
    i | virtualbox                     | VirtualBox is an Emulator                                   | package     
      | virtualbox-devel               | Devel files for virtualbox                                  | package     
      | virtualbox-guest-desktop-icons | Icons for guest desktop files                               | package     
      | virtualbox-guest-kmp-default   | Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox                         | package     
      | virtualbox-guest-kmp-pae       | Guest kernel modules for VirtualBox                         | package     
      | virtualbox-guest-tools         | VirtualBox guest tools                                      | package     
      | virtualbox-guest-x11           | VirtualBox X11 drivers for mouse and video                  | package     
    i | virtualbox-host-kmp-default    | Host kernel module for VirtualBox                           | package     
      | virtualbox-host-kmp-pae        | Host kernel module for VirtualBox                           | package     
      | virtualbox-host-source         | Source files for virtualbox kernel modules                  | package     
    i | virtualbox-qt                  | Qt GUI part for virtualbox                                  | package     
      | virtualbox-websrv              | WebService GUI part for virtualbox                          | package  

as well as again
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
    vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
    vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

br simo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12