Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isolating different desktops

Default Isolating different desktops

I sometimes get the urge to try different desktops and these days play with them via compiz etc more out of curiosity really as so far kde suites me. I'm a bit put off by the fact that this has been known to mess up the main desktop settings that people usually use. Understandable because a lot of effort goes into making qt this and thats' compatible so that different apps from different sources can be run. I've installed one app from xfce for instance. I've read that the problem can be avoided by creating a new user and installing other desktops in that account.

I'm wondering how reliable that approach is ?

One possible problem might be added repo's causing updates that suit one and not the other. On that basis I do wonder if opensuse is being naughty by not storing repo's on a user basis where perhaps they should be under /home/config. If I knew how I might find it's possible to arrange for that by editing script files. That way if I tried anything dangerous that might break things and it did I could just delete the entire user account rather than having to appeal on here at times. It would also get round any update problems on either desktop.

Having seen just how easy it is to install some things from git on opensuse I think I might have a another question that relates to this. I'll just stick to this one first.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Blog Entries

Default Re: Isolating different desktops

I routinely install KDE, Gnome, XFCE. I used to also install LXDE, but this time around, I have instead installed LXqt. And, for good measure, I also install FVWM.

There isn't any big problem with this. The software is all built together, so there aren't any conflicts that I have run into.

I have occasionally found that if I login to XFCE a few times, then when I return to KDE, I get the XFCE menu instead of the KDE menu. This isn't a big problem, and corrects itself after a while.

My current practice is to use my main account for KDE and occasionally Icewm or FVWM. And I use a different use account if I want to login to Gnome or XFCE. That's to avoid the menu problem that I mentioned, although I'm not sure that is even happening anymore.

Based on my experience, the problems of using different desktop has been exaggerated. And, in any case, it is mainly a problem with user settings, so using different user accounts can avoid that.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Ok thanks.

Going a bit further I noticed that I could also install lxqt from git rather than stable. That left me wondering what would happen if I did that?

I've never done it but it is (probably not was) possible to compile the latest kde in a directory all on it's own and use it without interfering with people's normal configuration. To do that as library file upgrades are likely to be needed it sort of suggests it must some how take all it needs with it that isn't on the standard release or would have worked with those anyway. Maybe the git binaries work the same way ?

One thing that has put me off doing that with kde is compiling. It can get pretty hairy. It often isn't on newer releases of single applications. I didn't know that binary repo's were available.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I sometimes get the urge to try different desktops and these days play with them via compiz etc more out of curiosity really as so far kde suites me
    One slick way of trying them out is with Gecko Linux (an openSUSE-based distro that has a live DVD for each of several desktops). You may look into that.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~~~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

I just created another user and installed xfce via patterns in yast but I don't have any options to just login into xfce. Thought I had read that there should be. I just get kde again plus a few xfce bits in the start menu.

I noticed that when I added another user there is an option to create an empty home. Does that mean that it would then log into a console ? I could then use zypper to install a desktop but would need a list of pattern repo's. Also maybe some idea how to cause the the desktop to load automatically. Actually I would much prefer to do it this way as it would just contain items specifically related to the what ever desktop it was for.

If I do delete the user I have now added going on trying to create another account with root privileges I may still find the user is shown on the log in screen. I did it in the hope of getting 2 independent console histories as I was having to repeat a series of commands as root and it would have meant less scrolling back through the commands. Didn't work and the the user log in option didn't disappear off the log in screen after I deleted the account. It went eventually for other reasons.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

The log in for the deleted user did go this time. Maybe I didn't select delete their home last time.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

Quote Originally Posted by ajohnw View Post
    I just created another user and installed xfce via patterns in yast but I don't have any options to just login into xfce.
    -
    Let us start with this conclusion of your's. Please explain where you looked for it and did not found it. There should be a button/menu of some sort on the login screen.
    Henk van Velden

On the log in screen. I just get 2 users, click the one I have added and no other options other than log in.

I've just created the account again as I found an opensuse guide for installing lxqt via zypper. I don't need any repo addresses just the name of the desktop so I used the empty home option in yast and created the the other user again. Logged in and found I still had a kde desktop. Once upon a time I would have found a scripts that started desktops up but that doesn't look like it used to.

I'll now go back to that account and use yast patterns again and check again and then pop back on here.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26

To me it looks as if you are jumping up and down and mixing all sorts of events.

Installing software, being it patterns or packages has nothing to to with users that are or are not available on the system. Software is installed on the system in system directories. Not for a particular user.

Back to your login screen. I have KDE running on openSUSE 42.2. When I get the login screen it has lower left a menu button "Desktop Session User/System Default". When I click there it shows the different DEs availble (iceWM, Plasma 5, ....). Do you not have that?
    Henk van Velden

You seem to have a confusing idea about what you are (trying to) do. Most of the time I can not even understand what you are telling. There seem to be two things here that you are mixing, but that have no tight connection at all. I will try to comment on what I read, but I could understand you completely wrong, thus bear with me.

First you try to install other desktops, so that on login a user has a choice what DE session (s)he is going to use. You do that using YaST > Software Management, installing Patterns, which is fine. As all things in YaST that is done as the Superuser (root). You start YaST from a user's GUI session. It does not matter which user. You switch to root using YaST (it asks for the root password).

Second, you try to create a new user. You do that using YaST > Security and Users > Users and Groups. That is also fine. You ask about the feature: create an empty home directory. That is not something I would use on a "normal" user. User installation includes creation of a home directory (normally on /home/<username>) and there will be created a standard set of files and directories that will make the life of a "normal" user easier. E.g. .profile, bin and more. Not creating them might be embarrassing for the new user.
    Henk van Velden

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast