Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenSuse on a Dell 13-5368 13.3 Screen?

Default OpenSuse on a Dell 13-5368 13.3 Screen?

Hi, I just got a Dell Laptop 13-5368 and am looking for the best distro to run on it.
    One thing I have noticed after running Mint, LinuxLite and a few other distro on
    this laptop is that the dispayed graphics are WAY TOO SMALL!! I tried changing the
    screen resolution from 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) down to lower resolutions and all it
    did was create smaller squares within the displayed area. How ruidiculous! I'm
    kind of sorry I bought it. But now I'm past the return date, so I need to deal with it.

Will this distro adjust to the screen real estate like Windows and Mac does? Most
    Linux distros that I have tried do NOT adjust. They seem to be one size fits all.
    Though they really don't fit... unless you are younger and have eyes of a Hawk!!

Any suggestions will be much appreciated... 8-)

Here are all the specs on this laptop: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-i...english/specs/

Default Re: OpenSuse on a Dell 13-5368 13.3 Screen?

openSUSE Tumbleweed should work fine on that laptop. But regarding the resolution problems, I can't guarantee what it will look like. Tumbleweed is certainly worth a try.
    Tumbleweed on a Dell Inspiron 15 - 5578

I DL'ed Tumbleweed and found it will not boot LIVE to try it. I cannot install it right now. I'm waiting for a new SSD to arrive
    to install to. I will leave the factory SSD alone for when I go to sell this laptop and will be ready to go.

Will LEAP provide a LIVE version to test?

Edit: I just tried running the installation just to see if it would offer to install next to Win10. But I got an error that prompted me:

It says: SORRY, linuxrc crashed at address 0x00658188

What does this mean?

Quote Originally Posted by JakkHakk View Post
    I DL'ed Tumbleweed and found it will not boot LIVE to try it. I cannot install it right now. I'm waiting for a new SSD to arrive
    to install to. I will leave the factory SSD alone for when I go to sell this laptop and will be ready to go.

Will LEAP provide a LIVE version to test?
    For a live openSUSE distro, go to GeckoLinux and choose the appropriate image.

Hi, I just got a Dell Laptop 13-5368 and am looking for the best distro to run on it.
    One thing I have noticed after running Mint, LinuxLite and a few other distro on
    this laptop is that the dispayed graphics are WAY TOO SMALL!! I tried changing the
    screen resolution from 1920 x 1080 (Full HD) down to lower resolutions and all it
    did was create smaller squares within the displayed area.
    In general, you're best advised to stay at the native display resolution and work on increasing the font and icon sizes. It might be that the DPI/screen size is being mis-reported, so that can be over-ridden if necessary. Some of the tweaks are specific to the desktop environment you're using, but I'm sure that others can advise further if necessary.

if no luck with leap (older kernel) you might be better with tumbleweed on new hardware. i have 4k laptop and screen is fine using kde plasma. first thing to try would be scale in monitor settings (use integer values only) im using 2X but this will most likely be too big for FHD. Next thing to try would be 'force dpi' in font settings. If not then as mentioned above you can adjust font and icon sizes etc as mentioned. As mentioned most screen hardware misrepresents itself so 'working out of the box' is not the norm. [you often have to log out and in again for many changes]. Tumbleweed has live usb, but you have to choose fixed desktop, and is not recommended for performing the installation.

Tumbleweed works fine on the XPS13, but the resolution is so high that most applications are close to unusable. Here are different things you can try

1) At Plasma level change the font size with a minimum of 22dpi and change pointer arrow size. Then in Display/Scaling choose a scale of 1.5 (or 2, but this can be too big)

2) For the konsole, you configure a profile for normal user and one for root with decent color, font and size.
    3) For Thunderbird or Seamonkey you need to create a userChrome.css with a font size of 24pt
    4) For Firefox in about:config change the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 2
    5) Adjust the taskbar to the right height

By playing on all these parameters, and a few more for each applications, you will get a desktop where characters are readable. But it may take some time before everything is good enough.

PS: Sorry I realize you have another Dell and not the XPS13. Still a smalll screen and some of these advices can be useful

I'm trying to install this distro to the Dell and I can't for the life of me... get past the Network/wifi set up!
    WHY is it so F#$%^&% HARD to get wifi working?? wow...

Not to mention... the having to agree to the Microshaft look-a-like EULA!!

Quote Originally Posted by JakkHakk View Post
    I'm trying to install this distro to the Dell and I can't for the life of me... get past the Network/wifi set up!
    WHY is it so F#$%^&^% HARD to get wifi working?? wow...

Not to mention... the having to agree to the Microshaft look-a-like EULA!!
    Hi
    If you want help I suggest take a deep breath and cut out the profanity innuendo’s...

So, is this during configuration/install or after install? Some wireless cards need firmware to run, looks like it's a newish intel card?

See http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...000005511.html

The iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode isn't preset in the kernel, hence the download and install manually as indicated in the above link and I suspect it will start to work....
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.2 (x86_64) GNOME 3.20.2
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

It's simply frusteration as I have tried everything *I* know to get it working.
    MOST other distros, you simply choose the SSID froma list and type in the
    pass code and viola! Not THIS distro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast