Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: /grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod not found after recent update

Default /grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod not found after recent update

I ran zypper dup last night, and shut my laptop down. Now, when I try to start it I get a error saying "error: file '/grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod' not found.", and it enters a grub rescue console. Note that this is a 64-bit system using legacy BIOS boot. The system is on an encrypted LVM partition, with /boot on an ext2 partition outside of LVM.

Default Re: /grub2/i386-pc/normal.mod not found after recent update

Please run https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript and make RESULTS.txt available.

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Please run https://github.com/arvidjaar/bootinfoscript and make RESULTS.txt available.
    http://pastebin.com/cGsjbqqX

Apparently /boot/grub2/i386-pc directory is gone. Is your /boot partition full?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Apparently /boot/grub2/i386-pc directory is gone. Is your /boot partition full?
    No, far from it. It's only using 35 MiB out of 1 GiB. That directory does indeed not exist. Nor do I have any memory of it ever existing. Is that not just for UEFI and 32-bit? There is a /boot/grub2/x86-64 directory though, but it's empty, and there is also a btrfs subvolume on the root partition for /boot/grub2/i386-pc, which would hide the directory on the boot partition when the system is running, and which is also empty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LinAGKar View Post
    No, far from it. It's only using 35 MiB out of 1 GiB. That directory does indeed not exist. Nor do I have any memory of it ever existing. Is that not just for UEFI and 32-bit? There is a /boot/grub2/x86-64 directory though, but it's empty, and there is also a btrfs subvolume on the root partition for /boot/grub2/i386-pc, which would hide the directory on the boot partition when the system is running, and which is also empty.
    That i386-pc is for normal grub2 (not UEFI). The "x86_64-efi" is for 64-bit UEFI. As far as I know, opensuse does not yet support 32-bit UEFI.

I'm going to guess what happened. Something went wrong during the install, "/boot" was not properly mounted. So the grub2 files are in the root directory.

That happened to me with opensuse 13.1 (I think one of the beta releases, where I experimented with "btrfs"). The bug was supposedly solved, but maybe you found a way to trigger it.

My "solution" was to copy the files to "/boot". As I recall, I booted into rescue mode, and mounted the root directory at "/mnt". And I mounted my "/boot" at "/mnt/mnt". And then I copied, using
    Code:
    cd /mnt/mnt
    ( cd /mnt/boot && tar cf - .) | tar xpf -
    I then unmounted "/mnt/mnt" and remounted that partition at "/mnt/boot". Then I did the other stuff needed for chroot mode, and reinstalled grub2.
    opensuse Leap 42.3; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm going to guess what happened. Something went wrong during the install, "/boot" was not properly mounted. So the grub2 files are in the root directory.
    I don't have a i368-pc directory on the root partition either though, and I don't remember having one, but maybe I'm mistaken. It's worked fine so far though.

That happened to me with opensuse 13.1 (I think one of the beta releases, where I experimented with "btrfs"). The bug was supposedly solved, but maybe you found a way to trigger it.
    This system also initially had OpenSUSE 13.1 installed, with Btrfs (not a beta though). Where's the bug you mentioned?

Anyway, I've now reinstalled the bootloader according to this: https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...er.rescue.grub, which did create the /boot/grub2/i386-pc directory, and I can now boot again. The grub boot menu is now text-only though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LinAGKar View Post
    Where's the bug you mentioned?
    That seems to be bug 827520.

I'm glad you have it working.

The grub boot menu is now text-only though.
    You might be missing one or more of the directories "backgrounds", "fonts", "locale", :"themes under "/boot/grub2". If my guess is right, those exist on your root file system (hidden by the mounted "/boot").

You can use:
    Code:
    # mount --bind / /mnt
    and then look at "/mnt/boot" and below to see what is there.

That seems to be bug 827520.
    You might be missing one or more of the directories "backgrounds", "fonts", "locale", :"themes under "/boot/grub2". If my guess is right, those exist on your root file system (hidden by the mounted "/boot").
    The "backgrounds" and "themes" directories does seem to be missing. They're not on the root partition though, the only thing in /boot on the root partition seems to be the /boot/grub2/x86_64-efi subvolume.

Blog Entries

They are part of the package "grub2-branding-openSUSE".

Install that package. If it shows as already installed, then do a forced reinstall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast