Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: MELT segfaults immediately

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    27

    Default MELT segfaults immediately

    Hi
    The MELT (or MELT6) command, which is critical to kdenlive (video editor) segfaults immediately it is run. This happens with the versions of MELT from the Opensuse and Packman repos.

    The failing module (in libmlt6-modules) is libmltfrei0r.so. If you remove this module from /usr/lib64/mlt-6 then MELT runs OK but presumably without access to any of the frei0r filters.

    The upshot of this is you can edit videos but you can't render the final result.

    Curiously, on Tumbleweed, it works OK. Unfortunately, I'm running Leap 42.2.

  2. #2

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Quote Originally Posted by lenscape View Post
    Hi
    The MELT (or MELT6) command, which is critical to kdenlive (video editor) segfaults immediately it is run. This happens with the versions of MELT from the Opensuse and Packman repos.

    The failing module (in libmlt6-modules) is libmltfrei0r.so. If you remove this module from /usr/lib64/mlt-6 then MELT runs OK but presumably without access to any of the frei0r filters.

    The upshot of this is you can edit videos but you can't render the final result.

    Curiously, on Tumbleweed, it works OK. Unfortunately, I'm running Leap 42.2.
    OK. I checked an got a segfault. So I started digging.

    First, make sure all your packages are from packman (go to packman repository in YAST and switch all system packages).
    Second, make sure that frei0r-plugins is not installed. That is from the wrong repository and will not work with the packman builds. The melt6 package includes frei0r.
    Also, install ladspa (my system was complaining that it was not installed when I tried to run melt). This may be irrelevant for you.

    After that, melt tried to display video but still segfaulted. That was resolved by setting my window decorations back to breeze.

    melt is no longer segfaulting on my Leap 42.2 system.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    That's fantastic. I may actually love you.

    I've just rendered a video successfully after some weeks of not being able to. (I've had quite a journey around various program forums, trying to work out where the problem was.)

    Many thanks.

  4. #4

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Glad I could help. I have a long standing battle with kdenlive. I used to build it form source because of issues with the repository packages. But that hasn't been an issue for a while, so I was well motivated when my belief in them was challenged. As a lesson, my recommendation is always to come here first. I've learned most of what I know from this community.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    It looks like we're not sorted yet.

    According to the MLT guys, the frei0r-plugins are not built into MLT - so if that package isn't installed, you're missing those goodies.

    I've checked this and compared the number of transitions on a Tumbleweed system with frei0r installed and there are loads more.

    So it looks like we're back with the frei0r-plugins package having a build problem on Leap 42.2.

  6. #6

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Quote Originally Posted by lenscape View Post
    It looks like we're not sorted yet.

    According to the MLT guys, the frei0r-plugins are not built into MLT - so if that package isn't installed, you're missing those goodies.

    I've checked this and compared the number of transitions on a Tumbleweed system with frei0r installed and there are loads more.

    So it looks like we're back with the frei0r-plugins package having a build problem on Leap 42.2.
    OK. I don't think I have a solution for you. I have never obsessed about the frei0r filters, as my kdenlive needs are not that sophisticated. I did try installing the frei0r-plugin packages from tumbleweed, as well as a number of different repos, but no joy. Your best bet is going to be to write to the mlt packman packager as see if (s)he is willing to build a frei0r-plugins package as well.

    Lacking that, there are only a few other options. Since you have access to a tumbleweed installation that you say works, you might look to see where kdenlive is installed from (packman or opensuse repo). If it is working with the opensuse frei0r-plugins package, probably it is the kdenlive from the original installation (not packman). If true, you could try reverting all your packman packages back to the Main repository. That is going to be quite a few packages, including kdenelive, mlt, ffmpeg, and libav*. It is something to try.

    Or you could try building everything from source and have your own complete installation that you maintain. I've done that in the past, but don't really recommend it. It's a pretty long build sequence, and it is much harder to get support when you run into trouble.

  7. #7

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Hm, I don't think there's a (general) problem with the frei0r-plugins package in 42.2, and it is definitely not "incompatible" to Packman's kdenlive and mlt packages either (which are the same versions than in the standard repo anyway).

    I just tried to render some small videos with frei0r-plugins installed and had no problems here (running 42.2).

  8. #8

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Hm, I don't think there's a (general) problem with the frei0r-plugins package in 42.2, and it is definitely not "incompatible" to Packman's kdenlive and mlt packages either (which are the same versions than in the standard repo anyway).

    I just tried to render some small videos with frei0r-plugins installed and had no problems here (running 42.2).
    Yeah, we may have gotten sidetracked by the fact that, for us, this command

    Code:
    melt nameofvideo.mp4
    causes a segfault if the frei0r-plugins package is installed. No segfault is observed if it is not installed. Wolfi, can you confirm that melt does not segfault on your system?

    I do have an additional data point. I went ahead and built frei0r-plugins from source. melt segfaults. I then went through the process of elimination, and discovered that it is the filters that begin with "cairo" that are the source of the problem. With all others installed, melt works fine. I don't have an explanation, just the observation to share.

  9. #9

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Quote Originally Posted by JJMT View Post
    Yeah, we may have gotten sidetracked by the fact that, for us, this command

    Code:
    melt nameofvideo.mp4
    causes a segfault if the frei0r-plugins package is installed. No segfault is observed if it is not installed. Wolfi, can you confirm that melt does not segfault on your system?
    No, it doesn't.
    It plays the video instead...

    I do have an additional data point. I went ahead and built frei0r-plugins from source. melt segfaults. I then went through the process of elimination, and discovered that it is the filters that begin with "cairo" that are the source of the problem. With all others installed, melt works fine. I don't have an explanation, just the observation to share.
    Seems to be related to cairo then, or an incompatibility between the installed cairo and frei0r-plugins.
    What does "rpm -qi libcairo2" say?

    OTOH:
    Code:
    Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output support.
    Currently supported output targets include the X Window System,
    in-memory image buffers, and PostScript. Cairo is designed to produce
    identical output on all output media while taking advantage of display
    hardware acceleration when available.
    So it may even be a graphics driver issue.

    Do you get any error messages in the terminal when melt/the cairo plugins crash?
    Does the backtrace have a clue maybe?

    What graphics driver are you using?

    One thing that has caused problems for users in the past (including me starting with 42.2) is libvdpau_va_gl1. I would suggest trying to uninstall it if it is installed.
    Though I have no idea whether cairo would use VDPAU...

  10. #10

    Default Re: MELT segfaults immediately

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    It plays the video instead...
    Lucky you.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    What does "rpm -qi libcairo2" say?
    Code:
    john@linux-5vqd:~> rpm -qi libcairo2
    Name        : libcairo2
    Version     : 1.15.2
    Release     : 4.2
    Architecture: x86_64
    Install Date: Wed 22 Feb 2017 09:17:51 PM EST
    Group       : System/Libraries
    Size        : 1665491
    License     : LGPL-2.1+ or MPL-1.1
    Signature   : RSA/SHA256, Fri 07 Oct 2016 07:14:15 PM EDT, Key ID b88b2fd43dbdc284
    Source RPM  : cairo-1.15.2-4.2.src.rpm
    Build Date  : Fri 07 Oct 2016 07:13:46 PM EDT
    Build Host  : lamb08
    Relocations : (not relocatable)
    Packager    : http://bugs.opensuse.org
    Vendor      : openSUSE
    URL         : http://cairographics.org/
    Summary     : Vector Graphics Library with Cross-Device Output Support
    Description :
    Cairo is a vector graphics library with cross-device output support.
    Currently supported output targets include the X Window System,
    in-memory image buffers, and PostScript. Cairo is designed to produce
    identical output on all output media while taking advantage of display
    hardware acceleration when available.
    Distribution: openSUSE Leap 42.2
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Do you get any error messages in the terminal when melt/the cairo plugins crash?
    Does the backtrace have a clue maybe?
    Code:
    john@linux-5vqd:~/kdenlive> melt "test render.mp4"
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    I'm afraid I don't know how to respond to the backtrace question.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    What graphics driver are you using?
    I don't know about the OP, but I am using the nvidia proprietary driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    One thing that has caused problems for users in the past (including me starting with 42.2) is libvdpau_va_gl1. I would suggest trying to uninstall it if it is installed.
    Though I have no idea whether cairo would use VDPAU...
    libvdpau_va_gl1 is not installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •