Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KDE is down the drain...

Default Re: KDE is down the drain...

Quote Originally Posted by flymail View Post
    Teuniz;2811816 Wrote:
    > KDE is unstable and full of bugs. When most bugs have been fixed and KDE
    > is finally stable,
    > support stops and a new major version is offered which again is unstable

My personal experience of KDE5 is that it seems much more bug-free on openSUSE than on other GNU/Linux distributions.
    Perhaps KDE's own forum would therefore be a more suitable target for such a critique. Most of my time in KDE is spent
    inside konsole, and I find it very stable.
    That's a comment that crops up now and again from other distro users.

Me well I am primarily a desktop user and frankly I can't see what all of the moans are about. On 42.2 I have found one bug - sound and another more recently with plymouth as it's generating a core dump every time I reboot. That has no apparent effect on running my system and given what it does I must admit I do wonder why it was written as I have never noticed any screen flicker during boot and wouldn't care two hoots within reason if it did flicker.

Two points come up here. Sometimes ex windows users might run tumbleweed or it's equivalent on other distro's to get the latest greatest. Sometimes these are referred to as cutting edge. Sounds great but a better description would be pre beta. How much so depending on the distro. Then there is things like plymouth, why did it happen? Probably because some one wanted to do it in their own unpaid spare time. There may also be other reasons for the change other than flicker. Most things on linux past the kernel happen because some one feels like doing it / wants some specific feature. If the people who are around who are working on it agree things change. Those are never a consistent set of the same people for very long.

Actual applications are a bit different. Often the latest stable releases can be installed without any problem. These often aren't supported by opensuse. It takes time to put a distro together that works so the application releases are bound to get ahead of what's in it by the time it's released especially when the distro is known to be less problematic than others.

I've run suse later opensuse with kde for a long time. I'd say that the main problem with running linux is how often machines have to be updated to new distro releases. One plus though is that installs don't take long at all compared with windows and using the opensuse dvd means that lots of applications can be installed right from the word go. In my case it doesn't take long to add the others I need via the disto software search. That just leaves things that I want to keep. I usually copy my entire home directory across to a plug in disk also bookmarks. I did that as root the first time I did it. Silly me as that changes the ownership of everything. Doing this allows me to import lots of things into the new installation. Bookmarks have proved troublesome because leap stores those in a different place to where they were previously. The new arrangement is far more sensible. Other similar aspects are as well.

The leap 42.2 upgrade has taken me a lot longer than upgrades usually do. Bug in the sound system that took a while to sort out but the main reason is that I decided not to upgrade the disks and do it after the upgrade. The actual install had a problem as well. My home directory is on a raid and it put it somewhere else.

I didn't use the dvd's upgrade option when I moved to leap. It's not something I would trust especially as there will be a lot of kde4 still around. I used to update on point 3 releases. The ones viewed as finished. I'd see point 1's as an intro to the changes with even more 4 in it, maybe with some duplication from 5. That happened when kde 4 was released. I'd see point 2's as true betas. 42.2 is an excellent one and I hope opensuse stick to the 3 year cycle.

Another problem with running linux is that it's free. Some people in some quarters think that's the only reason people run it - can't afford anything better. I've had a lot of that in photo circles. It's not why I run it. On balance I feel it's better than windows in several ways. My machine doesn't crawl. Isn't subject to major upgrades that make things worse and are probably really aimed at getting people to upgrade. And a number of other reasons as well such as developers can be influenced. That's a big plus as I see it but it's no use asking for major changes that need complete rewrites so some one with a software background is more likely to be successful. More likely to report bugs which really are bugs too.

My opinion of 5 is that it's had a much better start than 4 did and as odd as it may sound that's probably why 4 was abandoned and 5 started, Bad starts in software often lead to bad ends that can't go any where else. Things like kde3 get modded so often that there comes a point when it's rather difficult to do anything with them. Windows is much the same. It's had numerous rewrites in several areas. Do people really expect things to stop as they are for ever at some point? And if 5 is full of bugs why aren't I seeing them. I do more or less the same with my machine as many others.

John
    -
    Leap 42.2 KDE 5.26
    3.6gig Xeon, 64bit SATA Raid home - Linux Raid 1
    All software on a flash drive, SATA swap & Temp files,

Quote Originally Posted by Cloddy View Post
    On 27/03/17 05:56, Fraser Bell wrote:
    >
    > Cloddy;2817400 Wrote:
    >> KDE4 was OK from 4.3 and Plasma5 from 5.8. Wonder how long we'll have to
    >> wait for a Plasma6 to be usable? 6.13?

>
    > ... actually, I suspect it might be version 6.66?
    >
    >

I heard some years ago that 666 was a miscalculation for the sign of the
    Devil and it should have been 616 - so 6.16?

Still got a little spooked a while back when I went to the butcher's and
    my bill was totted up to £6.66. I then walked across to the Londis store
    and when I took my purchases to the checkout, the bill came to £6.66.
    Shiver!

--
    Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5.9.3; Qt 5.7.1; Kernel 4.10.4;
    AMD Athlon X4 860K Processor; Sound: FCH Azalia;
    Video: nVidia GeForce 210 (Driver: nouveau)

Actually, I am convinced it has all been seriously mis-translated ... but, we do not discuss it any further, or we get into discussing religion -- a no-no here.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Lightbulb Re: KDE is down the drain...

On 23/03/17 15:36, flymail wrote:
    Yes, it's been mostly OK for me from version 5.8 but why was numbering
    system of 5.0 to 5.7 used instead of 5.0 alpha/beta/rc? I know they did
    the same for KDE4 as they admitted beforehand that the early releases
    were only suitable for testing; this time they wait to admit Plasma5
    wasn't fit for general public to use until the release of 5.8.
    KDE 5.8 is an LTS (Long Term Support) release meaning it will be supported for a longer period. It doesn't mean it is "stable" and all other versions prior were "unstable".
    I plastered all these walls with colour...

My personal experience of KDE5 is that it seems much more bug-free on openSUSE than on other GNU/Linux distributions.
    That certainly has been my personal experience. I'm still only relatively new to openSUSE & TW [>May 2017], but i did change to it explicitly because based on my extensive testing its KDE P5 deployment, for whatever reason, proved substantially more robust & reliable than i ever achieved with Mint KDE, Maui, Neon, Kubuntu, & KaOS. In particular TW's KWin stability has been much greater... albeit not perfect [several hours ago my Tower's TW KWin crashed, & self-recovered in the usual way, but... for the first time in TW, all my multiple windows arranged across my 9 VDs in my primary Activity, now also were present in my secondary Activity. That was disappointing, but to date that's the first & only time Tower's TW has done that to me, whilst my Lappy's TW has never done it. By contrast, KWin crashes were a very frequent occurrence in all those other distros [KaOS maybe a little better than the *buntu-derivatives], AND accompanying most of those crashes were windows occupying ALL Activities [& sometimes all windows jumping all to one single VD]. Furthermore, many days i discover just little subtleties that work better / smoother for me in TW than i experienced in the others. So, for me, so far, my decision to leave Maui [my hitherto latest distro] for TW KDE has been amply rewarded [with nearly-perfect behaviour]. Prior to TW, Maui was far & away my best ever Plasma5 experience, but TW is better again.

On 2017-08-02, GooeyGirl <GooeyGirl@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
    >
    > flymail;2817330 Wrote:
    >> My personal experience of KDE5 is that it seems much more bug-free on
    >> openSUSE than on other GNU/Linux distributions.

>
    > That -certainly- has been my personal experience.

I suspect that the openSUSE/SLEX Developers are active contributors the KDE project. It seems that quite a few bugs are
    patched by the time KDE reaches openSUSE `factory'. Unfortunately it also seems these fixes don't go back upstream
    because these KDE5 bugs seem to persist on even very recent versions of KDE on other GNU/Linux distributions.

One thing is certain however: whatever issues there are in KDE5 they are very minor. I therefore do not understand why
    some people rant about why KDE `is down the drain' but I guess that they haven't configured their system correctly. I
    haven't tried KDE in openSUSE Leap 42.3 yet (since it seems to me virtually identical to 42.2 with minimal updates), but
    of all things that can go wrong, KDE would be one of the last I would suspect.

I suspect that the openSUSE/SLEX Developers are active contributors the KDE project.
    SUSE is a KDE sponsor . . . openSUSE is funded by SUSE . . .

Recent KDE news feeds have indicated that, the KDE folks are taking a serious look at openQA -- which they will need to do anyway if, they wish that, their packages will be be accepted into the official openSUSE repositories . . .

On 27/03/17 05:56, Fraser Bell wrote:

I heard some years ago that 666 was a miscalculation for the sign of the
    Devil and it should have been 616 - so 6.16?
    That was actually a manuscript discrepancy from the Latin, but one that elucidates its intended referent. Check out this Numberphile episode: https://youtu.be/UkZqFtYtqaI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12