error: symbol "grub_tmp_measure" not found

>:)…just updated one of the TWs (old Athlon 64 bit eit KDE), after reboot I’m stuck with

Grub loading

Welcome to Grub!

error: symbol ‘grub_tmp_measure’ not found

Entering rescue mode…
and have a grub rescue console.

Another f… ehmm hick-up with TW?

Well, gee … TW is the rolling release pushing the envelope, is it not? Which is what is behind the warning that people who choose to use TW should expect to hit a few bumps now & then? Or, am I mistaken?:wink:

You have mismatch between core.img and on-disk grub modules. Usually this happens when modules are updated but core.img not. Which in turn usually happens when boot location in openSUSE configuration does not match you actual boot location (i.e. from where BIOS boots your system). Are you using EFI or legacy BIOS?

Hy arvid! It’s about ten years old, so BIOS-only… I only updated and did a reboot, so nothing else changed. Currently only one HDD installed with TW only (iirc).

So, someone else is experiencing this. This is the second time in less than a month that a regular update has broken grub.

It’d be nice to have something like the old OpenSUSE. The stuff in Leap is ancient.

Run GitHub - arvidjaar/bootinfoscript , upload RESULTS.txt to http://susepaste.org/

Hai Lin!

Totally OT: Yepp, Leap is really not an option, never worked for me. I still have some 13.2. Those were the days!

Parents out, script-kiddies have taken over TW. But no use in complaining here, only users trying to help (and some apologists of the script kiddies :wink: ). Maybe go to the reddit channel of opensuse (mostly apologists and some of the higher ranks on opensuse…). :shame:

Hy arvid!

No idea how to run a script on a machine not booting beyond rescue-GRUB :’(

Where is core.img supposed to be? I can’t find it. Nor could your script. Initially it found it on /dev/sda, but not on /dev/sda1, but after I tried reinstalling grub it can’t find it on either. I’m not able to upload the whole result file right now.

Some rescue system or live CD. I’m using systemrescuecd.

…so I guess It’s easier to do a fresh install of TW… Will wait and see if there is a solution here in the end.

Now I’m apparently able to boot again though.

Try following this: https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/startup/html/book.opensuse.startup/cha.trouble.html#sec.trouble.data.recover.rescue.grub

Worked! System back online… Many thanks to all trying to help :wink:

Had the same problem here.
Solved it by following LinAGKar’s advice.

Thank you!!

Cris

Doesn’t work for me:

mount -t none /mnt/procmount: can't find /mnt/proc in /etc/fstab

Ignoring this and chrooting anyway, then issuing

grub2-mkinstall -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfggrub2-install: error: cannot find a device for /boot/grub2 (is /dev mounted?)

Anyone with ideas?

That should be “mount -t proc none /mnt/proc”, not “mount -t none /mnt/proc”.

Uargh. Thanks. It is too late in the evening or I need new spectacles or whatever. I resolved it meanwhile: I had a manjaro install as well. I booted from a (manjaro) USB-stick and issued a grub-install (not grub2…) from there (won’t use “code” tags, formatting is mangled):sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mntsudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdaThat’s it. Only forgot the obligatory grub-mkconfig and so I’m booting an old kernel. Will rectify that next.Thanks for your input :-).

Darn. I wrote this on tumbleweed with firefox 52.0.1. Why does it get so mangled? I had it all properly formatted and now this … apologies, but not really my fault.