Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong

Default What is wrong

What is the deal.

I have tried numerous times this day to install Leap42.2. I have tried the net version as well as the full iso version. It will go as far as the screen with the green stripe. It will set there at the green stripe for around 10 minutes then go into standby. I will bring it out of standby and it will set at the green stripe for another 10 minutes and then go into another standby. I did this for at least 4 standby's before I gave up.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is.
    Mike

AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.10, ATI Radeon HD Graphics

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by mike7757 View Post
    What is the deal.

I have tried numerous times this day to install Leap42.2. I have tried the net version as well as the full iso version. It will go as far as the screen with the green stripe. It will set there at the green stripe for around 10 minutes then go into standby. I will bring it out of standby and it will set at the green stripe for another 10 minutes and then go into another standby. I did this for at least 4 standby's before I gave up.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is.
    See if the advice in this thread helps
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...45#post2738745
    * Specifically post #3 about booting with 'nomodeset' option.

This may also be helpful....
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...allation-fails

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    See if the advice in this thread helps
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...45#post2738745
    * Specifically post #3 about booting with 'nomodeset' option.

This may also be helpful....
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...allation-fails
    Nothing wrong with memory, recently did a memtest on it all. I do not have nvidia anything. Mine is ATI.
    Mike

AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 435 Processor, (RAM): 8.0 GiB, openSUSE Leap 42.2, (x86_64)

Blog Entries

No, but you could still have a graphics issue of some kind. Did you give it a shot yet?

No, but you could still have a graphics issue of some kind. Did you give it a shot yet?
    I will give it a go.
    Mike

I couldn't get anything done. Nothing made sense.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Since forever,
    If your machine has <any> somewhat unusual hardware, it can take a long time for the install to probe your hardware and locate appropriate drivers. Just have patience, in almost all scenarios, eventually the probing will conclude successfully eventually, and then continue your install.

In the meantime, it's very important for you to disable your machine going to sleep, and/or blacking the screen.
    It's very likely that you need to modify a setting (ACPI?) in your BIOS settings.

Also,
    It helps to make sure you have sufficient resources, the less you have the harder your machine will have to work.
    So,
    At least 2GB, preferably more than 4GB of RAM. If you're installing with less, say so because then there are special things you need to do.
    At least 30GB of free, unformatted space. If you're multi-booting, you need to prepare your hard drive.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

are you installing in uefi or legacy
    have you disabled secure boot
    do you have windows 10 on that machine if so did you do a clean shutdown, 10's fast boot is a hybrid form of hibernation and may cause issues
    if so disable fast boot in windows and do a clean shut down

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Since forever,
    If your machine has <any> somewhat unusual hardware, it can take a long time for the install to probe your hardware and locate appropriate drivers. Just have patience, in almost all scenarios, eventually the probing will conclude successfully eventually, and then continue your install.

In the meantime, it's very important for you to disable your machine going to sleep, and/or blacking the screen.
    It's very likely that you need to modify a setting (ACPI?) in your BIOS settings.

Also,
    It helps to make sure you have sufficient resources, the less you have the harder your machine will have to work.
    So,
    At least 2GB, preferably more than 4GB of RAM. If you're installing with less, say so because then there are special things you need to do.
    At least 30GB of free, unformatted space. If you're multi-booting, you need to prepare your hard drive.

TSU
    All I have extra are 2 usb cards, nothing unusual about them. I have 8 gig of memory. I went into my bios and tried to disable ACPI but was not able to.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    are you installing in uefi or legacy
    have you disabled secure boot
    I do not have anything windows on this machine. maybe you can point me in a direction of these three things.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast