Thread: zypper and the logic it uses to determine higher and lower versions

Question zypper and the logic it uses to determine higher and lower versions

Friends:

Thank you in advance for you time and attention.

I am trying to understand how package higher and lower versions are determined by zypper

For example
    Package 1 is objectgrid-3.6.0_444.2-36
    Package 2 is objectgrid-3.6.0_Audit.19-36

The Package 2 was created after the Package 1 was created but zypper says Package 2 is a lower version.

I am not sure on what basis is it determining that Package 2 is lower version than package 1.

The selected package 'objectgrid-3.6.0_Audit.19-36.x86_64' from repository 'Plain RPM files cache' has lower version than the installed one. Use 'zypper install --oldpackage objectgrid-3.6.0_Audit.19-36.x86_64' to force installation of the package.

Any idea why and how to find out the logic zypper uses ?

Regards,
    -Narahari

Default Re: zypper and the logic it uses to determine higher and lower versions

Even I do not understand what is higher: 444.2-36 or Audit.19-36. Maybe zypper sorts this according to the ASCII sequence? Or uses a different sorting? In any case it does know nothing about creation date/time as you seem to assume.
    Last edited by hcvv; 09-Mar-2017 at 04:01.
    Henk van Velden

Thank You for your time Mr. Velden.

I was not expecting the time to be used but I was throwing out wild possibilities.

Anyone knows if there is an IRC channel for zypper or a mailing list for zypper related questions ?

-N

Blog Entries

Intuitively and likely practically,
    I'd always consider that versions are numerical only, so the word "Audit" would not be considered a newer version, in fact would be considered <older> than a similar file name with a longer numerical version number. Longer numerical strings in the name usually denote subversions of the original version.

the only way to evaluate a named and non-numerical version is an alternate way would be to inspect the metadata, like the date created.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by savithari View Post
    Thank You for your time Mr. Velden.

I was not expecting the time to be used but I was throwing out wild possibilities.

Anyone knows if there is an IRC channel for zypper or a mailing list for zypper related questions ?

-N
    Well, I tried to convene the message that having such such version strings is asking for problems. IMHO it would be better that you explain on which repository/ies you found those packages. I doubt things like this happen on the official repos. When that is indeed on other repos, you could try to contact the maintainer to ask an explanation from him.
    Henk van Velden