Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video corrpution issues

Default Video corrpution issues

Ok, I keep having weird issues with OpenSuse 42.2 I have an Nvidia 750ti video card. When I'm minimizing and maximizing apps in KDE, the video often is corrputed and only part of the app is visible. I tried following the instructions

zypper addrepo --refresh http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2 NVIDIA
    zypper install-new-recommends

Thinking if I installed the nvidia drivers it would maybe fix my issue. After doing the steps above, my OS didn't boot. It just booted me to a recovery mode. I logged in and used yast to uninstall all nvidia related packages. Rebooted and I'm back into KDE. I still wonder if I got Nvidia drivers to work if it would fix my issue. Or maybe it's something else.

Default Re: Video corrpution issues

Here's a link of a picture of what my screen does often.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r9hy65d38...93153.jpg?dl=0

Firefox was showing my gmail inbox but then the whole center of the screen went gray. If I were to start moving my mouse around, it would start making blocks where I can see parts of the screen of what's there. If I do it enough, then the whole screen will come back. Or minimize and maximize.

Blog Entries

I assume you are running a standard workstation/pc with a single GPU
    In which case your GPU driver OOTB will be nouveau.
    Typically I would install / select the nvidia packages manually, though once the repos is added and enabled, once you open software manager they will often show as ready to install without your direct input. So I just wonder if it is pre-selecting the correct one
    Which I think should be
    nvidia-computeG04-375.26-19.1.x86_64.rpm
    nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default-375.26_k4.4.27_2-19.1.x86_64.rpm
    x11-video-nvidiaG04-375.26-19.1.x86_64.rpm
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Some reason, I thought I posted an update last night... but I guess not. My last attempt at installing nvidia failed as usual. But then I went into software manager uninstalled nvidia like I've done so many times and installed the nouvea drivers. My pc is running far from acceptable. Only my left monitor is turned on. And the graphics are pathetic and extremely choppy. Any idea how to get it to back just working on the nouvea driver the way it was when I first installed?

Quote Originally Posted by dorlow View Post
    Some reason, I thought I posted an update last night... but I guess not. My last attempt at installing nvidia failed as usual. But then I went into software manager uninstalled nvidia like I've done so many times and installed the nouvea drivers. My pc is running far from acceptable. Only my left monitor is turned on. And the graphics are pathetic and extremely choppy. Any idea how to get it to back just working on the nouvea driver the way it was when I first installed?
    Sounds like you actually don't use nouveau at all. Likely there's some blacklist left, or you added "nomodeset" to the boot options, or you didn't install the correct nouveau package(s).

Please post /var/log/Xorg.0.log for further diagnosis.
    It would likely also be helpful to see it in case the nvidia driver is installed and does not work.

And please post a list of all (possibly) installed nvidia/nouveau packages:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | egrep "nvidia|nouveau"
    Btw, what exactly do you mean with "It just booted me to a recovery mode" in your first post?

And a side-note: there is no point in uninstalling nouveau in the first place. The only thing that can cause problems when installing nvidia is the nouveau *kernel module*, but the nvidia packages should take care of that. And you cannot uninstall that anyway, as it is part of the standard kernel package.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Feb-2017 at 05:06.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Btw, what exactly do you mean with "It just booted me to a recovery mode" in your first post?
    I mean it booted to a CLI only.

Is there a way to reconfigure the graphics from scratch using some kind of wizard that would just put the graphics exactly how it was right after the install?

Here's the output.

linux-11fn:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d # rpm -qa | egrep "nvidia|nouveau"
    xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.12-1.5.x86_64
    libdrm_nouveau2-2.4.68-1.4.x86_64
    nvidia-compute-340.101-31.1.x86_64
    Mesa-dri-nouveau-11.2.2-166.1.x86_64
    libvdpau_nouveau-11.2.2-166.1.x86_64
    dkms-nvidia-340.101-29.1.x86_64

I mean it booted to a CLI only.
    Well, that's not "some kind of recovery mode".
    That means that Xorg failed to start.

Either because it couldn't load the graphics driver, or because something crashed. (e.g. the sddm login manager, which is default in 42.2, requires working OpenGL support, i.e. it won't run with a broken nvidia installation)

Is there a way to reconfigure the graphics from scratch using some kind of wizard that would just put the graphics exactly how it was right after the install?
    No.
    If you didn't change anything manually, the graphics should be "exactly how it was right after the install" anyway.
    Here's the output.

linux-11fn:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d # rpm -qa | egrep "nvidia|nouveau"
    xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.12-1.5.x86_64
    libdrm_nouveau2-2.4.68-1.4.x86_64
    nvidia-compute-340.101-31.1.x86_64
    Mesa-dri-nouveau-11.2.2-166.1.x86_64
    libvdpau_nouveau-11.2.2-166.1.x86_64
    dkms-nvidia-340.101-29.1.x86_64
    I suppose that last package broke your nvidia installation.
    Uninstall it!
    And also uninstall nvidia-compute.

Both are version 340.101, i.e. from the G03 driver.
    (nvidia-compute should not really matter, but dkms-nvidia contains the nvidia kernel module and will likely break the G04 driver)

If you install the nvidia G04 driver afterwards, it should work I suppose.

Your other packages look ok.
    But without the Xorg.0.log it's impossible to tell what happens.

Uninstalling dkms-nvidia may already be enough to get nouveau working though, as it may blacklist nouveau (needed to get nvidia working).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Feb-2017 at 07:13.

Here's a link to the log.
    According to that log, you use an xorg.conf that only tries to load vboxvideo, vmware, modesetting, fbdev, and vesa.
    It ends up using fbdev, which explains why your second monitor is not working.

Delete the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and you should be using nouveau again.
    An explicit config file is not necessary since years.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast