symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1: undefined symbol: EVP_aes_256_ctr

Hi,

I’ve noticed that running:

optirun 0ad

returns:

/usr/bin/pyrogenesis: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1: undefined symbol: EVP_aes_256_ctr

(although oddly running 0ad without optirun launches without the same issue, although running 0ad oddly does seem to kill kwin_x11, which causes me to have to run kstart kwin_x11). Likewise running:

optirun $HOME/Programs/usr/bin/runescape-launcher

(with $HOME/Programs/usr/bin/runescape-launcher being installed via a method described in this earlier thread) returns:

/home/fusion809/Programs/usr/share/games/runescape-launcher/runescape: /usr/lib64/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /home/fusion809/Programs/usr/share/games/runescape-launcher/runescape)
/home/fusion809/Programs/usr/share/games/runescape-launcher/runescape: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1: undefined symbol: EVP_aes_256_ctr

while running:

$HOME/Programs/usr/bin/runescape-launcher

launches fine. Likewise on a non-optirun related note I noticed that running:

bundle install

from a local copy of the git repo for my Jekyll-powered website, The Hornery, returns errors related to it failing to build the rubygem, rugged. Investigating this problem further one finds that the error:

symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/libssh2.so.1: undefined symbol: EVP_aes_256_ctr

was at the root of this problem too! Now does anyone know what I need to do to fix this error? Like do I need to rebuild the libssh2-1 package using alternate configure options?

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/522787-What-provides-libcurl-so-4(CURL_OPENSSL_3)(64bit)

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/522828-optirun-fails-failed-to-set-DRM-interface-version-1-4-Permission-denied

this thread

You know, I don’t want to annoy you, but let me give you a graphical impression, what is happening here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbd4t-ua-WQ

AK

Anything helpful to add? Like sure it does seem like everytime I plug a problem I find another one, but unlike Sideshow Bob I am getting somewhere. I am now able to use RuneScape’s NXT Client on openSUSE without chroots/Docker, I am also able to use optirun for most apps. So if someone can offer me helpful advice I might be able to find a solution for all these problems.

No, you are getting hit over and over again by the same problem.

You are trying to run some (proprietary) software built against some other distro linked against libraries built from/for other distros and get exactly those errors which are to be expected if you are not (very) lucky.

The error you get here is different from the one you got in your “wrong libcurl thread”, but the cause is the same (and a possible workaround would also be the same.).

So the little clip is really similar to what you are running into, although Sideshow Bob is getting hit by different rakes every few seconds, I am pretty sure the pain is always the same.
AK

Rofl only one of the apps I am complaining about an error from are proprietary… In that case you are right, yes, one solution was to get the appropriate libssh2 library from Ubuntu 14.04 – the platform the NXT Client was compiled for. But the rugged rubygem and 0ad are both open-source software.

That’s why I put the word proprietary into brackets.

Symbol lookup errors are a clear indication of what I pointed out after that.

I have no idea where you got the other components from, but clearly at least one of them has to suffer a similar problem, otherwise this symbol lookup error would not occur.

Another possibility would be that your scripts contain so many directives using preloading mechanisms interfering with each other so one preload kills another application due to the same cause (wrong version of $lib for $binary).

As said before, you are getting hit by the same problem over and over again, you just got around to find new and interesting ways to get hit.

AK